Some Like It HOT? Some Like It HOT? - Page 3 - Talk of The Villages Florida

Some Like It HOT?

Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 08-21-2026, 10:24 AM
Battlebasset Battlebasset is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Jan 2021
Posts: 662
Thanks: 240
Thanked 809 Times in 320 Posts
Default

Grew up in the midwest, and worked both there and on the east coast before I retired. A few years living outside of the country as well.

All places had all four seasons. The midwest could be brutally cold, and sticky and hot in the summer. Only late spring and early fall did we have what could be considered "ideal weather".

So now it's Florida, with wonderful winters and brutal summers. But here's the difference:

- I don't slip on sunshine
- It doesn't freeze my pipes
- I don't have to move it off my driveway or car. It doesn't put my car in the ditch.
- It doesn't strand me in the house for days. I can go out everyday almost in the early morning and later evening.
- No need to buy heavy coats or snowboots

So when you add it up, Florida wins. And don't forget. The song goes "Summertime and the living is easy". No one says that about wintertime.
  #32  
Old 08-21-2026, 10:43 AM
Michael G. Michael G. is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 3,048
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,891 Times in 1,176 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlebasset View Post
Grew up in the midwest, and worked both there and on the east coast before I retired. A few years living outside of the country as well.

All places had all four seasons. The midwest could be brutally cold, and sticky and hot in the summer. Only late spring and early fall did we have what could be considered "ideal weather".

So now it's Florida, with wonderful winters and brutal summers. But here's the difference:

- I don't slip on sunshine
- It doesn't freeze my pipes
- I don't have to move it off my driveway or car. It doesn't put my car in the ditch.
- It doesn't strand me in the house for days. I can go out everyday almost in the early morning and later evening.
- No need to buy heavy coats or snowboots

So when you add it up, Florida wins. And don't forget. The song goes "Summertime and the living is easy". No one says that about wintertime.
Well said.
  #33  
Old 08-21-2026, 12:26 PM
Aces4 Aces4 is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 3,350
Thanks: 1,242
Thanked 3,114 Times in 1,406 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battlebasset View Post
Grew up in the midwest, and worked both there and on the east coast before I retired. A few years living outside of the country as well.

All places had all four seasons. The midwest could be brutally cold, and sticky and hot in the summer. Only late spring and early fall did we have what could be considered "ideal weather".

So now it's Florida, with wonderful winters and brutal summers. But here's the difference:

- I don't slip on sunshine
- It doesn't freeze my pipes
- I don't have to move it off my driveway or car. It doesn't put my car in the ditch.
- It doesn't strand me in the house for days. I can go out everyday almost in the early morning and later evening.
- No need to buy heavy coats or snowboots

So when you add it up, Florida wins. And don't forget. The song goes "Summertime and the living is easy". No one says that about wintertime.
I'm guessing you lived in the midwest in the 1950's. There is ice melt a plenty for the walks, pipes never freeze unless one has a poorly built home, snow removal equipment makes the job much simpler and hired services have no problem. (No different than hiring lawn mowers here..) Never get stranded in the house for days, why would that be? Can go outside everyday in deep winter at any time unless there would happen to be an occasional heavy snow storm but there are no days wiped out by hurricane predictions. If it's a very cold day less time is spent outdoors but there are places to go to and entertainment available. Seldom need to wear snowboots but wearing a nice coat and boots beats sweaty shoes/sandals, sunscreen daily, big hats to protect face and head on the golf course daily. Other states dislike the plethora of bugs including mole crickets, roaches, termites requiring pest control and then there are alligators, armadillos and a lovely hoard of less than desirable species here. The point of all this is enjoy where you live and embrace what makes it magical for you. It's not necessary to constantly pan other areas of the states because it's a misfit for you.
  #34  
Old 08-21-2026, 12:31 PM
Topspinmo's Avatar
Topspinmo Topspinmo is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow
Posts: 18,020
Thanks: 9,199
Thanked 7,523 Times in 4,000 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
Just heard on the radio that yesterday was the 100th day of temperature over 90 this year. So far.

Yikes. Unsure if this is above average for a “normal year”, but yikes. Personally I’ve had enough.

Seems that I have spent more time inside than before. When I’m outside for a while I feel like the wicked witch melting on Wizard of Oz.
I been here since 14 and every summer been in 90’s with days in upper 90s. The heat, angle of sun, and humidity finely took its toll at my older age. I refrain from being out in sun from 10 to 4PM, other wise I fry like dead armadillo on hot Texas highway…
  #35  
Old 08-21-2026, 03:09 PM
UpNorth UpNorth is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sometimes here, sometimes there
Posts: 1,136
Thanks: 142
Thanked 970 Times in 368 Posts
Default

If I had a choice, I would be spending about 8 months up here in CT and 4 in FL. Unfortunately, the state tax man would likely take notice if I stayed here more than 6 months.
  #36  
Old 08-21-2026, 03:10 PM
MorTech MorTech is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 2,081
Thanks: 0
Thanked 716 Times in 450 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
It would be nice to find a single location that would make me happy year round. Unfortunately, I haven't found one yet. That's why I'm a snowbird.
San Diego.
Algarve.
  #37  
Old 08-21-2026, 03:16 PM
Pugchief's Avatar
Pugchief Pugchief is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Mar 2023
Posts: 2,018
Thanks: 154
Thanked 2,431 Times in 1,004 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
Algarve
Do they have golf and pickleball in Algarve?
If not, it's far from perfect.
  #38  
Old 08-22-2026, 10:05 AM
Rwirish Rwirish is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,157
Thanks: 5
Thanked 1,084 Times in 504 Posts
Default

The temperatures have been near perfect. What a great summer!
  #39  
Old 08-22-2026, 04:41 PM
Michael G. Michael G. is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 3,048
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2,891 Times in 1,176 Posts
Default

Below is a copy of a prediction of Florida by the year 2030.
Grap your sunscreen boys and girls.

Florida's heat problem is less about record highs and more about relentlessness. The state's flat terrain, dense humidity, and surrounding warm water mean the heat index, not just the raw temperature, tends to dominate daily life.

Florida tops the list of states expected to see the largest increase in days with a heat index over 100 degrees. Researchers modeling future conditions put a number on just how extreme that shift could get.

Florida could experience up to 50 more days over 95°F per year under a 2°C warming scenario, a stark contrast to the Northeast, which may only see an increase of 5 to 15 such days. Risk assessments consistently rank Florida cities among the most heat exposed in the country, and that ranking is expected to hold or worsen through the coming decades as coastal humidity compounds the raw
  #40  
Old 08-23-2026, 09:28 AM
jimjamuser jimjamuser is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 10,841
Thanks: 7,733
Thanked 2,498 Times in 2,026 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Below is a copy of a prediction of Florida by the year 2030.
Grap your sunscreen boys and girls.

Florida's heat problem is less about record highs and more about relentlessness. The state's flat terrain, dense humidity, and surrounding warm water mean the heat index, not just the raw temperature, tends to dominate daily life.

Florida tops the list of states expected to see the largest increase in days with a heat index over 100 degrees. Researchers modeling future conditions put a number on just how extreme that shift could get.

Florida could experience up to 50 more days over 95°F per year under a 2°C warming scenario, a stark contrast to the Northeast, which may only see an increase of 5 to 15 such days. Risk assessments consistently rank Florida cities among the most heat exposed in the country, and that ranking is expected to hold or worsen through the coming decades as coastal humidity compounds the raw
Great post. Exactly what I have been saying, just better worded.
  #41  
Old 08-23-2026, 11:59 AM
Pugchief's Avatar
Pugchief Pugchief is offline
Gold Member
Join Date: Mar 2023
Posts: 2,018
Thanks: 154
Thanked 2,431 Times in 1,004 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
Great post. Exactly what I have been saying, just better worded.
And yet you're still here....
  #42  
Old 08-23-2026, 01:45 PM
jimjamuser jimjamuser is offline
Diamond Member
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 10,841
Thanks: 7,733
Thanked 2,498 Times in 2,026 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugchief View Post
And yet you're still here....
If someone gave me enough money, I would be glad to try living in Australia. Ga-day Mate !
  #43  
Old 08-24-2026, 10:58 AM
Howdy Howdy is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Jul 2025
Posts: 435
Thanks: 0
Thanked 205 Times in 112 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
Just heard on the radio that yesterday was the 100th day of temperature over 90 this year. So far.

Yikes. Unsure if this is above average for a “normal year”, but yikes. Personally I’ve had enough.

Seems that I have spent more time inside than before. When I’m outside for a while I feel like the wicked witch melting on Wizard of Oz.
It is " Temporary " it will be cool soon ____ Relax ____
Closed Thread

Tags
yikes, spent, time, inside, personally


You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 AM.