Measles

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 02-08-2015, 07:14 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
How would Dr Carson suggest we screen illegal immigrants for measles? Is he aware that Measles is not a problem in Central America? In fact as he should know, measles is much more likely to be imported from Asia and Europe. So the fact if your representation is true that Dr Carson chose to mention illegal immigration and measles in the same sentence is not courage but wrong on the facts. I cannot find Carson's words and perhaps you can post a link. The only thing I find is that he said this is not a political issue. If it is not then why did he feel the need to mention immigration, a highly political flashpoint, in his discussion of vaccines?
The total direct quote...

"“It is a good example of what happens,” the pediatric neurosurgeon replied. “These are things that we had under control. We have to account for the fact that we now have people coming into the country, sometimes undocumented people, who perhaps have diseases that we had under control.”

“So now we need to be doubly vigilant about making sure that we immunize our people to keep them from getting diseases that once were under control,” Carson added."


There are a number of links to this quote and I give you this one...

Now Ben Carson Is Blaming Measles Outbreak on ‘Undocumented People’ | Mediaite

As a great example of how folks like to twist what people say depending on what twist they want to put on it.
  #17  
Old 02-08-2015, 09:19 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
You'd know how it became political if you acknowledged the recent absurd Measles comments made by Rand Paul, Chris Christie and Ted Cruz.



Let's first harken back to the very poor handling of the Ebola Crisis and still no Surgeon General to speak out and clarify things...and money wasted on a totally inappropriate "Ebola Czar".

We have in the White House a micro manager and he isn't doing a very good job in too many areas..
  #18  
Old 02-08-2015, 09:32 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Those coming here legally have to have their shots before entering.
  #19  
Old 02-08-2015, 11:53 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Those coming here legally have to have their shots before entering.
There is no requirement whatsoever for those visiting the US only for those permanently immigrating. While the source of the recent measles outbreak is not known it is believed that is was an international visitor to Disneyland.
  #20  
Old 02-09-2015, 07:21 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
There is no requirement whatsoever for those visiting the US only for those permanently immigrating. While the source of the recent measles outbreak is not known it is believed that is was an international visitor to Disneyland.
Sorry but this link indicates immigrants must have proof of vaccinations as part of getting a visa. Your statement does not seem to be supported the Dept Of State.
  #21  
Old 02-09-2015, 07:53 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Information is available on the CDC website on the side effects and frequency of reactions to the vaccine. The politics of taking or not taking vaccines is not included in the list of side effects.
  #22  
Old 02-09-2015, 08:05 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Sorry but this link indicates immigrants must have proof of vaccinations as part of getting a visa. Your statement does not seem to be supported the Dept Of State.
Sorry but apparently you don't know the difference between an immigrant visa which is given to a person planning to stay here, and a visitors visa which is for a tourist. As I said above, there is no vaccination requirement for visitors.

Health Information for Travelers to United States - Traveler view | Travelers' Health | CDC

read the first sentence of the second paragraph.
  #23  
Old 02-09-2015, 08:21 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
[/B]


Let's first harken back to the very poor handling of the Ebola Crisis and still no Surgeon General to speak out and clarify things...and money wasted on a totally inappropriate "Ebola Czar".

We have in the White House a micro manager and he isn't doing a very good job in too many areas..

Surgeon General Dr Murthy, who President Obama nominated in 2013, was confirmed by the Senate and sworn in with his family looking on in the lame duck session. The Senate held up his confirmation process for the better part of two years.

Ebola Czar Ron Swain did such a good job of controlling Ebola in this country that he was able to retire after only six weeks on the job.
  #24  
Old 02-09-2015, 11:45 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
How would Dr Carson suggest we screen illegal immigrants for measles? Is he aware that Measles is not a problem in Central America? In fact as he should know, measles is much more likely to be imported from Asia and Europe. So the fact if your representation is true that Dr Carson chose to mention illegal immigration and measles in the same sentence is not courage but wrong on the facts. I cannot find Carson's words and perhaps you can post a link. The only thing I find is that he said this is not a political issue. If it is not then why did he feel the need to mention immigration, a highly political flashpoint, in his discussion of vaccines?
Do you have a resource that backs up the statement, "Is he aware that Measles is not a problem in Central America? In fact as he should know, measles is much more likely to be imported from Asia and Europe."?

Why did he feel the need to bring up screening immigrants? Perhaps because he is a doctor and is familiar with report from the CDC? Read one for yourself - the FAQs page has lots of links to measles related info.
  #25  
Old 02-10-2015, 09:50 AM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Do you have a resource that backs up the statement, "Is he aware that Measles is not a problem in Central America? In fact as he should know, measles is much more likely to be imported from Asia and Europe."?

Why did he feel the need to bring up screening immigrants? Perhaps because he is a doctor and is familiar with report from the CDC? Read one for yourself - the FAQs page has lots of links to measles related info.
Perhaps your question deserves an answer. While you apparently on the CDC website you should have seen it. When I point it out to you will you admit it makes Dr Carson either look uninformed that he did not know this fact (which I did without looking it up) or if he did know it makes him a demagogue for dragging the issue of people crossing our border into the issue.


"As a result of high vaccination coverage and better measles control in the Americas, in 2000, measles was declared eliminated (no disease transmission for at least 12 months) in the United States. Indigenous measles virus circulation was interrupted in 2002 in the rest of the Western Hemisphere...The largest percentage of importations (46%) was among people who acquired the disease in Europe. However, importations consistently occur from other countries and regions, including India and the Philippines"

Note where it clearly says the Western Hemisphere which includes of course Latin America has been clear for 12 years.
Measles (Rubeola) - Chapter 3 - 2014 Yellow Book | Travelers' Health | CDC

Read the paragraph on epidemiology. Note very clearly
  #26  
Old 02-10-2015, 11:52 AM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Perhaps your question deserves an answer. While you apparently on the CDC website you should have seen it. When I point it out to you will you admit it makes Dr Carson either look uninformed that he did not know this fact (which I did without looking it up) or if he did know it makes him a demagogue for dragging the issue of people crossing our border into the issue.


"As a result of high vaccination coverage and better measles control in the Americas, in 2000, measles was declared eliminated (no disease transmission for at least 12 months) in the United States. Indigenous measles virus circulation was interrupted in 2002 in the rest of the Western Hemisphere...The largest percentage of importations (46%) was among people who acquired the disease in Europe. However, importations consistently occur from other countries and regions, including India and the Philippines"

Note where it clearly says the Western Hemisphere which includes of course Latin America has been clear for 12 years.
Measles (Rubeola) - Chapter 3 - 2014 Yellow Book | Travelers' Health | CDC

Read the paragraph on epidemiology. Note very clearly

Of course I noted the link you provided. And I noted that the CDC info, unfortunately, does not significantly document material post 2011/2012 - much before the recent influx of the undocumented who have been crossing our borders. Nor have I found any resource to indicate that *only* Central Americans have been crossing those borders. Here is an article that tends to bring the issue closer to current day: Public Schools Face Health Threat from Illegal Aliens

Looks like we will have to wait a bunch more years for a non-hysterical evaluation of the diseases that have been introduced/re-introduced in the U.S. by this recent influx of undocumenteds.
  #27  
Old 02-10-2015, 12:47 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

In post 16 above, perhaps posted by guest, a link is included titled

Quote:
"Now Ben Carson is blaming measles on undocumented people"
and guest amplified that headline by adding that Dr Carson would be familiar with reports on measles from the CDC.

Quote:
Why did he feel the need to bring up screening immigrants? Perhaps because he is a doctor and is familiar with report from the CDC? Read one for yourself - the FAQs page has lots of links to measles related info.
So now when it is clearly shown that the most recent data from the CDC very clearly to anyone who "is familiar with reports from the CDC" directly contravenes what Dr Carson suggested the response on this forum is to say but but someone else is worried about it too. Why can't you just say your argument about Dr Carson being justified in making a connection between the measles outbreak and bringing undocumented people because of what the CDC says is wrong. The CDC says Dr Carson is wrong about measles and undocumented immigration.
  #28  
Old 02-10-2015, 09:41 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Someone ask a teacher or public school administrator does a child have to been vaccinated against measles to be admitted to a public school? My wife says "yes" (retired teacher). The implication is that regardless of documentation a child could be refused admission to school for lack of proper immunization.
  #29  
Old 02-10-2015, 10:40 PM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
In post 16 above, perhaps posted by guest, a link is included titled



and guest amplified that headline by adding that Dr Carson would be familiar with reports on measles from the CDC.



So now when it is clearly shown that the most recent data from the CDC very clearly to anyone who "is familiar with reports from the CDC" directly contravenes what Dr Carson suggested the response on this forum is to say but but someone else is worried about it too. Why can't you just say your argument about Dr Carson being justified in making a connection between the measles outbreak and bringing undocumented people because of what the CDC says is wrong. The CDC says Dr Carson is wrong about measles and undocumented immigration.

The most recent data from the CDC stops with data from 2011 and 2012. The immigration border blitz did not get hot and heavy until after the CDC data was reported. Seems that the CDC just might not 'contravene' Dr. Carson if he is addressing the latest border breach.
  #30  
Old 02-11-2015, 08:00 AM
Guest
n/a
 
Posts: n/a
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
The most recent data from the CDC stops with data from 2011 and 2012. The immigration border blitz did not get hot and heavy until after the CDC data was reported. Seems that the CDC just might not 'contravene' Dr. Carson if he is addressing the latest border breach.

So what data is Dr. Carson using, if the data is from 2011 and 2012?
 

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 AM.