Senior care is crushingly expensive. Boomers aren’t ready.

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2023, 12:45 PM
Exclamation Senior care is crushingly expensive. Boomers aren’t ready.

“Long-term care costs represent “the single largest financial risk” facing seniors and their families….

A wave of Americans has been reaching retirement age largely unprepared for the extraordinary costs of specialized care. These aging baby boomers — 73 million strong, the oldest of whom turn 77 this year — pose an unprecedented challenge to the U.S. economy, as individual families shoulder an increasingly ruinous financial burden with little help from stalemated policymakers in Washington.

The dilemma is particularly vexing for those in the economic middle. They can’t afford the high costs of care on their own, yet their resources are too high for them to qualify for federal safety-net insurance. An estimated 18 million middle-income boomers will require care for moderate to severe needs but be unable to pay for it.

“It’s this really enormous financial bomb sitting out there that most people are just hoping won’t hit them,” said Marc A. Cohen, co-director of the LeadingAge LTSS Center at the University of Massachusetts at Boston. “There’s an incredible amount of confusion and denial.””

What should be done?

https://wapo.st/42pxufs
Old 03-18-2023, 12:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump4 View Post

“It’s this really enormous financial bomb sitting out there that most people are just hoping won’t hit them,” said Marc A. Cohen, co-director of the LeadingAge LTSS Center at the University of Massachusetts at Boston. “There’s an incredible amount of confusion and denial.””

What should be done?

No wonder.
Have you checked what it cost to live/retire in Boston Massachusetts????
Old 03-18-2023, 01:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

What should be done? Nothing.

The Government already pays too much for nursing home care under Medicaid, and the care is lousy. We don't need to waste any more taxpayer money.
Old 03-18-2023, 04:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
What should be done? Nothing.

The Government already pays too much for nursing home care under Medicaid, and the care is lousy. We don't need to waste any more taxpayer money.
So your answer is:

Let them suffer and/or die.
Old 03-18-2023, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

I’m a Boomer and I’m ready.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 03-19-2023, 07:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump4 View Post
“Long-term care costs represent “the single largest financial risk” facing seniors and their families….

A wave of Americans has been reaching retirement age largely unprepared for the extraordinary costs of specialized care. These aging baby boomers — 73 million strong, the oldest of whom turn 77 this year — pose an unprecedented challenge to the U.S. economy, as individual families shoulder an increasingly ruinous financial burden with little help from stalemated policymakers in Washington.

The dilemma is particularly vexing for those in the economic middle. They can’t afford the high costs of care on their own, yet their resources are too high for them to qualify for federal safety-net insurance. An estimated 18 million middle-income boomers will require care for moderate to severe needs but be unable to pay for it.

What should be done?

What should be done? What CAN be done?

LTC insurance is available but if it is a new policy purchased by a person at or near retirement age is VERY expensive and is more so as one ages. But there are other options out there: the frailties of aging don't necessarily mean that nursing home/memory care placement is mandatory. Personal Care Attendant care in-home is available most places and is nickels and dimes compared to actual institutional care. Spouses can be taught to see to at least some of the increased needs of the other person.

Dad always said that if he knew he was in for a long dying process he'd take an airplane for one last ride. He never got the chance: Parkinson's meant a nursing home stay of eight years before he finally passed away. Mom however did have the opportunity. In her eighties, diabetes, bad heart, cancer survivor, diminished ambulation. She lived with my sister. One day at home she fell and broke her leg. She knew she was looking at a long bedridden time and the chances of the leg healing correctly were slim. So she called the company that monitored her pacemaker and asked them to turn hers off.

She was dead the next day.

She made the right choice.
Old 04-23-2023, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
What should be done? What CAN be done?

LTC insurance is available but if it is a new policy purchased by a person at or near retirement age is VERY expensive and is more so as one ages. But there are other options out there: the frailties of aging don't necessarily mean that nursing home/memory care placement is mandatory. Personal Care Attendant care in-home is available most places and is nickels and dimes compared to actual institutional care. Spouses can be taught to see to at least some of the increased needs of the other person.

Dad always said that if he knew he was in for a long dying process he'd take an airplane for one last ride. He never got the chance: Parkinson's meant a nursing home stay of eight years before he finally passed away. Mom however did have the opportunity. In her eighties, diabetes, bad heart, cancer survivor, diminished ambulation. She lived with my sister. One day at home she fell and broke her leg. She knew she was looking at a long bedridden time and the chances of the leg healing correctly were slim. So she called the company that monitored her pacemaker and asked them to turn hers off.

She was dead the next day.

She made the right choice.
What a brave woman and for the rest of you an act of love.
Old 04-23-2023, 07:50 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Maybe not the total answer but home health care is much cheaper than an assisted living/nursing facility which averages about $7,000 a month and increasing yearly. It’s a huge community issue that is not futuristic but a today problem that cries for answers. To start we have to train more health care personnel because without them you can’t get this ship to sail at all.
Old 04-23-2023, 07:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

I have found how important it was when my Dad got long term health care years ago. Thank God he planned ahead.

You may want to check out the TRI-COUNTY CAREGIVER RESOURCE CENTER.

I copied their name off their website. Sorry about the shouting.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-23-2023 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-23-2023, 09:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

IMO a compassionate society would include in its list of options, that of patient chosen painless death. Like the woman above who had the option by turning off her pacemaker, we all should have the option to die on our own terms, not requiring hanging ourselves or shooting ourselves.

Nitrogen inhalation would be one good choice. A narcotic overdose would be another. We do it for our pets but deny it to ourselves. I have never had any person give me a reasonable explanation as to why this humane option is not provided to us.
Old 04-23-2023, 09:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
IMO a compassionate society would include in its list of options, that of patient chosen painless death. Like the woman above who had the option by turning off her pacemaker, we all should have the option to die on our own terms, not requiring hanging ourselves or shooting ourselves.

Nitrogen inhalation would be one good choice. A narcotic overdose would be another. We do it for our pets but deny it to ourselves. I have never had any person give me a reasonable explanation as to why this humane option is not provided to us.
Yup. Because we couldn't afford long-term care insurance, we'll have to exhaust all our savings, and lose our home, just to be eligible for a nursing home. We don't have enough income to pay for our home AND home health care, and we never earned enough to save hundreds of thousands like some people could. We lived within our means, and we're still living within our means.

But many people don't realize that "within" our means also means not having extra to save for 1, 2, 5, 10 years of needing 24/7 nursing care.
Old 04-24-2023, 12:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Dad died 3 years ago in his house while cooking, he was 90. Mom is now 92 and still lives in the house. As for me, I am on the younger side of the boomers. When my cancer kills me, my wife will get life insurance, can sell one or both houses, can sell my truck, the boat and one or both campers. This will get he by for a long while. In addition she will collect my pension until she passes. All should work out fine.
Old 04-24-2023, 06:22 AM

The globalists are taking care of it for us. It's called "depopulation."
Old 04-24-2023, 06:42 AM

My MIL passed last year at the age of 96. She required round-the-clock care in her home for the last 4 months of her life. Thank goodness she had savings since it ran nearly $15,000 a month. That was $20/ hour, 24 hours a day. Hospice provided the medical care but they don't help with direct care. Her wish was to stay in her own home with her little dog at her side. It wasn't easy to find and coordinate care, but we did it.
Old 04-24-2023, 07:31 AM
Default Wasted TRILLIONS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Yup. Because we couldn't afford long-term care insurance, we'll have to exhaust all our savings, and lose our home, just to be eligible for a nursing home. We don't have enough income to pay for our home AND home health care, and we never earned enough to save hundreds of thousands like some people could. We lived within our means, and we're still living within our means.

But many people don't realize that "within" our means also means not having extra to save for 1, 2, 5, 10 years of needing 24/7 nursing care.
Wasted Trillions and it continues
Closed Thread

Tags
care, financial, boomers, costs, high

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.