Would YOU fly on the Boeing 737MAX- JUST re-certified by FAA?

Closed Thread
Old 12-22-2020, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

maybe in 10 years
Old 12-29-2020, 12:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,456 Posts

How about 787 Dreamliner made in South Carolina? No I won’t do the research for you?
Old 12-29-2020, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,780 Times in 1,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
Folks - no big deal - but, just to clarify... the question is solely regarding flying in the Boeing 737MAX. Not COVID, not general air travel.

Personally, I would - if that's the airframe on the day/route/airline I booked.
FAA and Boeing absolutely know - a crash on the MAX, and FAA would be under serious suspicion, and Boeing would be close-to-fatal.

I am not an aircraft engineer by any means, but Boeing's (unbelievably STUPID) decision to include a single point of failure (only one AOA sensor as sole input activating the MCAS system), MCAS coverup, and Boeing's decision to not require pilot training.
Exactly, bottom line - highly experienced (and well paid) avionics engineers were "retired" and systems design work sent to contract engineers in India who never even rode on an aircraft.

It's a beautiful aircraft and I'd fly now that the design has thoroughly analyzed and corrected

Boeing 737 Max Safety System Was Vetoed, Engineer Says - The New York Times
Old 12-29-2020, 10:11 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts12755 View Post
Both were unskilled pilots.
That may be true, but their lack of training didn't cause the accidents. Boeing designed and installed a system (MCAS) that would automatically push the plane's nose down if the system detected a possible stall. And they designed a single point of failure system, which is a giant no-no in the aeronautics business. And to make things even worse, they never mentioned this system in the plane's documentation nor required any special training for pilots. The sensor failed in both cases, the planes detected a stall that wasn't there, and the planes MCAS systems continued to push the nose down over and over again, completely overwhelming the pilots. Boeing also had a corporate culture that was punishing to whistle blowers, at the same time that Boeing executives were involved in cozy relationships with the FAA regulators, who were supposed to be looking over Boeing's shoulder as they designed such systems. This was a major fiasco, not caused by anything done or not done by the pilots.
Old 12-29-2020, 10:15 AM
Sage

Partially true. Better pilots may have realized there was a trim problem and disabled the automatic trim (switch behind the trim wheels) and manually trimmed out the plane. Kind of curious that the crashes occurred with airlines from 3rd world countries. This is not to suggest that Boeing is without fault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
That may be true, but their lack of training didn't cause the accidents. Boeing designed and installed a system (MCAS) that would automatically push the plane's nose down if the system detected a possible stall. And they designed a single point of failure system, which is a giant no-no in the aeronautics business. And to make things even worse, they never mentioned this system in the plane's documentation nor required any special training for pilots. The sensor failed in both cases, the planes detected a stall that wasn't there, and the planes MCAS systems continued to push the nose down over and over again, completely overwhelming the pilots. Boeing also had a corporate culture that was punishing to whistle blowers, at the same time that Boeing executives were involved in cozy relationships with the FAA regulators, who were supposed to be looking over Boeing's shoulder as they designed such systems. This was a major fiasco, not caused by anything done or not done by the pilots.

Last edited by biker1; 12-29-2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old 12-29-2020, 01:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,019 Times in 1,745 Posts

Yes, but just in case, I’d make sure my will is updated.
Old 01-01-2021, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,933 Times in 2,456 Posts

On some route’s you probably don’t have choice?
Old 01-02-2021, 07:02 AM

Absolutely.
Born and raised in Toronto; also lived in Sudbury and Winnipeg while growing up; migrated to Atlanta where I lived for almost 30 years and also spent a year in Milan and two years in Rochester, MN (brrrr).
Closed Thread

Tags
boeing, 737max, crashes, faa, internal

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.