We would like to move to Sarasota?

Closed Thread
Old 06-21-2015, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,955 Times in 1,161 Posts

Sarasota is more expensive than north of Tampa Bay. Pinellas County (St. Pete - Clearwater) is more reasonable and the further north you go, it's even cheaper. Pasco County and Hernando County you can find nice single family homes in the $150K-$200K range.

I sold real estate in Hernando County in 1989 and at that time I held open houses for new homes. We had brand new 3 BR, 2BA, 2 Car ranchers with birdcage pool for $115K. Hernando would put you about 10 miles north of the nearest beaches, which would be in Hudson. If I were to live down there now, I would look in the Safety Harbor to Dunedin areas. There you could easily go to Clearwater Beach, or downtown St. Pete or go to Tampa across Courtney Campbell Causeway.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Don't forget to figure in the outrageous cost of homeowner's insurance in those places by the water. We could have bought a beautiful condo on Sarasota Bay, but the amenities were well over $700/month due to the insurance. And that was a condo, not a single family residence.

We spent two winters on Anna Maria Island, and I was concerned about the advanced age of the residents and the horrible traffic. It was a good 45 minutes to get from Bradenton to Sarasota in February.
Insurance on a 2500sf, canal front pool home in Port Charlotte less than 10 yrs old was $2700, no bond or other fees. Lots of first rate builders in the area and a few I would not consider. A seasoned agent will help.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:04 AM
Sage

I know a couple who moved from the Village of Tamarind Grove to Bradenton, which is next to Sarasota, last March. They came here in 2011 from Long Island, NY. He worked part-time at Walmart and I played softball with him for a couple of years.

They were not your typical villager. Bob still smoked, and as an ex-smoker I noticed that. It didn't hinder him, he was a great ball player. He would hit a home run and then go over and have a smoke. Him and his wife both had tattooes and rode a pair of Harleys they owned. They would take day trips to the beach quite often.

So last March when I found out their home was for sale, I was a little surprised they were leaving TV. However, after thinking about it, they were probably the people I could imagine doing that. They said they spent so much time at the beach, they figured they might as well move there.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:53 PM

We spent over a decade living in Clearwater. We too loved living near the water even though we were not on the water. The love affair soured after the hurricanes of 2004 and 2005 destroyed the homeowners insurance marketplace. If you live in a coastal county and/or live in a home constructed before the construction codes changed (around 2005 ish), be prepared for homeowners insurance sticker shock. And don't forget to check the flood zone for the property. Many locations have been rezoned in the past few years. Our homeowners premium was based on home replacement cost (not purchase price of your house minus land), and when we left in 2012, our HO renewal premium was $14,000 per year. This makes a huge difference in your monthly out of pocket expenses.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:51 AM

We lived in St Pete Beach for 25 years prior to moving here 2 years ago. It was beautiful but we grew tired of the traffic, threat of hurricanes and the fact that the boat, sea wall, dock, pool, and lanai were not covered by insurance. We had to carry federal wind and flood.
You may want to look at a hurricane map to see the evacuation zones. Flood zones are important to consider when buying near the beach. South Pasadena which is only a couple of minutes from St Pete Beach and Treasure Island is very nice and affordable.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jejuca View Post
...South Pasadena which is only a couple of minutes from St Pete Beach and Treasure Island is very nice and affordable.
In 1969 there was a new franchise fast food restaurant called 'Wagon Ho'. They were headquartered in St. Pete and had plans to open 200 locations in Florida. The first one in Florida was on Pasadena Ave on the left side headed toward the beach.

I was going to St. Pete JC studying Hotel-Restaurant Mgmt and worked at the Wagon Ho in '69 for about 5 months. They were trying to combine an Arbys thin sliced roast beef style sandwiches and flame broiled Burger King style hamburgers, and McDonalds thin style french fries. We wore jeans, western shirts and cowboys hats. We greeted the customer with 'Howdy Partner, can I take your order?' This is all true.

In May of '69 I took the summer off and headed to Ocean City, Maryland to work at my cousins sub shop on the boardwalk. When I returned in August and went by Wagon Ho, the place had completely changed. The very nice couple who bought the franchise were gone, replaced by a manager who worked for the company. Half the employees were gone and business was very little. I actually went back to work for about a month and the location and the company went out of business. It looked like this, with a 15' high wagon master on top with a real canvas cover.

The Villages Florida
Old 06-25-2015, 07:08 PM

I remember that place. My mom moved to St Pete in 1966. I was a teenager and went to Bogie for high school. I think my sister may have worked there during the summer when she was home from college. I met my husband in New York and lived on the island for about 20 years. We moved to St Pete Beach in 1988.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:41 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,343 Times in 558 Posts

OP, real estate on the coast (east or west) seem to rise and fall with the latest "bad" hurricane. It's been a few years since the last one---are we due. Who knows?

In addition to a home in TV, we recently had a condo on Cocoa Beach. Enjoyed it and Sold it. The HOA had no flood insurance---too high according to the Board. Yeah, I was worried about a hurricane and the damage it could cause. The assessment to each condo owner would be very high. A neighbor complex similar to ours just had a $35,000 assessment to repair balconies.

However, many still prefer the coast. It's is beautiful. Buyer beware and be sure to look carefully at the HOA financials before signing a contract.
Old 06-25-2015, 09:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jejuca View Post
I remember that place. My mom moved to St Pete in 1966. I was a teenager and went to Bogie for high school. I think my sister may have worked there during the summer when she was home from college. I met my husband in New York and lived on the island for about 20 years. We moved to St Pete Beach in 1988.
Small world. My parents moved to St. Pete in '59, I graduated from St. Pete High '68. That place was neat to work at, although I wasn't too crazy about the cowboy hat. I believe only 5 stores ever opened and they all closed by the next year. I had a good time there, but in the end, I decided I didn't want to smell like food when I went home. I would of missed your sister since I was gone all summer working in the north.

Last edited by John_W; 06-26-2015 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,557 Times in 1,930 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdonn View Post
We want to be closer to Siesta Key beach, or any beautiful beach on the Gulf side of the state.

Has anyone recently move to TV from that area, (Sarasota and surrounding areas)?

We would like to be able to drive to the beach in 10 or 15 minutes.

I realize that I cannot afford to live very close to the beaches, but where would affordable housing for a younger person (47 years old) be? We like to have families and kids in the neighborhood.

I like the shopping close to us and activities in the area that is geared more towards younger people.

I think TVs is beautiful and great, but it’s way too soon for us to live here.

Thank you in advance for any input on the Sarasota area.

P.S. Spring Hill looks like an affordable area, but from what I have read the beaches are not very user friendly.

Did you look in Bradenton?
Old 09-07-2015, 10:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,117 Times in 4,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdonn View Post
We want to be closer to Siesta Key beach, or any beautiful beach on the Gulf side of the state.

Has anyone recently move to TV from that area, (Sarasota and surrounding areas)?

We would like to be able to drive to the beach in 10 or 15 minutes.

I realize that I cannot afford to live very close to the beaches, but where would affordable housing for a younger person (47 years old) be? We like to have families and kids in the neighborhood.

I like the shopping close to us and activities in the area that is geared more towards younger people.

I think TVs is beautiful and great, but it’s way too soon for us to live here.

Thank you in advance for any input on the Sarasota area.

P.S. Spring Hill looks like an affordable area, but from what I have read the beaches are not very user friendly.
? Didn't you just want to move to Ohio an hour ago?
Old 09-07-2015, 10:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
? Didn't you just want to move to Ohio an hour ago?

You picked up on that also! Old people get confused easily. ::
Old 09-07-2015, 11:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
You picked up on that also! Old people get confused easily. ::
NOT confused....they did post another thread re: Ohio!! Maybe they're the ones who are confused!!!
Old 09-07-2015, 11:54 AM
Sage

Or maybe their plans have changed since this thread was started on June 18

Always beware the dead thread awakened
Old 09-07-2015, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,176 Times in 442 Posts
Default When looking at beach area...

be sure to consider home insurance. From what I understand the closer to
beach the higher the insurance and in some cases NO insurance.
Closed Thread

Tags
area, beach, sarasota, close, live, beaches, affordable, move, younger, beautiful, it’s, great, tvs, geared, activities, people, read, friendly, user, advance, input, p.s, hill, spring, shopping

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.