Florida summers... compared to the northern winters

Old 03-21-2024, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I lived full time in Las Vegas for 5 straight years - The summer high reached 115+ on multiple occasions. Florida summers are way more tolerable than the Southwest. (IMO).
Not to derail this thread too much but I agree 100%.

Was in Phoenix (never been until then) in July '23 for son's baseball tournie. Concrete stadium heated up by 10am like a tandoori oven. Just radiated heat from below your feet. Many parents had to get back into their cars to turn the AC on. We were pouring water all over ourselves... looks less ridiculous than passing out.

Close second for killer heat would be Atlanta. Also July bball tournie. We had kids passing out in the dugout... kids from the south.

And I lived in south FL for 4 years so I understand heat index.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop63 View Post
For any of you who have lived through a few Florida summers, and northern winters (e.g. Michigan), how does it compare? Is it as grueling, do you get use to it, or make every attempt to escape north during the summer month?

This is my biggest concern moving to the TV. I have owned 2 properties in the past and not something I really want to do at this point in my life. I don't mind the snow, just the gray and lack of sun.
We have now experienced several Florida summer and I will still take the heat and humidity over the cold, gray mess of a northern winter. I am by nature an early riser so I can still get my round of golf (no trouble getting a tee time then) in, bike ride, dog walk, etc before the heat. Once the heat is on I head to the pool!

That long gray winter is history for me!
Old 03-21-2024, 04:54 AM

A lot of the snowbirds leave TV to go to places in the summer that have large outbreaks of tornadoes and very humid summers. The central part of the country as well as the upper states like Ohio and Michigan are very humid states. My summer visits to Cincinnati for work were every bit as humid as Florida summers. Same goes for Omaha, and flint Michigan. Terrible summer humidity.
I moved from the north over 24 years ago and have never regretted it for a minute. If I want to snow ski, I’ll rent a place for a week where I don’t have to drive and it has a nice fireplace.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:18 AM

I would take Florida all summer over a north cold winter hands down!! Everyone is different though. Anything below 50 and I’m miserable! I have no problem being active all through the summer down here. It’s my 8th year. Head to the beach, a pool, or go boating with a fabulous breeze! Chicago would go a month some years with zero sunshine. I cannot take that.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:19 AM
Veteran member

yes, it's hot and humid here during the summer. that's why air conditioning and pools were invented.
Old 03-21-2024, 05:37 AM
Veteran member

Summer is very tolerable and is the best time of the year. Northern winters are far worse!
Old 03-21-2024, 05:46 AM

Quote:
For any of you who have lived through a few Florida summers, and northern winters (e.g. Michigan), how does it compare? Is it as grueling, do you get use to it, or make every attempt to escape north during the summer month?

This is my biggest concern moving to the TV. I have owned 2 properties in the past and not something I really want to do at this point in my life. I don't mind the snow, just the gray and lack of sun.
This will be my 50th summer in Florida after 26 years of summers and winters in northern Ohio. Love the summers in Florida!
Old 03-21-2024, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Then you must leave town during the hurricane hits. We have never been housebound for three days because of snow. This is the year of 2024, not 1950 anymore.
We have survived 11 hurricanes that either came over the top of us or was a cloe sideswipe. Only once did we evacuate and that was when we lived in Virigina Beach. We are in a hurricane prone state, but our area is probably one of the safer areas since we are 40-60 miles inland depending on which way the hurricane travels.

You are welcome to evacuate but we are smart people who are prepared for a hurricane contingency.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:03 AM

Winters in the North aren't like when we were kids. Towns have the equipment to deal with snow, and the following day or even the same day the streets are cleared. Only 2 snowstorms in the Northeast this year. You'll get sick of the very hot constant daily sun, the incredible humidity that last for 7-8 months, and the bugs that come with that.
That'll keep you in the house because that drains you physically.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
But the value is corrupted. We have friends who live full-time in Florida and they all say the summer heat in murder. At least when it is cold, people can go out during the daytime and don't have to stay housebound. I'm only suggesting the OP consider the downside of full-time Florida living when he could alter his schedule to have it all.
The summers here are hot and humid, but I prefer that weather to no sun and the endless gray days of Michigan. I was here through Irma and was not trapped in my house. I chose not to go out, but I wasn’t forced to stay in.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:15 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,879 Times in 794 Posts

Quote:

Among the places I’ve lived is Virginia, near Washington, couple hours west of Philadelphia, Lincoln, Nebraska, Southern California, Northern California, and Denver.

Washington, Philadelphia, and Lincoln are all very hot and humid in the summer—not much different from The Villages. Southern California is too hot in the summer but not humid. Northern California is bearable all year where I lived (the mountains near Napa Valley). Denver is very dry, which makes it hard to breathe through my nose. To get to delightful summer areas, to my taste, in much of the country that means where you live—Michigan—maybe, or New England, upstate New York, etc.

Lincoln is often bitterly cold in the winter, though many areas are worse. The Philadelphia and Eastern Virginia areas aren’t really “grueling” as winters go, though it can be chilly, and sometimes there’s a lot of snow to shovel. I lived in the country half my life in Eastern Pennsylvania, and I usually enjoyed the winters. I seldom needed a heavy coat.

In The Villages I do the same thing I did in Pennsylvania in the summer: when it was hot and humid, I stayed inside. I live in The Villages year round now, in a courtyard villa with an excellent HVAC system. It’s on all the time. I rarely open windows and doors. 24/7, either the AC or the heat is on. Yesterday’s electric bill was $80, but that includes charging my car in the garage. In mid-summer, electricity might be $100 or maybe even $120 at the worst. That’s about half what it cost me for electricity and propane in Pennsylvania.

In Pennsylvania, I found it too hot and humid to go out much in the summer. Same in The Villages. In both places, I stayed in air-conditioned comfort all day. So what’s the difference? In the evenings, in the summer, it’s quite delightful here. Because of the humidity, the air smells really good here. (In Denver, it’s so dry that nice smells don’t carry very well.) I live just north of 466A and not near a lake, so I’ve never seen a mosquito near my house. (If you buy a new house down south, bear in mind that mosquitoes breed in the swamps down there and will come to visit you.) Also, in the summer here, it rains or at least there are thunderclouds at least every other day. That cools things down and is fun to watch—great sunrises and sunsets.

Where The Villages shines, of course, is in the winter months. Yes, we usually get a couple frosts in the winter, but the most I bundle up is a fleece vest or a sport coat. It really is nice.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:17 AM

Back in my Army days, I was out in the field (Alps) one time when it was 32 below zero not counting wind chill. Still better than some of the hottest summer days around here. I've also been in the field (desert) when it was way above 100 in full MOPP gear and that was worse than Florida. My experience is you can always put more clothes on but there is a limit to how few you can wear (at least in Florida).
Old 03-21-2024, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
What northern winter?!
It’s honestly what you’re used to or can become accustomed to. We purposefully rented a house in The Villages during the hottest part of the summer to see how it felt. We live in Houston. It felt cooler in the The Villages. Everything is relative.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Summers are hot most every day sea breezes come in clouds form usually a brief shower , not like the a sweltering desert breezes usually come midday.
Old 03-21-2024, 06:59 AM
Default Midwest Summer vs Florida summer

I'm not sure which "north" you are talking about, but summer in the midwest (Ohio, Indiana, Illinois), is oppressive humidity and heat. That's one of the many reasons corn and soy bean grow so well there in the summer and they, oddly enough, contribute to the humidity.

In July and August there are many times that it is hotter and more humid there than here which amazes my friends that still live there. So, my spouse and I are out and about all summer long here totally enjoying the lack of crowds, yes, and still sweating, but there are swimming pools and showers that help with that. We love it.

Quote:

Last edited by cphague; 03-21-2024 at 07:07 AM.

Tags
florida, summers, winters, northern, biggest

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.