Out-of-State Help with lan

Closed Thread
Old 10-12-2022, 06:14 AM

Just returned to TV from driving from Minnesota. Once in Florida on I10 and I75 I saw hundreds of lineman trucks headed north. What an impressive display of logistics. Thanks to all who came to our aid, staged before the storm and made quick work of getting us back with power.
Old 10-12-2022, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Here's a story I think everyone in Florida should know about the clean-up help with Hurricane lan.

My nephew in Wisconsin is a line man for Wisconsin Electric Co.
He and 13 Fello workers along with their electric trucks with cherry pickers volunteered to drive to Florida from Wisconsin to help with the cleanup.

I just got off the phone with my nephew.

After arriving in Vero Beach after the 4th day, they were told to take their trucks and go back to Wisconsin.

Apparently, Florida electrical unions are supported by retail business, and will not allow other union workers to intervene.

Now if you hear anyone complain down south about not getting their power back in time, here's part of the reason.

I'll bet this story isn't going make it in the Florida newspapers.
It was in the national news feeds. An apology was issued and the FL county is reimbursing Wisconsin $200,000 for expenses.
Old 10-12-2022, 07:20 AM

My experience is that unions appreciate help from fellow union members, even if the workers belong to a different union than theirs. They only object to non-union members doing union work.
Old 10-12-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
Back in Massachusetts we were without power for 13 days after a severe early season Ice storm. Out of area crews came but were restricted in their activities. Apparently overtime pay for the local union was more "important" than restoring power.
Maybe not overtime for the local cruise, as much as the out-of-state cruise are paid from the minute they step into their vehicle and leave their home state 24 hours a day until they return to their home state. It is more economical to put the local cruise on overtime
Old 10-12-2022, 09:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Here's a story I think everyone in Florida should know about the clean-up help with Hurricane lan.

I'll bet this story isn't going make it in the Florida newspapers.
My uncle has a home in Ft. Myers. He says there are hundreds of immigrant worker teams cleaning up after the hurricane. My uncle asked some where they came from? Venezuela was the response. They showed him maps with Lee County and the state of Florida emblems on them. The maps are used to send the crews to specific neighborhoods as part of a coordinated cleanup effort.
Old 10-12-2022, 10:55 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 595 Posts

An article from 2018 explaining who pays for the costs. It says that the power companies have disaster funds that pay for visiting repair crews and equipment.

Who pays for out-of-state power crews, equipment, supplies? | AP News
Old 10-12-2022, 05:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,911 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caymus View Post
Back in Massachusetts we were without power for 13 days after a severe early season Ice storm. Out of area crews came but were restricted in their activities. Apparently overtime pay for the local union was more "important" than restoring power.
Since I work at one of the power utilities, and have been on storm duty, and seen first hand how they work, I would say that they are restricted due to what the company can do and what the contractors can do. My street was without power for an extra day because the contractors couldn't perform the fix, due to my company's internal paperwork issue. So the company had to do it. However, many contractors work with the company with the contractors' management in the storm room with us to manage who does the work. These contractors have agreements and requested ahead of time for coordination. . . just like Mexico beach, the linemen aren't going everywhere because they can't get everywhere due to roads being blocked and no poles left to hand wires on. .

All depends upon where you are in MA, who your distribution company is, and how much they can afford. All storm related work, in the millions, are paid for out of pocket, and then a reimbursement is requested from future rate payments from the customers. If you don't have the cash to pay the contractors, they aren't going to get much work. Plus, there are state reciprocity agreements, etc. so just showing up isn't a guarantee of employment, and life for most not in the path is most likely back to normal electrical operations at the moment.

Last edited by CoachKandSportsguy; 10-13-2022 at 04:30 AM.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:06 AM
Sage

To the person who questioned, "why Vero Beach"?? The hurricane crossed over the peninsula to the Atlantic side. We just didn't hear as much about the damage over there but areas did get hit. I think Orlando and suburbs depending on the areas then all along the eastern coast. as it headed north. Daytona and Daytona Beach were affected. We just heard more about the gulf side as it seemed more devastated there (still is, I think).
Old 10-13-2022, 08:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveling lady View Post
Maybe not overtime for the local cruise, as much as the out-of-state cruise are paid from the minute they step into their vehicle and leave their home state 24 hours a day until they return to their home state. It is more economical to put the local cruise on overtime
Why are you talking about cruises, I thought we were talking about utility crews. 😉😜
Old 10-13-2022, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,083 Times in 2,746 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
An article from 2018 explaining who pays for the costs. It says that the power companies have disaster funds that pay for visiting repair crews and equipment.
And the disaster funds are funded by ratepayers.
Old 10-13-2022, 01:21 PM

Nevertheless, Wisconsin, thank you for your kindness and concern for Florida and your willingness to help out.
Old 10-14-2022, 05:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,911 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
And the disaster funds are funded by ratepayers.
Some states allow rate payments ahead of time called storm funds, other states required post storm re-imbursement. MA is a post storm reimbursement state, NY is a prepayment state.

Both are funded by rate payers, but there is a huge cash flow imbalance between NY and MA. . .

And who pays when storm is predicted to be large, and nothing happens, and the utility has prepositioned contractors in place at a cost in the millions? I have been in the storm room for that as well. The utility does. . in the future rate request increases in base rates.

Articles seldom discuss the differences between states' regulator, who controls the utilities rate's to local customers. And I read on a twitter finance post by someone involved in the debt restructuring that one of our subsidiaries went bankrupt in late 1999. Asked one of the lifers here, fact check true, and the regulatory required the utility with the lowest cost of generation due to hydro, to also purchase solar generation at multiples higher, but not pass on costs to the customers. .

There are finance stories everywhere. .
Old 10-16-2022, 11:27 PM

You can’t “just be kind” anymore???!! We all suffer because of the mighty dollar!!
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, wisconsin, back, trucks, workers

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.