Yeah, skip right on by DirectTV

Closed Thread
Old 01-12-2021, 10:47 AM
Veteran member
Default Yeah, skip right on by DirectTV

Recently we had an issue with our DirectTV equipment. The short of it is that a knowledgeable, polite service rep helped to identify that the remote may have keys worn out and would need to be replaced. Note that the remote is not damaged, but the receiver is not as responsive as it should be, so the first pass looks like a new remote should work. So far so good in terms of my interaction, but alas, DirectTV just doesn't seem to want to help itself.

You see, DirectTV is going to charge me (it is only $16, but it is the principle here) to replace a remote that is used to operate equipment for which I pay a monthly rental fee. The service rep attempted to cross sell me a monthly insurance service plan ($8.99 a month) so that the replacement remote would now be free, as well as any other equipment replacement. I pointed out that I am renting their equipment and that the receiver I rented was reconditioned in 2017 (there was a sticker on it to that effect), so if there was a problem with it, DirectTV would want me to either pay to replace it (remember it wasn't new to begin with), or if they did not have it available, they would want me to extend my contract to get new equipment.

I acknowledged that the service rep wasn't responsible for the company policy, so my issue was not with her. I let her know that I would pay for the remote (the hassle of using it as is is not worth it to me to save the money), but as soon as our contract expires in June, we would sever our relationship with DirectTV. I also let her know that we had left DirectTV once before and came back (this was before a DVR cloud was available, not to mention a $300 gift card and free NFL ticket for a year to return), but that DirectTV should not even bother with the emails asking me to return as it will never happen.

Side note: I will be taking photos of all equipment and their serial numbers that is returned to them AND will place a copy of the letter from them listing the equipment they specifically request returned. You see, when I ended the service the last time, they tried billing me for a piece of equipment which was returned to them, but someone on their end did not "check it off' upon receipt. This did get resolved favorably to me.

I know others "cut the cord" a while ago, and it now looks like a viable option for us-THANK GOODNESS!
Old 01-12-2021, 10:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,984 Times in 1,131 Posts

Lucky for me I’ve never had a problem with direct tv in all the years at different homes in villages, but even i f I did I’m staying with them , as long as direct tv holds the NFL ticket I’m all in with direct tv
Old 01-12-2021, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,955 Times in 1,161 Posts

I just received 3 new remotes by Fedex overnight from Directv last Thursday. I've been with them since 2008 and have paid the monthly maintenance fee for 12 years and have never had a reason to call a tech out. Finally my 12 year remotes, I have two in the LR and one in BR all became sluggish or unreponsive. I put new batteries in them and it's didn't help.

I called and they saw I had the maintenance and said how many do you need, I said three. He said, they'll be there tomorrow, and they were.

I don't like the new remotes as much as the original ones. They are smaller and fit in the hand better and generally operate the same way, but the buttons are slightly different. Sure maintenance fees in the long is a waste of money until you have a problem.

Here's the remote I've been using for years and gave him this model number.

The Villages Florida

Here is the new remote they sent. It's going to take some getting use to, but it's very responsive, much better than the original when they were new. If you do not want to give your money to Directv, you can buy a two pack of these from Amazon for $9.29 with free shipping.

The Villages Florida

Amazon.com
Old 01-12-2021, 04:46 PM
Veteran member

JohnW... they still have the old style remotes... I just signed up again with Dir tv in August and got the new remotes so I called and asked about the old style I had several yrs. ago ... they overnighted 3 of them ... so they are available
Old 01-12-2021, 05:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ureout View Post
JohnW... they still have the old style remotes... I just signed up again with Dir tv in August and got the new remotes so I called and asked about the old style I had several yrs. ago ... they overnighted 3 of them ... so they are available
Thanks, I don't why they sent the new ones, because I gave the model number of unit. Anyway, now I've used them a few days I'm beginning to like them. They're much more responsive, first click and it does what you. The one feature I liked was the button on the lower left of the ring that said 'back', push that it would go back to whatever you were doing, not back to the other channel. I found the new one will do also, the white ring around the center is a button as well, push the ring in the lower left, you'll go back to the menu, or where ever you were at.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,037 Times in 2,525 Posts

They are all out to raise prices after the suck you in. I can tell you one thing Comlast is bottom feeder.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:57 AM
Veteran member

I had been a DirecTV subscriber for over 20 years - primarily because they offered the NFL Sunday Ticket and no one else does. After moving to Florida I found that the rainouts and lost picture happen way too frequently here. This never happened in MI, and only happened once or twice a year in GA... but in FL during rainy season it's a daily occurrence.

I found an alternate way to watch my favorite NFL team and switched from DirecTV several years ago. Couldn't be happier. No more rainouts or signal loss!
Old 01-20-2021, 09:05 AM
Sage

On direct tv if you switch from the HD station to the one below you’ll be able to watch the station , even during the bad hurricane I didn’t lose my signal all night, if it’s a special program I’m taping especially during rainy season I tape both channels I just in case
Old 01-20-2021, 09:16 AM
Sage

If you move down from the HD station you can keep watching the show, even during the hurricane we had I never lost the signal . During the rainy season if it’s something I don’t want to miss I tape both channels and you can always just go to something you have taped to watch , as I said before I’ll never give up my NFL ticket, I love to gamble on football and shoot dice even at 82 you have to have some vices

Last edited by charlieo1126@gmail.com; 01-20-2021 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-20-2021, 01:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
If you move down from the HD station you can keep watching the show, even during the hurricane we had I never lost the signal . During the rainy season if it’s something I don’t want to miss I tape both channels and you can always just go to something you have taped to watch , as I said before I’ll never give up my NFL ticket, I love to gamble on football and shoot dice even at 82 you have to have some vices
I concur, by switching to the SD (Standard Definition) channel in most cases you can keep the picture. The only time this doesn't work is when you have an HD channel only. Some of premium channels and those in the HD Tier do not an SD backup, otherwise it works great. During Hurricane Irma I never even lost the HD picture. Having about 150 hours of recorded programing available is always a good thing if you're stuck without a channel.

As mentioned by a previous poster, I have two neighbors who have Jail-broken Firesticks and get any local channel in America meaning they can watch any game. I heard not long ago they busted many of the vendors at the flea markets for selling those.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayderjoe View Post
Recently we had an issue with our DirectTV equipment. The short of it is that a knowledgeable, polite service rep helped to identify that the remote may have keys worn out and would need to be replaced. Note that the remote is not damaged, but the receiver is not as responsive as it should be, so the first pass looks like a new remote should work. So far so good in terms of my interaction, but alas, DirectTV just doesn't seem to want to help itself.

You see, DirectTV is going to charge me (it is only $16, but it is the principle here) to replace a remote that is used to operate equipment for which I pay a monthly rental fee. The service rep attempted to cross sell me a monthly insurance service plan ($8.99 a month) so that the replacement remote would now be free, as well as any other equipment replacement. I pointed out that I am renting their equipment and that the receiver I rented was reconditioned in 2017 (there was a sticker on it to that effect), so if there was a problem with it, DirectTV would want me to either pay to replace it (remember it wasn't new to begin with), or if they did not have it available, they would want me to extend my contract to get new equipment.

I acknowledged that the service rep wasn't responsible for the company policy, so my issue was not with her. I let her know that I would pay for the remote (the hassle of using it as is is not worth it to me to save the money), but as soon as our contract expires in June, we would sever our relationship with DirectTV. I also let her know that we had left DirectTV once before and came back (this was before a DVR cloud was available, not to mention a $300 gift card and free NFL ticket for a year to return), but that DirectTV should not even bother with the emails asking me to return as it will never happen.

Side note: I will be taking photos of all equipment and their serial numbers that is returned to them AND will place a copy of the letter from them listing the equipment they specifically request returned. You see, when I ended the service the last time, they tried billing me for a piece of equipment which was returned to them, but someone on their end did not "check it off' upon receipt. This did get resolved favorably to me.

I know others "cut the cord" a while ago, and it now looks like a viable option for us-THANK GOODNESS!
The same thing happened to me with Direct TV in KCMO. I couldn't believe they were going to charge me for it. Luckily, we found a free old one on Marketplace and my son programmed it for me. Same replies from Direct TV. I kept them, but when I move to TV in a couple of weeks, I'm going to permanently cut the cord I think.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I just received 3 new remotes by Fedex overnight from Directv last Thursday. I've been with them since 2008 and have paid the monthly maintenance fee for 12 years and have never had a reason to call a tech out. Finally my 12 year remotes, I have two in the LR and one in BR all became sluggish or unreponsive. I put new batteries in them and it's didn't help.

I called and they saw I had the maintenance and said how many do you need, I said three. He said, they'll be there tomorrow, and they were.

I don't like the new remotes as much as the original ones. They are smaller and fit in the hand better and generally operate the same way, but the buttons are slightly different. Sure maintenance fees in the long is a waste of money until you have a problem.

Here's the remote I've been using for years and gave him this model number.

The Villages Florida

Here is the new remote they sent. It's going to take some getting use to, but it's very responsive, much better than the original when they were new. If you do not want to give your money to Directv, you can buy a two pack of these from Amazon for $9.29 with free shipping.

The Villages Florida

Amazon.com
BR is for sleeping and one other activity. Not for TV.

Last edited by camaguey48; 01-21-2021 at 03:53 AM. Reason: Did not finish my post.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaguey48 View Post
BR is for sleeping and one other activity. Not for TV.
TV in BR will make you sluggish and unresponsive.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:18 AM
Sage

Your right, the only reason I have a TV in bedroom is for winter tenants ( not this year) of course I never turn any TV before 7pm except for football, I listen to music and read some newspapers from around the world in morning
Closed Thread

Tags
equipment, directtv, remote, service, returned

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.