Shallow Thinkers

Closed Thread
Old 09-17-2022, 08:03 PM
Platinum member
Default Idk, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymeister View Post
well, i remember being told to wear cloth masks and not touch anything to avoid c-19 when it was known that this did not and does not stop c-19 transmission.

So to answer the op, no we have learned nothing.
what about those rubber door jambs.
A few in every room would make entry diddicult
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220917_210317.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	95121  
Old 09-18-2022, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,351 Times in 4,346 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherylncliff View Post
The reality is, masks do work. Read this from the mayo clinic. Sadly, we have taken a giant step backwards regarding gun control.

How well do face masks protect against COVID-19? - Mayo Clinic
Your link only cites old CDC data. Data that they've since backed off from...

To your 2nd point... Another topic for another day...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-18-2022, 08:26 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,322 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Well, I remember being told to wear cloth masks and not touch anything to avoid C-19 when it was known that this did not and does not stop C-19 transmission.

So to answer the OP, no we have learned nothing.
Masks may have some benefits. Of course some are better than others and masks are still required last time I went into doctors building last week. Surgeons wear them while performing surgery. People are still getting Covid and some are dying. IMHO vaccines are best for protection but nothing is 100% guarantee.
Old 09-18-2022, 09:01 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,322 Times in 548 Posts
Default Good post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
Good info. Scientists made recommendations based on best data at the time and regularly reviewed and updated as we learned more about the virus. And subsequent variations of the virus may have different characteristics and require different behavior. Now I believe they are saying that a good fitting N95 mask, used properly, is very effective, cloth masks not so much.
Good post. I didn’t have to get under a desk as the OP originally suggested was the practice in those days. Getting under your desk was a good practice for an advancing tornado but for a nuclear bomb not so much. When you think
about it, nothing was gained but then nothing was lost either by the practice.
Old 09-18-2022, 04:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Iwaszko View Post
hi,
do you remember in the 60's in school when we were told to hide under our desks in case of a nuclear bomb attack, dah!

The same instruction is given to school children if there is a shooter on the premises

Have we not learned anything in 60 years?
So have you actually been through the instructions given to teachers, staff and students. I have and that’s not what they are told.
Old 09-18-2022, 08:59 PM

what are they told? enlighten
Old 09-19-2022, 07:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,734 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeycereal View Post
Growing up in Hawaii, at school we had sirens go off at the beginning of each month. Lasted about 30 seconds. Whenever I watched the Time Machine I got flashbacks and would dive under a desk.
Same thing back in Southern Minnesota. The tornado sirens were tested the first Wednesday of every month at 1:00 PM sharp.

I didn't know where the town siren was located until one day I rode past it on my motorcycle when it kicked in. Sound that loud has some funny effects: I was disoriented and dizzy, and for a couple of moments I couldn't remember where I was going. Fortunately the road had a wide shoulder; I pulled over and let the effects wear off. Took maybe a couple of minutes.
Old 09-19-2022, 07:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,734 Times in 1,555 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Guns were far, far more available prior to the gun control act of 1968. There were sales ads for guns of all descriptions in many magazines. You filled out the order slip, enclosed a money order or check and mailed it out. A few days later your friendly postal worker would deliver it right to your doorstep. No background check, no identification required. What has changed? If you don't know the answer, I'm not going to waste my time and effort to explain it.
I remember those days. The NRA magazine "American Rifleman" used to regularly run ads selling surplus military rifles. Even by the standards of the day they were ridiculously cheap. Dad ordered a couple of (I believe) 30:06 Springfield rifles which arrived packed in cosmoline. Dad was an amateur gunsmith so he sporterized them: looked pretty good as I remember.

Funny--we feared The Bomb back then but not each other.
Old 09-25-2022, 08:34 PM

I just retired from education. The standard practice for a shooter in the building was to hide out of view from the locked door's small window and close all the window shades. We would go to a safe corner of the room. If you were in the halls, you would get students into bathrooms and classrooms immediately and if in the cafeteria all students into the kitchen area. If there was a potential threat outside the building or the surrounding community, all window shades closed, all doors locked, and none can leave or enter the building. No hiding under desks!
Closed Thread

Tags
school, learned, premises, attack, shooter

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.