Solar Panel Fields

Old 06-05-2024, 06:28 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,161 Times in 1,371 Posts
Default Solar Panel Fields

Solar panel fields are showing all over the country. Loss of farmland is my biggest fear. But what does the reflection back into the sky effect? Could this cause global warming?
Old 06-05-2024, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,304 Times in 5,491 Posts

I'm not a solar panel expert, but I thought the purpose of a solar panel was to capture and absorb the energy from the sun and to convert it into electrical energy. So, your fear seems to be the opposite of what really occurs.
Old 06-05-2024, 08:54 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,063 Times in 793 Posts

No worse than a 6 lane highway or blacktop parking lot.
“ They paved paradise and put up a parking lot”
Old 06-05-2024, 09:11 AM
Sage

Whether the energy from the sun is absorbed into the earth or reflected upwards, the total amount of heat energy doesn't change.
Old 06-05-2024, 09:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,018 Times in 390 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Solar panel fields are showing all over the country. Loss of farmland is my biggest fear. But what does the reflection back into the sky effect? Could this cause global warming?
The loss of ice cover at the Poles is speeding climate change as the white surface reflects a lot of the Sun's energy straight back into space. Anything that reflects this energy will help slow climate change, and the nearer that surface is to the Tropics the more beneficial the effect will be (as there is a lot more of the Sun's energy per square foot at the Tropics than at the Poles).

Solar panels have also been shown to be beneficial on farmland in hot areas as livestock can use the shade to stay cooler and grass tends to grow better because there is more moisture due to lower evaporation.

It would be nice if large areas of black tarmac (roads and car parks) could be made lighter to increase reflection, but doing this would be difficult in high-traffic areas

Replacing dark roofs with a lighter-colored material would also be beneficial. Flying into CLT and MIA last week I was disappointed by the huge areas of warehouse rooftop with not a single solar panel - no doubt with air-conditioners working overtime to keep the buildings cool
Old 06-05-2024, 01:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,650 Times in 2,648 Posts

Our near neighbors, a husband and wife, say solar farms can attract the beams from space lasers, and combined with the deadly rays from 5G phone towers, cause things like Covid, and brain cancers.
Says we should erect a small Yurt in our garden, and hang lots of crystals inside to purify our body systems.
I kid you not!

You have been warned!
Old 06-05-2024, 01:11 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Our near neighbors, a husband and wife, say solar farms can attract the beams from space lasers, and combined with the deadly rays from 5G phone towers, cause things like Covid, and brain cancers.
Says we should erect a small Yurt in our garden, and hang lots of crystals inside to purify our body systems.
I kid you not!

You have been warned!
Just proves you can pick your friends....but not your neighbors!
Old 06-05-2024, 02:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,616 Times in 5,621 Posts

Quote:
I kid you not!

You have been warned!
Thought tin foil worked better. Do not think that ARC would approve a yurt
Old 06-05-2024, 09:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,973 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:
I kid you not!

You have been warned!
😄😁😆😅🤣😂🤭 O! M! G! Heavens to Betsy!
Old 06-06-2024, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
The loss of ice cover at the Poles is speeding climate change as the white surface reflects a lot of the Sun's energy straight back into space. Anything that reflects this energy will help slow climate change, and the nearer that surface is to the Tropics the more beneficial the effect will be (as there is a lot more of the Sun's energy per square foot at the Tropics than at the Poles).

Solar panels have also been shown to be beneficial on farmland in hot areas as livestock can use the shade to stay cooler and grass tends to grow better because there is more moisture due to lower evaporation.

It would be nice if large areas of black tarmac (roads and car parks) could be made lighter to increase reflection, but doing this would be difficult in high-traffic areas

Replacing dark roofs with a lighter-colored material would also be beneficial. Flying into CLT and MIA last week I was disappointed by the huge areas of warehouse rooftop with not a single solar panel - no doubt with air-conditioners working overtime to keep the buildings cool
Thank you. True. A tough job speaking truth these days.
Old 06-06-2024, 05:49 AM

Quote:

I think it's funny that people forgot what the word THEORY means.
Old 06-06-2024, 06:35 AM

Quote:

Barely even a novice, but, while I understand that light colored and shiny things reflect the light, are you saying that a white roof reflects the sunlight all the way back into space so that it does not heat our atmosphere? I know that when I wear a white shirt, I am not nearly as hot as when I wear a black shirt in the sun. But I assumed that the effect was localized, i.e. while I personally was cooler, the heat energy still existed around me and was not reflected all the way to space so that the earth's temperature was lower.
Old 06-06-2024, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Cause Global warming? Global warming has been going on for years. Farms with live stock - cows - have contributed to global warming. Farms are disappearing because the younger generation doesn't want to do the hard work in farming. Immigrants are the only people who will do the work. Solar panels are the least of our worries about global warming. Do some legitimate research on the subject.
Old 06-06-2024, 06:45 AM
Sage

Quote:

"a lot of the Sun's energy".

How much is a lot?
Old 06-06-2024, 06:46 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondering View Post
Cause Global warming? Global warming has been going on for years. Farms with live stock - cows - have contributed to global warming. Farms are disappearing because the younger generation doesn't want to do the hard work in farming. Immigrants are the only people who will do the work. Solar panels are the least of our worries about global warming. Do some legitimate research on the subject.
That's partly correct...farming is generational...so when that younger generation is faced with continuing the family business or cashing out in acreage that is at an all time high in value....i can understand the choice. Unless I'm mistaken, didnt the developer here buy out several farms over the years to accomplish his goals? Not a bad thing for the model but from a business perspective, both parties seem to benefit from the transaction.

Tags
solar, fields, panel, global, effect

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.