UFO encounters?

Closed Thread
Old 02-25-2011, 03:40 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Ufo

One of the main problems with this topic is we draw our conclusions from our life's experiences. Think back for a second about the how experts in every field of science have altered their opinion based on new findings as respects dinosaurs, human evolution, etc. Another way to view this is to remember " we don't know what we don't know." Early man thought the heart controlled our emotions, etc and that the world was flat and that the gods demanded sacrifaces. And what I view as the most damaging are experts, leaders , etc. "egos" I am a believer that all things can be explained the trick of course depends on when the undisputable facts are uncovered. for the flat world theory when man finally figured out they would fall off the earth by sailing the oceans. As respects the universe we humans may equate to being infants????
Old 02-25-2011, 06:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
First of all let me say that I do believe that there is life out there in the universe. And they are probably completely different than us. I do believe that people posting have seen these phenomena.

And I have a question: We keep sending probes to these different planets to see if there is water. For some reason our scientists believe that water equals life. Why do these scientists think that any other life form in the universe or other galaxy is like us and needs water to exist?

Just curious.

Z
You're right. They are assuming "life as we know it", which is a very narrow view. Just in the past year of so they discovered life existing in the bottom of the ocean in a cyanide environment. That was impossible up to then.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:42 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
How's this for an idea.

There is a belief held among some that earthlings were put here by beings from another plant for whatever reason. Maybe they wanted to see what happens (kinda like an ant farm) or their planet was in danger of demise or what ever.
It just may be that WE are the aliens and just don't know it... yet! The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 02-25-2011, 06:45 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
Because you asked, SkyGuy............
The mother ship will not come for me until I finish my research. Although most reports from other astronauts say, “This planet will self destruct”, I feel you Village People are a peaceful bunch and I need to continue my studies a bit longer until I find out why. Are you taking happy pills or is there something in that terrible tasting water?
No, neither pills or the water. It's just that we care about our alien residents! The Villages Florida
Old 02-25-2011, 10:15 PM
Sage

One thing never made sense to me: If indeed we have or are being visited by Aliens then wouldn't they by default be more advanced than us? They'd have to be since we don't have the technology to visit them but they can visit us.

If that statement is true then why on earth (pun intended) would they need to study us? One look and they'd know "been there, done that" and just move on.
Old 02-26-2011, 08:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston View Post
One thing never made sense to me: If indeed we have or are being visited by Aliens then wouldn't they by default be more advanced than us? They'd have to be since we don't have the technology to visit them but they can visit us.

If that statement is true then why on earth (pun intended) would they need to study us? One look and they'd know "been there, done that" and just move on.
A study of their times gone by? We study the ancients without the benefit of having a live show, maybe we're just "entertainment" and a learning experience.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default If and when

I was one on one with a UFO not sure what my reaction would be...I'd be in awe I'm sure but frightened at the same time...What about you? My husband would ask for a ride in the spaceship, and then I'd have to play golf all by myself!!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 03:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

Perhaps they are waiting for us to become more highly evolved. Right now, all they can see is the natural world being poisened and the wildlife disappearing.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Sage

Quote:

Absolutely they would be more advanced than us. Secondly they may be studying us for the same reasons we study whales, birds, etc. Our habits may be unfamiliar to them. They may also want to see how we progress. The movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still" made in the late 40's or early 50's is still one of the best ever to get you thinking.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:47 PM
Gold member

Ah, getting back down to earth here:

It is currently estimated that our home galaxy (the Milky Way) alone contains 500 million planets which, like Earth, could be located in the habitable zone of their parent star. And now that over a thousand planets have been observed and confirmed orbiting other stars in our galaxy, it’s not only possible but highly probable that life exists elsewhere in our own galaxy, not to mention the other estimated 100 billion galaxies in the universe as we know it today.

But the problem isn’t whether or not life exists elsewhere, it’s the monumental distance between the planets that is the obstacle. The Space Shuttle achieves a maximum velocity of 17 thousand miles an hour. If we could somehow make it go 670 million miles an hour (speed of light) it would take a hundred years just to get to most of those close by planets and more likely 500 years to reach an inhabited one.

The most likely method of contact by an alien civilization will be by radio frequency or laser communication picked up by one of the many antennas set up around the globe to receive such signals. Unfortunately, if the transmission was sent from a planet on the other side of our galaxy, it would have taken 100 thousand years to reach us and that civilization may no longer exist at the moment the signal is received.
Old 02-26-2011, 05:26 PM

I'd be scared to death to see a UFO! In fact, I have had trouble sleeping since you started this thread, jebartle, last Thursday! NO WAY I am getting on the Mother Ship...even if Tom H. is already onboard! I do believe "they" are out there, too.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:25 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeBarb View Post
NO WAY I am getting on the Mother Ship...even if Tom H. is already onboard! I do believe "they" are out there, too.
They are out there. Watching us for some reason.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:40 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
The movie "The Day the Earth Stood Still" made in the late 40's or early 50's is still one of the best ever to get you thinking.
Yes! I remember this movie but not as well as I would like since I was only 4 years old when it was released on 28 September 1951. For those who may be interested, there is a nice review on the movie at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043456/.
The Villages Florida
Old 02-26-2011, 11:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

How about "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" with Richard Dreyfuss? I still love that movie!
Old 03-03-2011, 01:28 PM
Veteran member
Default British UFO files released ....

8,500 pages of previously classified reports. Go to:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41887728?GT1=43001
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.