Old 07-08-2010, 01:56 PM
n/a

Default What ever happened to

DJPLONG & Waynet

They just seem to have vanished?

Yoda
Old 07-08-2010, 02:40 PM
n/a

I watched Beck's Founders' Friday show on Women of the American Revolution. I had never heard of Deborah Sampson. The female patriot who enlisted and dressed like a man to fight for freedom in the Revolutionary War. Did you see that part of the show? Amazing. Think about that. 1782. A woman who dressed like a man, bound her chest tightly, and treated a battle wound herself, in the military in 1782. She actually received a military pension. I looked up other information about her after the show. She is a hero. Why didn't we learn that in school?
Old 07-08-2010, 06:18 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkcunningham1 View Post
I watched Beck's Founders' Friday show on Women of the American Revolution. I had never heard of Deborah Sampson. The female patriot who enlisted and dressed like a man to fight for freedom in the Revolutionary War. Did you see that part of the show? Amazing. Think about that. 1782. A woman who dressed like a man, bound her chest tightly, and treated a battle wound herself, in the military in 1782. She actually received a military pension. I looked up other information about her after the show. She is a hero. Why didn't we learn that in school?
They don't seem to teach about real hero's any more.

Yoda
Old 07-08-2010, 06:48 PM
n/a

I was blessed growing up in Virginia. The home of the most US Presidents. When I was in elementary school, we were taught Virginia history. Which involved the Jamestown settlements, Williamsburg, and all the way through the Revolutionary War. We had field trips to all the battlefields around Petersburg , Appomattox and Richmond and to the homes of the Presidents.

I have friends back home who are proud members of the Daughters of the American Revolution. The county where I was born was home to an Indian buriel ground and winter hunting grounds. When I was in sixth grade, we went on field trips to watch the archeological digs. I had great teachers. In Junior High, I had a teacher who was a Civil War buff. Many battles were fought in my home state and surrounding region. From Indian battles and Revolutionary War battles to Civil War battles to the great Cumberland Gap.

In all fairness to my teachers, I suppose there is only so much time in a day and so much time in a school year to teach. That is what makes a show like the Founders' Friday so special to me. I love to learn. I wish others would watch.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:26 PM
n/a

Yes, I did vanish. Job-related upheavals have had me working on more important things. Now I'm trying to clean out the remaining crap in my house so that I'll be ready to have my fiancee move in after she magically turns into my wife on August 1.

I'm sorry that I got sidetracked - the Beck shows are still on my DVR and I'm just now having some time. I'm going to try and watch them with a notebook in my hand to hit the salient points when I post.

Mind you, the new job starts next Monday and I still have paperwork to file, daughters who still need things (one who needs me to be a taxi) rooms to clean and SOMEwhere in there I'd like some private time with my fiancee (just got the rings a coupledays ago)...

I'm living under that old Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times".
Old 07-12-2010, 01:49 PM
n/a

I would just like to hijack this thread for one minute. Congratulations djplong. I wish you and your soon-to-be bride many years of wedded bliss. All the best to your new family and your job.

May your mornings bring joy and your evenings bring peace.
May your troubles grow few as your blessings increase.
May the saddest day of your future
Be no worse than the happiest day of your past.
May your hands be forever clasped in friendship
And your hearts joined forever in love.

Sincerely, bk
Old 07-15-2010, 11:42 PM
n/a

Quote:
I was blessed growing up in Virginia. The home of the most US Presidents. When I was in elementary school, we were taught Virginia history. Which involved the Jamestown settlements, Williamsburg, and all the way through the Revolutionary War. We had field trips to all the battlefields around Petersburg , Appomattox and Richmond and to the homes of the Presidents.

I have friends back home who are proud members of the Daughters of the American Revolution. The county where I was born was home to an Indian buriel ground and winter hunting grounds. When I was in sixth grade, we went on field trips to watch the archeological digs. I had great teachers. In Junior High, I had a teacher who was a Civil War buff. Many battles were fought in my home state and surrounding region. From Indian battles and Revolutionary War battles to Civil War battles to the great Cumberland Gap.

In all fairness to my teachers, I suppose there is only so much time in a day and so much time in a school year to teach. That is what makes a show like the Founders' Friday so special to me. I love to learn. I wish others would watch.
I too am a Virginia native. One could not attend school in this great state (at least when I was a child) and not have respect for the contributions Virginia made to the founding of our nation. From 4th grade on...we were taught Virginia history as well as US history. I remember having to know all the Presidents and Vice-Presidents and the years they were in office.

I love the Founders' Friday shows on Glen Beck and for anyone who finds this thread interesting...... you could learn so much more by watching his show ....Monday through Friday!
Old 07-16-2010, 04:39 PM
n/a

bk: Thank you for the kind words. I've hardly had the time to watch ANYthing in the two weeks I'm having between the end of my contract and the start of the new job. Working around this house, renting a dumpster for all the big stuff and all the heat up here has me feeling like I need a shower every hour. Susie and I had the audacity to think that we would be able to take an overnight road trip with all the 'free time' I would have in this period.

What kind of fools were we???
Old 07-16-2010, 07:29 PM
n/a

Quote:
I would just like to hijack this thread for one minute. Congratulations djplong. I wish you and your soon-to-be bride many years of wedded bliss. All the best to your new family and your job.

May your mornings bring joy and your evenings bring peace.
May your troubles grow few as your blessings increase.
May the saddest day of your future
Be no worse than the happiest day of your past.
May your hands be forever clasped in friendship
And your hearts joined forever in love.

Sincerely, bk
ditto

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.