Closed Thread
Old 09-11-2023, 12:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,215 Times in 799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
Are you being facetious?

No.

If we're not allowed to simply shoot them, they have to live somewhere.

I'd rather they were in TV, than in a neighborhood of children.

I think TV has one of the highest percentage of gun owners in the USA. We can take care of ourselves, kids can't.
Old 09-11-2023, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Those are not the only options. And you can rent out your property for say, a month or more with much less people complaining about it. Owners do usually run background checks, your home, your furniture, your kitchen things, don’t you want to know WHO is using them or abusing them, before you come back for the next 6 months?
1. I was responding to a post that said a convicted child abuser had gotten into the villages via short term rental (as if it was only a a result of STR that they "got in"). (One of) the point I was making was that, an owner could be a convicted child abuser, so blaming STRs for that was crazy, unless someone was telling me that the villages does back ground searches on all sales of all properties in the villages to preclue that. And that I would rather have a convicted child molester around for short term than permanent.

2. Are you saying that by definition, someone who rents for 30 days is of better character than those who rent for 29 days or less? Or is the dividing point between people who are acceptable in the villages 7 days vs 8 days? Or some other arbitrary number?

3. Are the numer of complaints the correct metric? or is it the number of problems/issues caused?
Old 09-11-2023, 01:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,521 Times in 2,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normal View Post
Nope, just against the accommodation of the needs of a renter/child abuser sex offender. I’m against it and of course along with other transient clientele.

AirBnBs bring crime. Just this morning we had a shooting at an AirBnB outside Orlando in Davenport resulting in one dead and one wounded at a birthday party celebration.

Man shot to death, woman injured during birthday party at Florida Airbnb, deputies say
I can’t figure out what your point is…

Having an Airbnb in the neighborhood is dangerous because someone might be shot in front of it?

Visiting an airbnb is dangerous because someone might come by and shoot you?

Criminals are more likely to shoot you in front of an airbnb?

Birthday parties are dangerous because people get shot when talking to criminals in cars that drive by?

Or is your point simply that the word airbnb appeared in an article about a crime?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 09-11-2023, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,068 Times in 1,771 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybersprings View Post
1. I was responding to a post that said a convicted child abuser had gotten into the villages via short term rental (as if it was only a a result of STR that they "got in"). (One of) the point I was making was that, an owner could be a convicted child abuser, so blaming STRs for that was crazy, unless someone was telling me that the villages does back ground searches on all sales of all properties in the villages to preclue that. And that I would rather have a convicted child molester around for short term than permanent.

2. Are you saying that by definition, someone who rents for 30 days is of better character than those who rent for 29 days or less? Or is the dividing point between people who are acceptable in the villages 7 days vs 8 days? Or some other arbitrary number?

3. Are the numer of complaints the correct metric? or is it the number of problems/issues caused?
Number 1. It is not “The Villages” it is the homeowner who does the background checks, unless they are a slum lord in the first place.

Number 2. Yes. By observation.

Number 3. I don’t know if the number of complaints are imperial or metric but they are NUMEROUS.
Old 09-11-2023, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Number 1. It is not “The Villages” it is the homeowner who does the background checks, unless they are a slum lord in the first place.

Number 2. Yes. By observation.

Number 3. I don’t know if the number of complaints are imperial or metric but they are NUMEROUS.
This is going from bad to worse.

1. Do you know of a single person who did a background check on the person(s) to whom they were SELLING their homes? Do you consider someone who SELLS their home to someone without a background check a slumlord? Maybe that is why we are having issues because we don't agree on definitions. From oxford dictionary:
slumlord: a landlord of slum property, especially one who profiteers.
a. someone who SELLS is not a landlord
b. the villages has very few "slum" properties.
2. Wow. Your observation. Is that a universal standard or does it only apply to the villages? I am curious as to the size of your sample.
3. My question was, is the number of complaints the proper method of measure or is it the actual problems? If one person complains 100 times, but they are the only one who sees any problem, is that worse than a situation where all 30 people that live nearby complain because the person is disturbing all of them, driving on their grass, blocking their driveways, etc.
Old 09-11-2023, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,088 Times in 4,211 Posts

Quote:

You're right---whether a full time owner or a 3 day renter, you can get stuck with a problem child.

However, I think I'll commit a politically incorrect faux pas (like I've never done it before) and "profile" some of the neighbors one might encounter if the property next to you gets sold:

a) Year round owner.

Probably your best lottery draw, although there are exceptions. The down side: If they suck, you're stuck with them long term, or you move. But 99% of the time you should be fine

b) Snowbird/Snowflake, especially occupying 6+ months and vacant the rest of the year.

Should do fine, they have the pride of ownership and are part of "the hood" when they are here. Usually enlist neighbors help to watch out for their property.

c) Same as b), as well as those who bought for a retirement in the relatively near term, but rent the house out for no less than 1 month leases while they are away.

Again, not usually a problem. They usually have a management company vet prospective tenants and keep the place clean, and again feel invested in the neighborhood.

d) Property bought solely on speculation to rent out, but haven't excluded moving into at some future date. Also renting out for a minimum of 1 month

Getting a bit less desirable, but usually responsive to legitimate complaints

e) Property solely bought as an investment to run THE BUSINESS of STR/Airbnb. Motivated solely by income, will rent to anyone, couldn't care less about the neighborhood or the community. And what type of renter does such a place attract? Certainly not a nice 65 year old couple looking seriously at moving here. No, it attracts 20 somethings, young families with kids, especially teenagers, partiers who view TV as centrally located, bargain hunters, maybe someone with an RV looking to stay in one place for a little bit. Late night drunken parties?? why not? Kids run amok??? sure. Disrespect neighbor's property. Of course.

So, yes, there is no arbitrary time frame for getting a good or bad neighbor, but which scenario do you think is most likely to yield the proverbial rotten apple? And of course, if STRs were such a good thing, why are all these people on TOTV complaining. Why has Clearwater effectively banned them. Why has Orlando and now NYC taken steps to severely curtail their proliferation?

There are appropriate places for STR---they're called motels
If the identity of TV is a 55+ active lifestyle retirement community, then we should take steps to preserve our identity before we become a motel shantytown, with all the crime and other problems that come with that.
Old 09-11-2023, 02:24 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,153 Times in 577 Posts
Default All,Great Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
You're right---whether a full time owner or a 3 day renter, you can get stuck with a problem child.

However, I think I'll commit a politically incorrect faux pas (like I've never done it before) and "profile" some of the neighbors one might encounter if the property next to you gets sold:

a) Year round owner.

Probably your best lottery draw, although there are exceptions. The down side: If they suck, you're stuck with them long term, or you move. But 99% of the time you should be fine

b) Snowbird/Snowflake, especially occupying 6+ months and vacant the rest of the year.

Should do fine, they have the pride of ownership and are part of "the hood" when they are here. Usually enlist neighbors help to watch out for their property.

c) Same as b), as well as those who bought for a retirement in the relatively near term, but rent the house out for no less than 1 month leases while they are away.

Again, not usually a problem. They usually have a management company vet prospective tenants and keep the place clean, and again feel invested in the neighborhood.

d) Property bought solely on speculation to rent out, but haven't excluded moving into at some future date. Also renting out for a minimum of 1 month

e) Property solely bought as an investment to run THE BUSINESS of STR/Airbnb. Motivated solely by income, will rent to anyone, couldn't care less about the neighborhood or the community. And what type of renter does such a place attract? Certainly not a nice 65 year old couple looking seriously at moving here. No, it attracts 20 somethings, young families with kids, especially teenagers, partiers who view TV as centrally located, bargain hunters, maybe someone with an RV looking to stay in one place for a little bit. Late night drunken parties?? why not? Kids run amok??? sure. Disrespect neighbor's property. Of course.

So, yes, there is no arbitrary time frame for getting a good or bad neighbor, but which scenario do you think is most likely to yield the proverbial rotten apple? And of course, if STRs were such a good thing, why are all these people on TOTV complaining. Why has Clearwater effectively banned them. Why has Orlando and now NYC taken steps to severely curtail their proliferation?

If the identity of TV is a 55+ active lifestyle retirement community, then we should take steps to preserve our identity before we become a motel shantytown, with all the crime and other problems that come with that.
Great Points. Spot on!

“Everyone may not be good, but there's always something good in everyone. Never judge anyone shortly because every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” - Oscar Wilde
Old 09-11-2023, 03:03 PM

Quote:

a) Year round owner.

You KNOW I'd love to argue with you, but since you didn't state it as fact, I would probably agree with your assessment. I have been unlucky enough to get a full time problem neighbor (not huge problem), but then again, ask them about me
Old 09-11-2023, 03:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
You KNOW I'd love to argue with you, but since you didn't state it as fact, I would probably agree with your assessment. I have been unlucky enough to get a full time problem neighbor (not huge problem), but then again, ask them about me
I think I already got the idea 😂😂😂
Old 09-11-2023, 04:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

Why has Orlando and now NYC taken steps to severely curtail their proliferation?

Orlando has done the opposite.

They used to be prohibited in Residential Districts, now Orlando allows them.

I know it's sometime inconvenient to ascertain the facts, but facts matter.

Whether NYC has "taken steps to severely curtail their proliferation", is debatable. NYC now requires"Registration" if you operate an STR and requires you to pay the proper taxes. They didn't do anything that changes what properties can be used as an STR.

Facts matter.
Old 09-11-2023, 05:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
Orlando has done the opposite.

They used to be prohibited in Residential Districts, now Orlando allows them.

I know it's sometime inconvenient to ascertain the facts, but facts matter.

Whether NYC has "taken steps to severely curtail their proliferation", is debatable. NYC now requires"Registration" if you operate an STR and requires you to pay the proper taxes. They didn't do anything that changes what properties can be used as an STR.

Facts matter.
And Clearwater? So you’re arguing STRs are good?
Old 09-11-2023, 05:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
And Clearwater? So you’re arguing STRs are good?
Not at all. Merely pointing out that the information you posted about Orlando & NYC isn't factual.

As for Clearwater, if you take the time to read my Post #102, it explains exactly how Clearwater was able to be Grandfathered and have the power to regulate STR's.

People on this thread don't seem to want to deal with the facts.

The land in The Villages is subject to the underlying zoning of the town/county it's located in. The CDD's don't have zoning power, nor can the CDD's ban STR's, pursuant to Florida Law.

The only possible way to significantly change the STR situation in TV that I can think of, is to get a Judge to rule that either the underlying zoning prohibits them and did prior to 2011, or the "business use" language in the Deed Restrictions prohibits them.
Old 09-11-2023, 08:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaE View Post
That’s old. Under DeSantis, cities and counties can pass their own regulations. Look to the City if St Augustine as an example. Short Term Rentals | St. Augustine, FL
I wish some would stop posting their outdated information. 0n this thread, they were corrected. (See above) Corrected again, and now again. What is the purpose of posting old information over, and over, and, over? Turn the page! CURRENT information would be appreciated. This is 2023 not 2003!

For Example: In April 2023, Florida Senate Passed Short Term Rental Bill

Last edited by margaretmattson; 09-12-2023 at 05:23 AM.
Old 09-11-2023, 09:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
No.

If we're not allowed to simply shoot them, they have to live somewhere.

I'd rather they were in TV, than in a neighborhood of children.

I think TV has one of the highest percentage of gun owners in the USA. We can take care of ourselves, kids can't.
You think TV is one of the highest percentage of gun owners in the USA? You need to get out of your cocoon. If you own a gun, take it to Texas or any rural area in the USA and see how you will fare.

Last edited by margaretmattson; 09-11-2023 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-11-2023, 11:20 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

a) Year round owner.

Great post. You forgot to mention one group of people. YouTubers who come to the Villages, stay at an STR, and film what a great time they are having. On their videos they are seen playing tennis, swimming, pickleball, shooting pool, etc. The biggest perk, our dear fans, they ask. You get to drive around in a provided golf cart! The cost of all this? You are not going to believe this, dear fans, it's all free! That's right! Rent a home and all of this is free!

My stomach churns when I watch these videos. Free advertisement for the STR owners that goes out to the masses.

On another note: While looking at preowned homes for sale, one listing caught my attention. It is described as a ready-to-go STR/AIRbnb. 4338 Zeppelin Road. (Listings on MLS are not private. I am doing no harm by posting the address) Is this a new way to sell homes??

Last edited by margaretmattson; 09-12-2023 at 04:58 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
handle, great, regulations, days, problem

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.