Florida summers... compared to the northern winters

Old 03-20-2024, 07:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,411 Times in 4,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
But the value is corrupted. We have friends who live full-time in Florida and they all say the summer heat in murder. At least when it is cold, people can go out during the daytime and don't have to stay housebound. I'm only suggesting the OP consider the downside of full-time Florida living when he could alter his schedule to have it all.
The heat may be murder to your friends, but for millions of others, it not an issue...

Yes, it's hot and humid in the summer. Just like it's hot and humid in the DC suburbs where I lived for the majority of my life...

The trick is to get out early, chill inside (or at the pool) mid-day, and then venture out again when it starts to cool off in the evenings...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-20-2024, 07:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,411 Times in 4,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
Not a direct comparison but just summer in FL information. We have lived here year-round for several years. My wife hates the heat but loves the lifestyle.

In the summer we play golf, pickleball, softball, or do any outside activities in the morning. Usually between about 7 and 10 AM. Then we spend most of the day inside in the AC. I usually go to the pool but she doesn't. Trips in the car or cart to go shopping or whatever are easily done.

We venture back outside for other outdoor activities around 5 or 6 PM. I often play 9 holes of golf in late afternoon but she does not. The late afternoon heat does not bother me.

Hope this helps
Exactly! I wish I had said that (before reading your post...)

-Tom Petty
Old 03-20-2024, 07:57 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
The heat may be murder to your friends, but for millions of others, it not an issue...

Yes, it's hot and humid in the summer. Just like it's hot and humid in the DC suburbs where I lived for the majority of my life...

The trick is to get out early, chill inside (or at the pool) mid-day, and then venture out again when it starts to cool off in the evenings...
That doesn’t sound like living....sounds like surviving. If you choose that kind of summer, to each his own. The difference is the Mid Atlantic states and New England just as an example, those regions the temps and humidity are variable. You can go out any time of the day...less a couple heatwaves on average. You honestly cannot say that about FL
Old 03-20-2024, 07:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,066 Times in 2,542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. C. Rider View Post
It actually gets hotter in many parts of the mid-west and upper mid-west during summer than it does here in Florida. Yes, we'll get temps of 93* or so on a pretty regular basis during the summer, but temps above 95* or 96* are rare while in the mid-west, they often hit 97* or hotter several times during a typical summer.

Edit to add: A person quickly learns to do their outside summer activities in Florida in early morning when the temps are upper 70's or mid-morning when they are mid 80's. Don't wait til afternoon to start your pickleball or tennis game.
But in central Florida you have the humidity and angle of sun. IMO angle of sun feels hotter on my back, neck, side of my face. Although rarely get over 95 to 98 the humidity easily added 10 degrees to that on some of though days. Every 85 can seem hot down here for me.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:22 PM

Quote:
I think perhaps your reading comprehension is off.

I was responding to another poster regarding not be able to get out of the house for three days if it snowed. May be if you lived in the middle of 100 acres and had a very long driveway, there was a problem once or twice a winter if a storm that severe actually occurred. And no, there aren't millions of people living in Michigan on bad roads three days after a snow storm.

If you noticed, the OP said he didn't mind snow, he didn't like the dreariness of winter and I don't know if he realizes the days shorten in Florida too during the winter. He was questioning how tolerable the Florida heat was in the summer.
Again, you think wrong. My comprehension is perfect.

I never said millions in Michigan. I said rural.
Having 100 acres or 1 acre has nothing to do with being stuck on a county road which does not get cleared for days.

Please try to comprehend. The OP was asking for a comparison. Different people are giving different comparisons.

I see many other posters agreeing with my on your comprehension.

Someone said read and add value. I would say: Read, Comprehend, Add Value.

Hope you have a nice day.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:25 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,932 Times in 3,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB444 View Post
Sounds like he was asking for our opinions...
Not sure what all the card guy issue is, but he doesn't seem to understand.

Old 03-20-2024, 08:27 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,932 Times in 3,723 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB444 View Post
With all due respect, you haven't a clue of what you are talking about.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:49 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,808 Times in 742 Posts

Quote:

I totally agree with your assessment that many of Floridians can tolerate the heat and don’t mind living indoors during the prime part of the day. But many don’t and the gentleman from the beautiful state of Michigan won’t know until he has spent a couple of summers here renting, as I suggested.

Summers in Florida and Michigan are not comparable. That dishonest representation doesn’t add “value” to the OP’s decision. Maybe he will love the scorching heat like many do. Then he should sell his northern home and make the move.

There is something for everyone but living full time in Florida isn’t mandatory for happiness.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Not sure what all the card guy issue is, but he doesn't seem to understand.

Not sure what this statement means…
Old 03-20-2024, 08:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,320 Times in 2,850 Posts

I’ll take a HHH summer day in Florida over a winter day up north seven days a week and twice on Sunday. I like the heat way more than cold and ice. Plus, we have a pool and A/C in Florida and often suffer from the heat during the summer up north without either. The only thing I hate about summers in Florida is the friggin lightning. Since I enjoy swimming (water is a great conductor of electricity) and golfing (being in an open area with a bag of lightning rods), the lightning can frequently put a damper on things. Plus, the Villages is a ghost town in the summer compared to the winter. Cheap golf and no crowds are very easy to get used to.
Old 03-20-2024, 08:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
TV is where costal FL comes when the hurricanes hit!
Are our friends lying when they tell us they are leaving TV when a hurricane warning is up? They stayed for one and they won’t do that again.

There may not be a direct hit but there can be flooding, loss of electricity and wind damage closing the rec centers, golf courses, restaurants and businesses.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:03 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I’ll take a HHH summer day in Florida over a winter day up north seven days a week and twice on Sunday. I like the heat way more than cold and ice. Plus, we have a pool and A/C in Florida and often suffer from the heat during the summer up north without either. The only thing I hate about summers in Florida is the friggin lightning. Since I enjoy swimming (water is a great conductor of electricity) and golfing (being in an open area with a bag of lightning rods), the lightning can frequently put a damper on things. Plus, the Villages is a ghost town in the summer compared to the winter. Cheap golf and no crowds are very easy to get used to.
Is there a shortage of AC and pools up north?!

You’re kind of proving the point with ‘TV is a ghost town in the summer’ ....where do you think all your neighbors retreated to? You’re clearly in the minority. It’s been stated by many posters across many threads that they no longer own homes up north so trying to convince yourself that a FL summer isn’t that bad kind of rings hollow
Old 03-20-2024, 09:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,320 Times in 2,850 Posts

Quote:

There can be flooding, loss of electricity and wind damage closing the rec centers, golf courses, restaurants and businesses.
Like when a nor’easter hits up north?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
Is there a shortage of AC and pools up north?!
Yup, neither at our house up north, but both at our house in the Villages. That constitutes a shortage in my book.
Old 03-20-2024, 09:27 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Like when a nor’easter hits up north?

Yup, neither at our house up north, but both at our house in the Villages. That constitutes a shortage in my book.
Well I’m glad you’re now whole sir!
Old 03-20-2024, 09:33 PM

I’m wondering why people are putting pools in their back yard? As long as I have a pool and AC why do I need to go back north, LOL

Tags
florida, summers, winters, northern, biggest

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.