The Queen’s “Sendoff”

Closed Thread
Old 09-21-2022, 07:54 AM

He was absolutely amazing.
Old 09-21-2022, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,884 Posts

Hip Hip Hooray. It cost whatever it cost. Seems to be none of my business at all.

The Love that the people have for the Queen was amazing to see. Makes me wonder what official in the United States would get the same level of respect and Love?

I always admired The Queen and her entire family. One of the saddest pictures I’ve seen in a long time was when she was dressed in Black at her husband’s funeral with her head down.

King Charles will be straightening out some issues in the near future, family wise that is.

I think the thing that got to me the most was the Love and Respect that the Queen received from the people she served for 70 years. That says it all.
Old 09-21-2022, 08:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,734 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
She seemed like a genuinely humanitarian woman with real empathy for people. And did not seem to take herself too seriously. 5 Queen Elizabeth quotes: '''Let us not take ourselves too seriously.'''
From what I've seen and read, the comment about not taking herself too seriously seems to be quite true.

I heard a story awhile back...The Queen and her secretary ("Dickie"?) were out walking near Balmoral when they encountered a pair of hikers; young men from America who stopped and chatted with them but who didn't recognize them. One of the guys, knowing that the Queen was sometimes at Balmoral, asked if either of them had ever seen the Queen. She answered that "Dickie" had seen the Queen many times. The young men were so impressed by that, so much so that they wanted a picture of both of them with "Dickie". One of them was carrying a camera and the Queen herself volunteered to take the picture.

Don't know if it is true or not, but it could be.
Old 09-21-2022, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldseries27 View Post
the english also overlooked the accomplishments of 2 other great men who actually did the work of winning the war.
Leo szilard proved to einstein that the germans were on the path to obtaining nuclear weapons. Stunned, einstein quickly met with fdr to give him the devastating news. Soon after that meeting the manhattan project came into existence.
Alan turring is credited with saving over 21 million victims of ww2 by cracking germanys ultra powerful coding machine called enigma.
His reward incarceration chemical castration, villification so he committed suicide at the age of 41 because his country no longer needed him. This is a dark stain on british history's pages. In response to an overwhelming internet drive of ten's of thousands of petitions exposing the betrayal the queen was forced to pardon him, the father of the computer age and a.i. In 2013 an outrageous treatment of a true war hero had to wait 57 years to be acclaimed the hero he always was
Alan Turing was not alone in cracking the enigma. The Poles and Czechs actually had done much work on solving the code but turned it over to the Brits when they were invaded by the Nazis. There were thousands of people who worked on solving the code. Turing was head of Bletchley Park where approx. 10,000 people worked and 8,000 of those were women. It was certainly tragic what happened to him. I'm glad he got the recognition that he deserved but I doubt the Queen was forced to do anything. Most countries have "stains" of some kind. Why try and take away the beauty and pageantry of the Queen's funeral and all of her positive accomplishments by bringing this up? She was an amazing woman.
Old 09-21-2022, 08:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Not your problem really.
The majority of us Brits consider it money well spent.
One thing for sure, it did not cost as much as The US taxpayer has to find each year to pay for your Presidents well being!
No one will actually ever know the exact cost of funeral, but estimates from past occasions put it as up to £10 million.
Given the amount the Crown Estates put into the Exchequer each year, petty cash!
Well said.
Will miss her. Great send off
Old 09-21-2022, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,773 Times in 1,547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
From what I've seen and read, the comment about not taking herself too seriously seems to be quite true.

I heard a story awhile back...The Queen and her secretary ("Dickie"?) were out walking near Balmoral when they encountered a pair of hikers; young men from America who stopped and chatted with them but who didn't recognize them. One of the guys, knowing that the Queen was sometimes at Balmoral, asked if either of them had ever seen the Queen. She answered that "Dickie" had seen the Queen many times. The young men were so impressed by that, so much so that they wanted a picture of both of them with "Dickie". One of them was carrying a camera and the Queen herself volunteered to take the picture.

I hope this is true, but true or not it is a great story. Not wanting to embarrass others by making them look or feel stupid or foolish is just how I imagine her to have been.
Old 09-21-2022, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,355 Times in 4,348 Posts

Quote:

"Dickie" has told that story on multiple occasions...

https://youtu.be/zUW8tbibObY

-Tom Petty
Old 09-21-2022, 09:41 AM
Default True story

Quote:

This is true story here is a link to video of Dickie relating the story. Best part is Queen stating she'd like to be a fly on the wall when the hikers show the pictures at home when hopefully someone will recognize her and tell them who she is.

Old 09-21-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
Hip Hip Hooray. It cost whatever it cost. Seems to be none of my business at all.

The Love that the people have for the Queen was amazing to see. Makes me wonder what official in the United States would get the same level of respect and Love?

I always admired The Queen and her entire family. One of the saddest pictures I’ve seen in a long time was when she was dressed in Black at her husband’s funeral with her head down.

King Charles will be straightening out some issues in the near future, family wise that is.

I think the thing that got to me the most was the Love and Respect that the Queen received from the people she served for 70 years. That says it all.
It was amazing and heartwarming to see the love and respect from the people.
Old 09-21-2022, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGR720 View Post
This is true story here is a link to video of Dickie relating the story. Best part is Queen stating she'd like to be a fly on the wall when the hikers show the pictures at home when hopefully someone will recognize her and tell them who she is.

Love this story!!
Old 09-21-2022, 11:32 AM
Platinum member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
I’m not a huge fan of the UK Monarchy but they certainly know how to pull off a spectacular funeral and such.

I happened to tune in yesterday morning and was mesmerized. The precision. The beauty. The perfection of it all. Seems as though everything was planned and practiced for decades… a British analyst stated that it was. The Queen had detailed plans for this event. And the Brits had a large airplane hangar to practice it all for decades.

He ended by saying The Brits absolutely know how to stage a Spectacle as this. They sure do. Hats off to them and the solemn mourners the last 10 days.

That said, now we may be in for another “show”. The Harry situation. And apparently King Charles will be trimming the Royal staffs.
Not quite as elaborate as the George Floyd funeral but it was nice...

Old 09-21-2022, 01:19 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhtexasrn View Post
alan turing was not alone in cracking the enigma. The poles and czechs actually had done much work on solving the code but turned it over to the brits when they were invaded by the nazis. There were thousands of people who worked on solving the code. Turing was head of bletchley park where approx. 10,000 people worked and 8,000 of those were women. It was certainly tragic what happened to him. I'm glad he got the recognition that he deserved but i doubt the queen was forced to do anything. Most countries have "stains" of some kind. Why try and take away the beauty and pageantry of the queen's funeral and all of her positive accomplishments by bringing this up? She was an amazing woman.
was answering 2nd half of post #6 that referred to churchill not the queen. I believe your downgrading turing.
Armstrong stood on the moon. He gets the credit although he had help from nasa and the scientist community. What's the difference. Top always gets the credit not to demean the supporting cast. I saw armstrong in a parade. What happened to turing was a disgrace and has been acknowledged and pardoned. History books are written, even the inconvenient ones.
Old 09-21-2022, 02:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,769 Posts

Ummm… exactly why are these other peoples’ names brought up on this thread? My great aunt, Elda, had a wonderful funeral procession too, as wife of a Supreme Court judge, never mind when his honor died. But, what has that got to do with the Queen?
Old 09-21-2022, 07:46 PM
Location: Near Sumter Landing; come down when we can; still live in Forest Hills, a suburb of NYC

That little story is touching & funny.
Closed Thread

Tags
brits, decades, stage, spectacle, absolutely

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.