Hurricane Nicole never hit Florida

Closed Thread
Old 11-17-2022, 08:07 AM
Send a message via AIM to Nordhagen
Default Weather Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sounding View Post
What's to debate? There's no debate -- but there are consequences -- depending on which groups you hang out with. Just Google "landfalling hurricanes" (with quotes) and you get 30,000 hits. Landfalling hurricanes are one of many trigger-points for children who throw paint on artwork and stand in the middle of roads to stop traffic and stand on blocks of ice on makeshift gallows to protest a non-problem -- called global warming. So now, officially, there is one more landfall hurricane -- but it is another in a long list of junk-science statistics -- Nicole did not hit Florida as a hurricane. In fact, there are many who don't even think Nicole ever attained hurricane strength to begin with -- because there is no validated supporting evidence -- unless you can find some. People and offices and media can say anything -- but when you ask them to provide supporting data, they change the subject, or call you a denier. And this is why the Weather Club keeps growing in size because they want to see the "data," so can see for themselves what is going on. You don't need to be a scientist to read temperature and wind data.
Just follow the money.
Old 11-17-2022, 08:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
If you start from 2018 and include 2022 data there is a slight warming trend.

If you start at any year from 2010 to 2014 there is a significant warming trend. (I got tired of checking after that)
The current slight longer-term warming trend is because we are still thawing out from the Little Ice Age. But why is there a slight 7-year cooling trend (going on 8) now?
Old 11-17-2022, 08:25 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,016 Times in 773 Posts

Nothing to see here said the man behind the curtain, if you put a frog in a pot of boiling water it will instantly leap out. But if you put it in a pot filled with pleasantly tepid water and gradually heat it, the frog will remain in the water until it boils to death.
Similar to global climate change
Old 11-17-2022, 08:26 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Here is a graph of global surface (NOAA) temperature and satellite (UAH) temperature -- as compared to CO2. When you draw a linear trend line, the surface and satellite temperature shows slight cooling. Year 2022 continues the linear trend downward.
Anyone with a modicum of skills can make a graph, what is the origin/source of this one? Since the difference between a hurricane and a tropical storm boils down to a negligible 1mph, of which the unfortunate people who had their property destroyed don't really care, what is the real reason for this thread?

Last edited by tvbound; 11-17-2022 at 08:32 AM.
Old 11-17-2022, 08:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbound View Post
Anyone with a modicum of skills can make a graph, what is the origin/source of this one? Since the difference between a hurricane and a tropical storm boils down to a negligible 1mph, of which the unfortunate people who had their property destroyed don't really care, what is the real reason for this thread?
It's not the who -- it's the data.

The UAH satellite data is here ... https://www.nsstc.uah.edu/data/msu/v...cdc_lt_6.0.txt

The NOAA surface data is here ... Global Time Series | Climate at a Glance | National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)
Old 11-17-2022, 08:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Nothingcane Nicole is only the beginning of the meeting, because it is current events. All weather club meetings start with current events -- which is what many are interested in. After Nicole is a discussion of EPA's failure to use government weather data when creating their Endangerment Finding -- which is the legal basis of the Green New Deal. It's a minor issue, but important to some.
That sounds political to me. More conspiracy theories. Thanks, but no thanks. If I want to listen to conspiracy theories I'll watch Fox News.
Old 11-17-2022, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,542 Times in 2,139 Posts

Quote:
The current slight longer-term warming trend is because we are still thawing out from the Little Ice Age. But why is there a slight 7-year cooling trend (going on 8) now?
Confirmation bias - you chose the small window that confirmed what you were looking for.

Remove the influence of a particularly warm 2016 and your 7-year cooling trend turns into 7-year (going on 8) warming trend.

We have a one-day trend of significant cooling - should I plan for snow on Thanksgiving? On the other hand, the temperature trend from September until yesterday shows significant warming and suggests a very hot December. Perhaps the timeline for a "trend" needs to be a tad bit longer.

I am suspicious of why you still don't understand this.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-17-2022, 09:14 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,016 Times in 773 Posts

Quote:
It's not the who -- it's the data.

The UAH satellite data is here ... https://www.nsstc.uah.edu/data/msu/v...cdc_lt_6.0.txt

The NOAA surface data is here ... Global Time Series | Climate at a Glance | National Centers for Environmental Information (NCEI)
I’ll take the NASA for $500 john
Old 11-17-2022, 09:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love2Swim View Post
That sounds political to me. More conspiracy theories. Thanks, but no thanks. If I want to listen to conspiracy theories I'll watch Fox News.
How is weather data political? Science is not political -- unless you are talking about political science -- but that's not science either. The Weather Club examines claims using government generated data. If you don't like the data, complain to the government -- not the Weather Club.
Old 11-17-2022, 09:20 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
I’ll take the NASA for $500 john
NASA alters data like NOAA does. They say it's for a good cause -- but you decide ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Rc301T-hY
Old 11-17-2022, 09:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
... The Weather Club examines claims using government generated data. If you don't like the data, complain to the government -- not the Weather Club.
Quote:
NASA alters data like NOAA does. They say it's for a good cause -- but you decide ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_Rc301T-hY
So the Weather Club examines claims using government generated data then disputes the data when it doesn't lead to the desired conclusion.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-17-2022, 09:45 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
So the Weather Club examines claims using government generated data then disputes the data when it doesn't lead to the desired conclusion.
Again, twisting my words does not work. I did not dispute what NOAA and NASA do, I only inform people what is happening. At the Weather Club we actually use the "altered" data during the data comparisons -- we don't dismiss it. Note that only the "surface" temperature data is altered -- but not the satellite data -- at least not yet. But as for all the other forms of data, sea ice, winds, glaciers, volcanoes, and solar and oceanic cycles -- there is no altering as far as I know. Bottom line -- all available government data is used -- altered or not. It's really quite amazing to see what the media will not show you.
Old 11-17-2022, 10:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Again, twisting my words does not work. I did not dispute what NOAA and NASA do, I only inform people what is happening. At the Weather Club we actually use the "altered" data during the data comparisons -- we don't dismiss it. Note that only the "surface" temperature data is altered -- but not the satellite data -- at least not yet. But as for all the other forms of data, sea ice, winds, glaciers, volcanoes, and solar and oceanic cycles -- there is no altering as far as I know. Bottom line -- all available government data is used -- altered or not. It's really quite amazing to see what the media will not show you.
Did not twist your words at all - I quoted them exactly as you wrote them.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-17-2022, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,771 Times in 1,564 Posts

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance—but what is the purpose of the weather club? Activity clubs (poetry, chess, writing, astronomy, etc. etc.) I can understand. But what does the weather club do?

Even more precisely, what does it accomplish?
Old 11-17-2022, 10:41 AM

Quote:
This will be the opening discussion at Thursday's (Nov 17) Weather Club meeting at 1:30 PM at Laurel Manor. There is no data showing hurricane force winds came with Nicole -- only tropical storm force winds. This is why The Weather Channel stopped reporting winds as Nicole hit the coast.
Are you sure of your conclusion. The wind speed estimate at landfall may have been a best professional judgement (BPJ) based on several data sources. Sometimes a human makes the call. Hopefully the meeting includes representatives of the decision making/reporting meteorology staff. They can explain the basis for the news release.
Closed Thread

Tags
nicole, winds, force, weather, hurricane

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.