Are You Sure You Want to do This?

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2022, 11:13 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
My Google Maps app only allows a permission to access my location. The other permissions are not allowed. You can change the permissions for apps by going to "settings" "apps" "maps" and "permissions". I think Google Maps is a very useful app.
Thank you.....
Old 02-23-2022, 12:53 PM

Very interesting! You're worried about privacy but your posting on a public forum with a non encrypted type of e mail service! Just checking??
Old 02-23-2022, 12:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,555 Times in 2,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyj66 View Post
Very interesting! You're worried about privacy but your posting on a public forum with a non encrypted type of e mail service! Just checking??
Major difference between that data someone might choose to post or to send over email and the data stored on the phone.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-23-2022, 01:32 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,392 Times in 503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Major difference between that data someone might choose to post or to send over email and the data stored on the phone.
Not really. Much of what they store on their phone is also on their computer or tablet.
Old 02-23-2022, 01:51 PM
Location: Currently York PA and vacations at our Villages home in Belvedere whenever possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
use the app Waze
WAZE was purchased by Google in June of 2013.
Who Owns Waze? Hint, It Isn'''t Former CEO Noam Bardin
Old 02-24-2022, 07:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Oh you’re way better than I am, my computer smarts aren’t as good as your. I’ll just keep doing what I’ve been doing delete it. Sorry! Your expertise is way beyond my knowledge. Whew!
Old 02-24-2022, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,555 Times in 2,146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimes View Post
Not really. Much of what they store on their phone is also on their computer or tablet.
I thought the comparison was between use of an unencrypted email (almost all are) and allowing an app permission to access much of the data stored on the phone. The text of an email contains only what I type while the telemetry data sent from an app back to the developer could contain anything the app has permission to access.

A Google or Gmail *app* on your computer could request permission to access the data on your computer. The gmail tool running in a web browser is much more restricted. Yes, a malicious web application can reach out and access data it isn't supposed to, which is why we don't click on random links in emails or text messages, but it is unlikely that the gmail web page would risk doing that.

I trust Google, Gmail, Facebook, and others to spy on my in every legal way that they can. If I use Gmail, Google Contacts, and Google maps then I'm not surprised at all when I see a "Pin" on the map showing the upcoming reservations that I made through Gmail. I trust them all to collect marketing information and show me targeted adds that I skip past. But I also trust them not to be foolish enough to bypass normal Windows security to access files they did not create.

On the other hand, if I load an app and give it permissions to access files it didn't create then I recognized I am taking a risk. I still trust Google and Facebook in that case but I haven't trusted updates for games and other apps.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 02-24-2022, 09:04 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,392 Times in 503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I thought the comparison was between use of an unencrypted email (almost all are) and allowing an app permission to access much of the data stored on the phone. The text of an email contains only what I type while the telemetry data sent from an app back to the developer could contain anything the app has permission to access.

A Google or Gmail *app* on your computer could request permission to access the data on your computer. The gmail tool running in a web browser is much more restricted. Yes, a malicious web application can reach out and access data it isn't supposed to, which is why we don't click on random links in emails or text messages, but it is unlikely that the gmail web page would risk doing that.

I trust Google, Gmail, Facebook, and others to spy on my in every legal way that they can. If I use Gmail, Google Contacts, and Google maps then I'm not surprised at all when I see a "Pin" on the map showing the upcoming reservations that I made through Gmail. I trust them all to collect marketing information and show me targeted adds that I skip past. But I also trust them not to be foolish enough to bypass normal Windows security to access files they did not create.

On the other hand, if I load an app and give it permissions to access files it didn't create then I recognized I am taking a risk. I still trust Google and Facebook in that case but I haven't trusted updates for games and other apps.
The point is that simply being connected to the internet in any way shape or form poses a risk. People are afraid of an app like Google which actually tells you what data it will access yet log on to TOTV and post personal information not realizing how many people (scammers) worldwide can access it.
Old 02-25-2022, 02:03 PM
Location: Hunsville, AL/Pittsford,NY/Bedford, NH/Castle Rock, CO, Lawndale&Ft MacArthur,CA/Alexandria,VA etc
Default use apple maps if you can

use apple maps if you can
Old 02-25-2022, 08:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,729 Times in 3,193 Posts

So check it out:

If you have an iPhone, you give Apple permission to monitor your usage to make sure you're not breaking their rules. Apple has access to EVERYTHING you do on their phones.

One snippet of several in their privacy rules:
Quote:
Apple uses personal data to power our services, to process your transactions, to communicate with you, for security and fraud prevention, and to comply with law. We may also use personal data for other purposes with your consent.
Samsung's privacy policies aren't as robust, but they generally amount to the same thing.

The takeaway: if you own a device that you use to access the internet in any way, shape, or form, then ALL of the information you have on that device is made available to at LEAST the company that provides you with that access.

You have no choice. By virtue of the fact that you have intentionally used their service to access the internet, you give them access to your device and everything on it.

If you want to be "safe" then ditch the cell phone, computer, tablet, laptop, get landline, and call it a day.
Closed Thread

Tags
google, download, app, access, phone

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.