Another Norfolk Southern Derailment in Ohio!

Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2023, 09:49 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,663 Times in 1,778 Posts
Default Another Norfolk Southern Derailment in Ohio!

This one occurred near the Clark County Fairgrounds. Another Ohio Train Derailment Claims 20 Norfolk Southern Cargo Cars

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-05-2023, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,365 Times in 2,083 Posts

Some lawyers are probably licking their chops.

My great grandfather was involved with transportation of war supplies during WWII as some kind of military officer. He was also a railroad attorney. I just remember he was quite old during WWII. Old for serving in the military-- probably in his fifties in the early 1940s.
Old 03-06-2023, 07:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,941 Times in 930 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
This one occurred near the Clark County Fairgrounds. Another Ohio Train Derailment Claims 20 Norfolk Southern Cargo Cars
Hmmm. . . . starting to look like 30% reduction in employees (corporatism) is showing up in deferred/eliminated track maintenance. . maintenance done on a routine basis has a financial cost without a visible ROI, because nothing bad happens. . very difficult to analyze what level of maintenance is optimal. . i didn't type impossible to analyze/optimize. . just difficult so that its easy for someone to present lots of savings with elimination of maintenance because there is no proof of return. . . idiots

From my experience, smells of a consulting job who was paid to find huge savings or to optimize operations including savings to find profit increases. .

Any company which hires consultants to perform these jobs are executives with no idea how to manage a company nor division. . they are financialized executives who proposed crappy analysis and solutions which management will just eat up because that's how you get to be a senior executive. . . I have worked for executives who never hired consultants except for very unique situations, and never for internal operational answers, and I have worked for idiots who don't know how to manage anything other than an existing process and hire consultants to tell them what to do. . appears like the second case to me. .

and the train derailment stats of incident reduction is so small and somewhat random that its almost insignificant. . . what's missing from that analysis is increasing cost per derailment so that the small reductions over time doesn't result in any savings or doesn't shows increasing total costs . . .

finance guy
Old 03-06-2023, 01:01 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,663 Times in 1,778 Posts

It looks like very poor management for sure!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 03-06-2023, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,337 Times in 5,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
It looks like very poor management for sure!
Probably but lets wait for facts to surface first.

This is why management should be criminally responsible for damage to innocent bystanders if they knowingly allowed poor maintenance under their watch.
Closed Thread

Tags
norfolk, southern, derailment, ohio, occurred

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.