Drought Drought - Page 4 - Talk of The Villages Florida

Drought

 
Thread Tools
 
Old 09-05-2026, 04:51 AM
FredMitchell FredMitchell is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Aug 2023
Posts: 361
Thanks: 64
Thanked 257 Times in 130 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Is there a good weather station in or around the Villages ? Orlando weather stations don't do us justice.
There is no single official municipal or National Weather Service (NWS) weather station located inside The Villages. Official regional observations for the area are typically pulled from nearby airport stations, primarily Leesburg International Airport (KLEE).

However, there are dozens to hundreds of active Personal Weather Stations (PWS) operated by residents and community facilities across The Villages:

Weather Underground (Wunderground): Typically has 40 to 80+ actively reporting stations across the community at any given time. Station IDs in the area (using the KFLTHEVI prefix) number well into the 700s, reflecting hundreds of registered setups over time.

Ambient Weather Network & PWSweather: Host several dozen additional independent resident stations spread from Marion County in the north down through Eastport and south of SR 44.

CoCoRaHS (Community Collaborative Rain, Hail & Snow Network): Includes dozens of volunteer manual rain gauges reporting daily precipitation across Sumter, Marion, and Lake County portions of the community.

You can view real-time data and maps for these neighborhood-level stations directly on the Weather Underground Wundermap or PWSweather.
 
Old 09-05-2026, 12:15 PM
DonnaNi4os DonnaNi4os is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 738
Thanks: 244
Thanked 382 Times in 238 Posts
Default

Leesburg, at least a portion of it, is in TV. I have a rain gauge here in Marion County portion of TV but haven’t kept a log. I will have to do that next year. Since we had no hurricanes in FL
last year and none so far this year we are in a water deficit. Hurricanes account for a large amount of water throughout FL. I’m not wishing for one but I believe that is a huge reason for the draught.
 
Old 09-05-2026, 12:19 PM
biker1 biker1 is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 4,218
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1,506 Times in 889 Posts
Default

Tropical storms account for 10-15% of precip across Florida. While I would not call that a large amount, it is certainly significant and clearly a component of our current drought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnaNi4os View Post
Leesburg, at least a portion of it, is in TV. I have a rain gauge here in Marion County portion of TV but haven’t kept a log. I will have to do that next year. Since we had no hurricanes in FL
last year and none so far this year we are in a water deficit. Hurricanes account for a large amount of water throughout FL. I’m not wishing for one but I believe that is a huge reason for the draught.
 

Tags
drought, rain, good, preserve, fence
Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31 AM.