For members who haven't posted.

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Default For members who haven't posted.

For members who haven's posted yet,,,please, tell us why?
Old 01-20-2008, 07:50 PM
Default Re: For members who haven't posted.

I have been on this site for about 6 months as a guest - never have registered. I just registered because I felt that I needed to answer this question. This will probably be my one and only post since I will probably not be a welcome participant after you read this.

The reasons I have not bothered to register and/or post are numerous...

I find that there are maybe a dozen people who think that this forum is for their own private use. I will call them "the circle of few". When people ask a legitimate question and it gets bogged down by banter back and forth from "the circle of few", it becomes wasted time. (it's like high school with the private jokes)

Village discussions about trips to South America have nothing to do with everyday village life and should be under the correct heading (non village discussions). I am sure that out of the over 3000 or more users on this site, there are many who have been or are currently on trips and if everyone chose to keep us informed, it may as well be an official travel site. These should be non village or chat room discussions. How many of you knew about this South America trip anyway...I would bet not many unless you are in the circle of few.

Also, don't take this the wrong way, but I am sure that out of the more than 3000 registered users and guests on this site that a few have had deaths in their families. This forum should not be used as a condolence site. Can't speak for anyone else, but you almost felt obligated to post a condolence. (again, if the death in the family had not been from one of the circle of few, it would have never have been on the site).

Blogs and chat rooms are for private discussions. TOTV should be for legitimate discussions that pertain to the majority, not banter that only a few will understand.

There is and has been so much good advise on this site that has helped me, but again I would never post because in a strange way, it feels like high school all over again...the shy ones sit back and take it in while the popular ones dominate to the point where you feel foolish to participate.

I could go on, but I think I have made my point.

Adios Amigos...
Old 01-20-2008, 08:41 PM

Mak, I must say, I agree with you one hundred percent. Just the Villages facts, ma'am, just the facts.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:50 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to kregski

So true
Old 01-20-2008, 09:25 PM
JohnnyM

Hey Mak, I'm kind of the new guy on the block. Before we visited TV I registered to try and get some information regarding our upcoming trip. I was afraid to intrude on this "circle of a few" but got up my nerve and asked a question. Within minutes I had many responses with great information and well wishes from all. I guess the so called in crowd stopped their intimate conversations to help little ole me. Well I appreciated it so much that when we returned from TV I sent everyone who wrote us a special message about our trip and to thank them again for their information. Some of these TOTVer's have been on along time and made very strong friendships without ever meeting face to face and that is commendable. I now try to find threads where I can maybe help someone with questions about their upcoming trip. If a thread goes off subject I usually go with it and have some fun, too. That's another thing, you can start your own thread and maybe find folks with your personality and likes. TOTV'ers make the slogan "America's Most Friendliest Home Town" a reality. If you really want or need specific information about anything you know the Administrators or veteran members would jump at the chance to answer your queries. You don't have to partake in the daily forums if you choose not to, but for some of us it is a way to keep a friendship stronger for the day we can all hopefully meet face to face and really appreciate each other. I am not offended by your stance but I wish you would reconsider and try to utilize this fantastic website for what it is, knowledge, fun, emotions and most of all "friendship"...........JohnnyM
Old 01-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Founder

For more years that I care to remember, I was the host of radio and television talk shows. This forum and its issues are so close to those of a talk show that it is frightening. We always had "regular" callers (every day). We felt that if they were "on" too much, it would discourage others from calling and participating. So, we would make a rule, "Call only once a week." Then, the next day would come and there would be no calls. Without calls....no program. Then we would silently pray for the regulars to call.

It is a very sound discussion. There are those who enjoy and use this forum everyday, several times a day. There are those who will visit and read the posts, and never, not once, ever post anything. Some will feel like outsiders. The regulars, meanwhile, are always eager to have more people posting along with them.

The only thing we can do as administrators is encourage new members to begin posting to broaden the circle of regulars or semi regulars.

Everybody is welcome here. In our radio talk show endeavors, the experts tell us that only about 10% of the people will ever call and participate. 90% will only listen. I suspect those same numbers hold true on this forum and others like it.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:27 PM
Dancing Thyme

Very well put you guys.

Welcome to TOTV officially, Johnny and Barbara M. We love guys like you.

I know that when I first registered July 2007, I was a little inhibited to break into the circle, But look at me now, most hours on line...... Totally addicted...... Becoming more shy by the minute ... and have never felt so comfortable or welcomed by a bunch of folks like I have with the TOTV people. I'm sorry for you mak that you feel left out, but its not by what we have done or not have done.

If its adios, then so be it, but if you choose to be an amigos again, then welcome back.!!!

Kathie :redface: :redface:

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 01-20-2008, 10:39 PM
Veteran member

I would like to think that people who want to talk about stuff other than the Villages would go to the appropriate forum for "non-Villages" discussion.

I find myself only reading the stuff that pertains to the Villages and ignoring the rest.

I love helping others find out how life is here and how they can find information. Joe an I love the Villages so much and we want others to feel the same way about it. We love sharing our thoughts on Village life and lessons learned.

Perhaps you should do as I do and ignore anything that isn't specific to the Villages.

Hope you stay on board. I love this site and am still learning things about life here and Florida in general. We lived in Virginia for over 30 years and I was born and raised in the Bronx, NY so I like to find out stuff about Florida!

Best of luck!!!!! Oh, by the way, sometimes several days go by and I don't post. That is because nothing has caught my attention or there is nothing I can add to a discussion.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:26 PM

Fran
I'm not yet a resident of TV but will be in the near future. It appears to me there are two types of TOTV "food". One for the tummy and one for the soul. The TV related information is great to get to know the "mechanics" of TV. However the non-TV discussion is the soul of TV. It is the non-TV discussion that makes me really feel like I'm getting to know the people of TV and reinforces my passion to be a resident. We need both! Thanks for your support on the the TV related discusion because that is what we need to be more informed and make things work for us. Also big thanks to the non-TOTV contributors who have a sense of friendship and humor. Love them both.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:45 PM
Sage

Barbi, wonderful post and so so true!

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:29 AM
Sage

OK, this might be a dopey post and not necessarily on target, but I'd like to take this opportunity to say how happy and grateful I am to be meeting all the wonderful people on TOTV. I feel especially close to the chat room people already. It is filled with humor and joy and it makes me feel like I was back in my ad days sitting around with a pitcher of Margaritas and brainstorming for some big client. I worked with some of the best and brightest people around. And, not to sound to mushy, I love being in the chat room because of the bright, humorous, and kind people with all of the banter. You have to be quick and on your toes to keep up sometime, but that's what I love. :bigthumbsup: And even if you do not frequent the chat room, the posts are interesting, insightful and fun. I can't tell how grateful I am to be part of all of you -- and just being here three months, I was welcomed with open arms. I love you guys and TOTV. :2cool: :2cool: :2cool: wav
Old 01-21-2008, 12:38 AM
Dancing Thyme

CHELSEA, WHO???? :dontknow: :dontknow:

Do we know you??? ??? ???

couldn't resist. Kath

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 01-21-2008, 12:44 AM
Sage

Very funny Ms. L.A. Lady! Love you Kath :#1:
Old 01-21-2008, 01:15 AM
Veteran member

Mak?? :edit: all the good stuff from us and say adios without a thank you and B.... all the way out the door
Do me a favor, don't move next door to me. I always go back to the little ole lady who complained about the smut on television then cryed bloody loud when her television broke, Go figure
Handie :joke: ( one of the kids called a regular) 1rnfl
Old 01-21-2008, 01:36 AM
JohnnyM

Hey Handieman, are you changing your pix more than usual? I know I'm off topic but I already gave my two cents. Thanks for the chat early this morning, I needed the practice!

Johnny
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.