Social Security, yea or nay?

Closed Thread
Old 01-28-2015, 01:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Here's a valid hypothetical: Would you opt out of Social Security if the only other existing safety net would be welfare? I am NOT saying Social Security retirement is welfare. However, what welfare program is being discussed for a safety net?
Choosing between Social Security and welfare (for the needy) is a valid choice but not an easy one. Although, I think in many cases the standard of living wouldn't be much different between the two.

Quote:
Before the Social Security retirement existed and there was no forced saving through payroll deduction, weren't individuals responsible for their own savings for retirement? What kind of government welfare was in place at that time (pre-Social Security retirement)? Were people able to get this welfare for retirement living?
Many extended families lived in close proximity, and they tended to help each other when needed. At some point, before Social Security, there was state aid. My grandfather received state aid during his retirement in CT.

Quote:
I remember seeing photographs in history books of people during the Great Depression selling apples on street corners in order to make a little money. Wasn't there any kind of government welfare available for the millions of people out of work at that time?
During the time of the Great Depression the following programs were started: 1) the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was created in 1933 to combat unemployment and... 2) the Federal Housing Administration (FHA) was also created to deal with the housing crisis.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.