Please investigate the truth

Closed Thread
Old 03-23-2019, 06:57 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am glad they are gone too Tal. Do you remember when that guy went over to that other site and was posting using my name?
He was complaint about you and your behavior on TOTV, and you solicited about ten if us to go to that site and scare him. I will list the names and your PM request when I find it.
Old 03-23-2019, 06:59 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Well good. No one is going to harm themselves.

And truth still is truth.

This surely has been a fascinating thread.
It for me nor my wife. Cruel insinuations and comments on my age, etc. nasty stuff when you make such snide comments about others

By the way was just discussing this behavior......you told me that guy you solicited me and some others to attack, was a drunk and made posts while drinking.

Was that true or like insinuating things about my age, etc ?
Old 03-23-2019, 06:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,374 Times in 2,089 Posts

You will be missed Bucco.

I try to avoid cable news as well and just stick to the evening news.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:02 PM
TOTV Moderator

Many posts have been removed as they were off topic, directed at a member, or questioned moderator actions. While we would prefer the discussion to continue, if these post types persist, the thread will be closed.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:29 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

It was definitely getting too personal...
Let me take a shot at how I see "opinions" right now...
There are dog people and there are cat people. (We're ignoring those that are both right now).
Both feel very strongly about their preference. Let's say the head of the dog "party" is Tiger Woods, and let's say the head of the cat "party" is Lance Armstrong (you can interchange them...). If you're a cat person you can talk about what a cheater and hot head Tiger is. As a dog person, I might actually agree. I might not even respect Tiger Woods. But whether I think Tiger Woods is the best golfer ever or if I think he's a cheating skum, he is only the current figurehead for dog lovers. And ultimately, my "North star" is that I'm a dog lover.
Many people attack Tiger Woods or Lance Armstrong. Or they say why being a dog (or cat) person is unamerican. People need to understand why people are dog people or cat people. People need to stop attacking the other side. Agree to disagree. Both sides have good reasons for their preference/opinions. Stop putting the other side down...
Old 03-24-2019, 04:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,176 Times in 442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
It was definitely getting too personal...
Let me take a shot at how I see "opinions" right now...
There are dog people and there are cat people. (We're ignoring those that are both right now).
Both feel very strongly about their preference. Let's say the head of the dog "party" is Tiger Woods, and let's say the head of the cat "party" is Lance Armstrong (you can interchange them...). If you're a cat person you can talk about what a cheater and hot head Tiger is. As a dog person, I might actually agree. I might not even respect Tiger Woods. But whether I think Tiger Woods is the best golfer ever or if I think he's a cheating skum, he is only the current figurehead for dog lovers. And ultimately, my "North star" is that I'm a dog lover.
Many people attack Tiger Woods or Lance Armstrong. Or they say why being a dog (or cat) person is unamerican. People need to understand why people are dog people or cat people. People need to stop attacking the other side. Agree to disagree. Both sides have good reasons for their preference/opinions. Stop putting the other side down...
Bravo, and then fact check to make yourself a more educated supporter of cats or dogs, phewww!
Old 03-24-2019, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,561 Times in 1,932 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

In summary, this thread has been about the truth, and about compassion too.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
FACT CHECK, FACT CHECK, NO MATTER what your persuasion . Sure hope this does NOT go political because this is so important, this would apply to life. So many times I hear Villagers say "How can I believe what I read and hear?", and in this time, more than any other, it's time for ALL of us to do our homework and investigate where the truth lies. We are so fortunate to have technology at our finger tips, please put the truth as your priority.
Just wanted to go back to this. Call your hometown reference librarians as they are usually familiar with the most reliable sources on many topics. Sports, business, trivia, etc. They are not allowed to give medical nor legal advice though.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,740 Times in 3,199 Posts

There are also "tells" when you're cruising the internet, or when someone posts a video or picture or statement on their facebook page. If you hover over the hyperlink, you'll see the address of that hyperlink. If the address includes mercola or whaleto, you can be pretty confident that it's a conspiracy theory that has already been debunked by actual science. If, once you do click on a link, you discover that it's a commercial website created primarily to sell a product, you can assume their spin will be very heavily in favor of whatever product they're selling. They will cherry-pick actual facts, and draw conclusions based on correlations. Science says: correlation does not equal causation. Always keep that in mind.

I could come up with a few dozen examples of the above but they'd all turn this back into a political discussion. So you can try it out yourself. Come up with a current issue about anything. Now check mercola and whaleto to see what they have to say about it. Then, go to an actual scientific website (not WebMD, that is an aggregate that anyone can upload "articles" to). See the difference for yourself.

A hypothetical example: a friend sends you an article about how blue dye in cotton textile manufacturing causes cancer, and everyone is being told to avoid anything made by Acme Clothing, because they use blue dye.

If you trace that "information" far enough, you're very likely to discover that its original source is Smith Clothing company, which is Acme's #1 competitor. And when you check out "blue dye cancer" google searches, you'll discover that the top 20 results will all favor Smith Clothing, or be against Acme. If you add the word "hoax" to your search, you'll find that Snopes has debunked it.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:15 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,229 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
In summary, this thread has been about the truth, and about compassion too.
And, thus, history is rewritten. How appropriately Orwellian.

But I know what I saw — even though those posts are gone now.

It sure was not compassion.

I had tried to talk myself out of posting this. But I decided that I would feel bad if I did not speak up for —truth.

(PS: OK, Moderator, get ready for this post to be reported. I’m done.)
Old 03-24-2019, 09:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

I had tried to talk myself out of posting this. But I decided that I would feel bad if I did not speak up for —truth.

Now THAT'S...the truth!
Old 03-24-2019, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

Thank you Boomer, for having the guts to write what I could not . There are none so blind as cannot see what they do.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 03-24-2019, 10:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
Thank you Boomer, for having the guts to write what I could not . There are none so blind as cannot see what they do.
And thank you!
Old 03-24-2019, 11:56 AM
Platinum member

You can believe the truth that is reported from reliable news sources, but not from those who are affiliated with a particular political party or persuasion. You know who they are. Those news sources that have reported the truth to us since we were children can still be trusted to do so today. Unfortunately, in today's world so many of us only want to hear things that coincide with what we want to believe rather than the facts.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedwards38 View Post
You can believe the truth that is reported from reliable news sources, but not from those who are affiliated with a particular political party or persuasion. You know who they are. Those news sources that have reported the truth to us since we were children can still be trusted to do so today. Unfortunately, in today's world so many of us only want to hear things that coincide with what we want to believe rather than the facts.
Facts are often a very painful thing to hear especially when I see the scales over 210 lbs. I liked the One Blood scales before the took the lbs off even if the scale was faulty. The scale would say 205 when it really should have been 209.

They do have a more accurate scale now.

I used to abstract business articles in regional business magazines for Area Business Data Bank put out by Information Access Company then of Belmont, CA. Anyway my editor Robert Lee wanted me to just stick to the facts as much as possible which usually involved numbers like $ earned, $ lost, profit, market share, # of employees, etc. I would try to amuse myself and my editors by sticking puns in the abstracts. History of Information Access Company – FundingUniverse
Closed Thread

Tags
truth, fact, investigate, check, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.