Tiger Woods Injured

Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2009, 07:24 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default with fear and trembling...

I am going to post something...hopefully I will be able to express it without being pounced on...

It is so sad about Tiger and his family. What I do respect is his leave of absence. Although golf is important to him ...his wife fand family should come first. At least he will have a chance to work on that. That way he can look back and say at least he tried to do something.

If he has a weakness toward other women best to get him out of that situation soon.

All this to say who knows how it will turn out. If he can get his personal life back together...hopefully he can return to the PGA stronger and better for it.

IMHO
Old 12-12-2009, 08:58 AM
Gold member

If you want to increase the value of something, make it scarce and hard to find/get.
The PGA Tour and it's sponsors are giving a lot of "lip service" to "Tiger and his family" but I would love to be a fly on the wall behind closed doors in the Cigar smoke filled corporate offices. Tiger's absence from the tour (by 1 report) may cut viewership by a staggering 50%!!!! We know how much the LPGA and Championship tours are struggling for sponsors. The financial impact of this is astronomical.
It reminds me of the NBA. I never watched it BEFORE Michael Jordan played, and I have not watched it since.
I love watching golf on TV and typically watch the LAST hour Sunday of a 4 day tourney....that is , unless, Tiger is playing. Then I DVR all 4 days and watch Tiger.. I wonder if I am an aberration or if I represent the average viewer?
Old 12-12-2009, 09:34 AM
Sage

The ratings are the highest when Tiger has a huge lead.

The ratings are good when he's near the lead.

The ratings are less when he isn't in contention.

And the ratings suck when he's not even entered into the tournament.

Yes his absence will hurt the tour!

_____

PS> - She means Jack Nicklaus.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,391 Posts
Default I am sure he is being guided by his lawyers and wonder how much is

really "family" oriented.
You know what they say....you can rearrange a leopards spots and when you get done you still have a leopard....in this case a Tiger.

The ultimate motivation of all behavior in any subject related to what he has done....no matter who....or what...or where....or the organization.....

the almighty $$$$$$$$$$$$$$......nothing more.

Like Vick went away and came back whole (some pretend!!!!!!) so will Tiger....with a well made, prepared, rehearsed profile that will take advantage of what he has been through......and conquered. Will the movie be better than the book?

The future earnings will determine what door he comes back through....nothing more.

btk
Old 12-12-2009, 09:38 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

RSH,

I am not as disciplined - but I am more interested if Tiger (and/or Phil) are playing. Felt the same about Annika...

SSMith, I agree with you - and I hope that he really does get help, becasue I totally get BTK's comment on Vick.

Jeannie and JBlum - I think the reference was to Jack Nicklaus (and not Jack for Will & Grace)

k
Old 12-12-2009, 09:53 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,229 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post
RSH,

I am not as disciplined - but I am more interested if Tiger (and/or Phil) are playing. Felt the same about Annika...

SSMith, I agree with you - and I hope that he really does get help, because I totally get BTK's comment on Vick.

Jeannie and JBlum - I think the reference was to Jack Nicklaus (and not Jack for Will & Grace)

k
pssst, Kate, you are right about Gracie's Jack thing. I am pretty sure. But, I have a feeling Gracie is playing through with her comment on the roles Doris Day used to play. Doris Day was often in romantic movies with Rock Hudson.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 12-12-2009 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
pssst, Kate, you are right about Gracie's Jack thing. I am pretty sure. But, I have a feeling Gracie is playing through with her comment on the roles Doris Day used to play. Doris Day was often in romantic movies with Rock Hudson.

Boomer

Who's Rock Hudson? Is he gay??
Old 12-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,559 Times in 1,931 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
I am going to post something...hopefully I will be able to express it without being pounced on...

It is so sad about Tiger and his family. What I do respect is his leave of absence. Although golf is important to him ...his wife fand family should come first. At least he will have a chance to work on that. That way he can look back and say at least he tried to do something.

If he has a weakness toward other women best to get him out of that situation soon.

All this to say who knows how it will turn out. If he can get his personal life back together...hopefully he can return to the PGA stronger and better for it.

IMHO
Nothing to pounce on you about.

I know most of us feel the same way.

My husband Sweetie says that he is taking an hiatus from Golf to concentrate on his personal family life. I say, yes maybe, but I think mostly because of the fact that he is SO embarassed and if you have watched him over the years, you would know he hates sharing anything private. He HATES messing up in any way.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalen View Post
Ah Whalen, you know darned good and well who he is. That wonderful leading man who had to keep his sexuality secret because of the roles he played and because of the times. And Doris Day was a Cincinnati girl who said smart alecky things like, "The really frightening thing about middle age is that you know you will grow out of it."

Boomer

(and now I will go finish my dissertation on my adventure in grouchiness and my interest in Tiger.)

Last edited by Boomer; 12-12-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:

Boomer
Oh Boomer - you and Gracie are so smart. I missed that clever little reference... kudos Gracie
Old 12-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalen View Post
Gail,

Rock Hudson was an amazingly handsome leading man - he was also gay in an era where coming out would be worse for your career than McCarthyism,
Old 12-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Ah Whalen, you know darned good and well who he is. That wonderful leading man who had to keep his sexuality secret because of the roles he played and because of the times. And Doris Day was a Cincinnati girl who said smart alecky things like, "The really frightening thing about middle age is that you know you will grow out of it."

Boomer

(and now I will go finish my dissertation on my adventure in grouchiness and my interest in Tiger.)

Boom,
I knew I couldn't fool you.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:53 AM
Gold member

I hate to see the comparison to Michael Vick, as I feel Vick is a complete degenerate, and I just can't put Woods in the same category as Vick. Vick's crimes (and they were heinous, ugly crimes) put him in jail, where most people believe he belonged. Woods' transgressions are not crimes. But all that being said, I believe that Vick has received good advice on how to overcome his situation, and he seems well on his way to recovery in the eyes of the public. Once out of jail, he got out in front of the situation, even getting involved with the Humane Society as an anti-dogfighting spokesman. I have a feeling that Vick does these things mostly to get his fame and fortune back, but who knows what is inside his head? My point is that Woods needs to take a lesson from Vick and start getting out in front of his situation. Tiger's silence has been deafening, and until he speaks directly to "his" public, the current situation is never going to improve. So many celebrities have found this out the hard way, and it's hard for me to understand how someone with Tiger's resources can't get the proper advice (or maybe he's received that advice but isn't man enough to follow it).
Old 12-12-2009, 11:12 AM
Soaring Parsley
Default A dissertation on my interest in Tiger...and some other stuff, too

I don’t know if is the bitterly cold Ohio weather or this silly Golden Eagle status that is making me behave in such a grouchy and un-Boomer-like manner.

But I am working on it.

This morning I found my fuzzy robe in the back of the closet, and I donned it over top my flannel pajamas, and we have turned on the heat under the tile floor beneath my feet, and so I am feeling much warmer, and, yes, fuzzier.

And I just had a nice, lazy breakfast. Instead of staying outside, in the cold, for a long time, to hunt for food myself, I intimidated a big hawk into dropping the rabbit he was carrying. It did not take long at all. Oh, and I filed down my talons – ever so slightly.

And now my grouchiness is directed only at Tiger.

When I first heard about the mess Tiger made, my response was simply a jaded response. I figured he would do that all too familiar Mea Culpa Dance, and after that, his feet of clay would fit into his golf shoes just fine. And yes, that’s right. I was not interested in Tiger Woods’ business ...UNTIL….I realized that Tiger Woods’ business is my business.

I was thinking about starting a separate Tiger thread in the investment forum and titling it “The Business of Tiger Woods.”

And I was going to tell you all about how, clutching that little paper that says I have a handful of shares, that paper that gets me in the door, I went to the Procter and Gamble stockholders meeting in October.

And I was going to tell you all about how my favorite part of the meeting is always the part where the CEO takes questions from the stockholders.

And then I was going to tell you about how an articulate, pleasant, dignified, older lady asked A. G. Lafley an interesting question. She said, in a quiet, classy way, “Why do we have a filthy-mouthed young woman tennis player representing one of our products?”

And a ripple of mumbling went through the audience. And the question was passed off to either the new guy who is taking over for Lafley or to somebody from legal. Can’t remember who took that question. It wasn’t Lafley. Lafley was retiring. (He had just reached the age for early Social Security so I think that helped him decide.)

Anyway, the answer was that the young woman had apologized, but that P&G would be watching. And I found that to be an acceptable answer. Yes, the young woman had messed up in the heat of the moment. Who hasn’t? And from a purely business point of view, P&G has a lot of money tied up in her, a lot of ads already in place, and the complication of cutting her loose or making a huge deal out of it would make a passing problem a bigger problem. And the issue, at that point, had already faded from the news. I thought the answer was OK.

But back to Tiger….I had not paid much attention to it. I did not read anymore about it (except on TOTV, of course) and I did not watch the television stuff. Not my business. Not interested.

But then. Just a few days ago. It finally occurred to me. Procter and Gamble owns Gillette. I own a little piece of Procter and Gamble. Damn! I am invested in Tiger Woods!

I am not concerned that this thing will have an effect on the stock price. That won’t factor in. But I am really ticked off, thinking about the amount of money that has been spent by P&G buying what sure looked like the perfect image. A lot of money – right down the drain. And no matter how tiny…… a little piece of that money was mine. And this one is not going to fade fast. Oh, he will play again. But his image is forever tarnished. This one was not a mistake. This one was a way of life.

So I guess I have to say, after all, that I do have an interest in Tiger Woods.

Boomer

(And that is what I was going to tell you all about if I had started a new thread in the investment forum.)

Last edited by Boomer; 12-12-2009 at 11:43 PM. Reason: must stop seeing things after posting, makes me look like an English major
Old 12-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Sage
Default The Very Picture of Grace!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
When there is intensity of feeling, most people try to clarify just what they said and what they meant.

We see that on this forum a lot. It is one of the reasons I read it.

I may not always agree with what I read and if I don't I switch to another post or thread.

I even enjoy reading that people have had enough. Ahhhh those First Amendment rights we all enjoy in this great country.

Keep on writing everyone. I will read you.
I so agree.

But what I really want to say is, Gracie, you have a keen emphathy that is rare and wonderful.

This shows in so many of your posts. (Another example from this same thread: "One thing I was taught. You should not gamble with more than you can afford to lose. All of his money now will not give him the wonderful experience of being with his children every day or buy back his good name in a lot of peoples views. Money, after a certain level, only brings bigger houses, and bigger toys like boats and airplanes. I feel in my heart that there is a Tiger in there somewhere who would give it all away to have what he lost.")

Anyway, thanks for your many uplifting posts. OK, sorry y'all, if I've gotten off topic.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.