Golf carts as a traveling machine

Closed Thread
Old 04-05-2015, 08:33 AM

For safety: seat belts and LED lights. Been here 7 years. Personally came across a small child strapped in a car seat that had fallen out of the cart, someone ran straight into a tree and my wife asleep in the passenger seat. In the tree crash the seat broke loose because it is only screwed into fiberglass. LED lights to be seen. Hopefully, the more visible you are the better your chances of not being run into.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:42 AM
Sage

read this story

He was a student of mine when he was in high school a long time ago. I was the golf coach and this was our home course at one time, so I knew management. Management told me there was no drinking involved. It was a freak accident where the cart veered left and he fell out and landed on his head. Those carts only went 12 mph.

He shouldn't have reached for his phone.
Old 04-05-2015, 01:39 PM
Eternal Member

As some manufactures such as Par Car & Tombelin refer to them as "Personal Transport Vehicales" it important to note that the type of use other than playing golf the use on our
Roadways next to Automobiles should have the accessories as close to an auto as possible.
Items for safty such as lighting, mirrors, seat belts, reflectors, turn signals,horn are the most common.
Keeping the vehicle machanically sound with good brakes, tires and good headlights is always a good practice with any vehicle.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by obxgal View Post
Lets say my golf cart veers of the road and into one of the many ponds, and I can't get the seat belt off, my 2 choices .. drown or get eatin by the gators. .
Going into the water with all the lakes and canals (S. Florida) was the same excuse heard when the seatbelt law was put into place in Florida for autos. The seatbelt law has never killed anyone to my knowledge but saved thousands.
As far as being eaten by an alligator when going into the water, that is about as likely as an accurate long range weather forecast. Probably never happened.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Going into the water with all the lakes and canals (S. Florida) was the same excuse heard when the seatbelt law was put into place in Florida for autos. The seatbelt law has never killed anyone to my knowledge but saved thousands.
As far as being eaten by an alligator when going into the water, that is about as likely as an accurate long range weather forecast. Probably never happened.
Being trapped in the car and drowning/burning/whatever is the classic argument for not wearing a seat belt espoused by a certain age group (my mother comes to mind, who would have been 100 last month) and still given by a relatively few people today. It has been thoroughly statistically disproven. Buckle up!
Old 04-05-2015, 07:21 PM
Veteran member

I've been working on my golf cart to turn it into a time machine so I can travel in other dimensions without seat belts.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:37 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Sally Moss, a Supervisor for District 6 submitted her thoughts concerning safety on the Multi-Modal paths at the District 6 meeting on April 17, 2015. One thing she said was “The Districts can do something that has been proven to reduce accidents and make driving safer for all drivers, passengers and everyone else that is on the Multi-Modal Path with them and that is reduce the speed on the Multi-Modal Paths to 15 mph which is the top speed of golf cart models off the assembly line.”

For a complete text of what she said, please follow this link to download and read the PDF of the 04/17/15 VCDD 6 meeting found on the districtgov web site. Her comments are found towards the end of the pdf.

VCDD Meetings/Agendas
Old 04-20-2015, 08:50 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
I've been working on my golf cart to turn it into a time machine so I can travel in other dimensions without seat belts.
Even with a flux capacitor I doubt you could get the cart to 88 mph. A transporter is the only answer.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:29 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
Sally Moss, a Supervisor for District 6 submitted her thoughts concerning safety on the Multi-Modal paths at the District 6 meeting on April 17, 2015. One thing she said was “The Districts can do something that has been proven to reduce accidents and make driving safer for all drivers, passengers and everyone else that is on the Multi-Modal Path with them and that is reduce the speed on the Multi-Modal Paths to 15 mph which is the top speed of golf cart models off the assembly line.”

For a complete text of what she said, please follow this link to download and read the PDF of the 04/17/15 VCDD 6 meeting found on the districtgov web site. Her comments are found towards the end of the pdf.

VCDD Meetings/Agendas
Thanks for sharing, I never would have seen this.

To save folks a minute or two looking for it, here is a direct link http://district.novusagenda.com/Agen...07&ItemID=3336
Old 04-21-2015, 07:42 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post

VCDD Meetings/Agendas
Her suggestion to lower the speed limits on the MM paths sounds like a step in the right direction. However, from her statements, it does appear (at least to me) like she is against striping/improving the driver's visibility on the MM paths by shifting the blame over to the drivers. I'm glad the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration doesn't feel the same way about the roads we drive our cars on. Of course there will be distracted drivers anywhere, but their tack is to take away as much of what can contribute to an accident as possible so that there is very little left except driver distraction.

Improving vision on the MM paths has been shown to be a veery slight financial burden. I do not understand why anyone is fighting it.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:22 AM
Sage

I hope the 15 mph limit idea never gets legs. Golf cart safety, like most things, comes down to personal responsibility. There is nothing wrong with 20 mph and I venture to guess that golf cart accident rate here (accidents per xxx miles) is pretty low. If golf cart speeds are limited to 15, many folks will opt to use their cars for longer trips thus putting more cars in the road and likely increasing the auto accident rate. Leave well enough alone.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:29 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
I hope the 15 mph limit idea never gets legs. Golf cart safety, like most things, comes down to personal responsibility. There is nothing wrong with 20 mph and I venture to guess that golf cart accident rate here (accidents per xxx miles) is pretty low. If golf cart speeds are limited to 15, many folks will opt to use their cars for longer trips thus putting more cars in the road and likely increasing the auto accident rate. Leave well enough alone.
I agree. There's nothing wrong with the existing 20 limit now. It's the foolish and irresponsible that just don't care they are putting others at risk. If it was lowered it will be greatly enforced as the 20 is now. The only thing that will slow down the souped up carts will be when the owners are hit in the wallet. An unfortunate truth.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:36 AM
Sage

I get your points, but I still see the value of striping the paths to increase visibility. The District 6 supervisor seemed to be trying to lead the conversation elsewhere.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post

I agree with you villages07. I can't remember ANYTHING I haven't agreed with you about since I first arrived..

Further, I say, if you make the speed limit 15, I betcha it will be ignored. It feels like you arecrawling across the Morse Bridge at ten MPH. But I do it because it is safer to do it.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:55 AM
Platinum member

Golf cart safety. Can someone tell me the number of accident that happen on the paths. I would suspect not many. Another point, the Villages Golf Cart repair will not work on a cart that goes over the max speed.

We all moved here to enjoy life, let's not start putting another set of rules on us.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.