Higher grades of fuel for gas golf carts

Closed Thread
Old 07-11-2011, 11:59 PM
Gold member
Default Octane Facts - Cart Emission Concerns

This will open up a can of worms but I will start with this quote.

"Ignorance can be fixed with education. However stupidity takes great salesmanship." Many people are handed opinions and not facts.

So here goes.

The highest British Thermal "Unit of burn is regular.
The least is high octane.

Octane requirements are determined on the compression needs of a engine design. High compression = high octane, low compression = low octane.

So run what the owners manual recommends and that's that. Run the wrong octane and risk poor mileage, carbon build up and performance loss.

Now lets get into ethanol and phase seperation of fuel.

A product from Amsoil called Amsoil PI is wonderful and for storage and performance research K100 fuel treatment. I have hours of testing previous mentioned products. K100 and AMSOIL outperform.

Now we should not need to use adative for gas but in reality current gas and ethanol have created nightmares for carb equipped vehicles. www.lubedealer.com/carguys

As a 35 year Automotive instructor , Radio Talk show host and Clean Cities advisor when we move here next year there will not be a gas cart in our garage.

One gas engine Yamaha emits more raw Hydro Carbons( raw fuel ) and Carbon Monoxide ( partly burnt fuels) in a tunnel or your garage than 75 emission controlled fuel injected vehicles running at 65 for hours. My lawn mower left running in a closed garage could kill me in a hour. Our 2011 GM or Toyota as most other vehicles would emitt cleaner air than inhaled in the intake.

Now if we get fuel injection and a cat muffler system on a Gas Cart I would buy it. Why don't we have this technology? Cost! People like to save money as they gasp for breath.

Geee is it the grass and pollen that makes us wheeze or the ground level lung searing Ozone from lawn mowers and Gas Cart exhaust? And no I'm not some tree hugger just like to breath fresh air.

Electric carts with regenerative braking will soon take over the hearts of many. Price and performance will come down.

Just some thoughts no disrespect to current gas cart owners or sales. One year to go and we will be here with all you great Villagers! Can't wait.

Last edited by CarGuys; 07-12-2011 at 12:10 AM. Reason: typos
Old 07-12-2011, 05:08 AM
Platinum member

I disagree with Challenger 200%. Go with the high test and use the Sta-bil in every fill up. If you take care of your cart, it will take care of you.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:50 AM

I will bet anybody on this site one dollar $1 that gas carts will be banned within the next five years at TV. With the new battery sets, eight six volt, the range is unbeatable. Read and trust your instincts, and ignore the fact that old people hate change and anything new and better. http://www.ajc.com/news/fayette/the-...lf-584699.html
Old 07-12-2011, 08:20 AM

Hey Jim,

Put me down for $2.00 as I have 2 gas carts.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Gold member
Default Electric Zombie

Appreciate those with a open mind to change.

For those who want some fun videos watch this . Just go to his site and select those your want. Or google plasmaboyracing

http://www.plasmaboyracing.com/whitezombie.php

I teach vocational education. There is nothing faster off the line or with more pure torque than a electric cart.

These videos are how I get my 11 and 12th grade students to start thinking about alternative fuel options. Wow could we all get in trouble on the carts trail with a cart version of these! LOL

Regards all!
Old 07-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Straz View Post
I will bet anybody on this site one dollar $1 that gas carts will be banned within the next five years at TV. With the new battery sets, eight six volt, the range is unbeatable. Read and trust your instincts, and ignore the fact that old people hate change and anything new and better. http://www.ajc.com/news/fayette/the-...lf-584699.html
I'll take you up on that bet. By the way, I saw an ad to replace the "new" high tec batteries as bragged about in the Par Car ads. Only $1795 installed.
When they ban the gas carts they will have to also ban the lawn mowers that cut your grass not to mention the edgers and blowers. Add in the pressure washers etc.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:26 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Straz View Post
I don't think restrictions/ban on gas carts could happen that fast. How do you tell (estimated 30,000 gas cart owners) that their cart is worthless and can't be used in TV. They might be able to discontinue sales on new gas models but to force a majority of Village People to spend an additional 10 grand ain't happening. To be honest, in a perfect world, electric carts will be best but they are not practical because of milage restrictions. If anything, the future might be with solar carts which will not need recharging. But that option might not be feasible for another ten years.
Old 07-23-2011, 08:22 AM
Platinum member

I would love to have an electric cart, but with the growth of TV and unavailablity of charging stations, we felt that gas was the way to go at the time. Things may change and I hope they do. The quality and reliablity of batteries is changing. I also like the idea of the solar panels on the roof to help charge the batteries. We drive a Prius when not driving the cart, and I would love to see someone come out with a hybrid type of golf cart. That way you have the best of both worlds. I think if I had to buy an electric now, I would have to also purchase one of those small generators (like the vendors use on Market Nights) to use in case I ran out of juice.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 07-23-2011, 08:38 AM
Veteran member
Default 150 Mile Electric Cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
I also like the idea of the solar panels on the roof to help charge the batteries. We drive a Prius when not driving the cart, and I would love to see someone come out with a hybrid type of golf cart. That way you have the best of both worlds. I think if I had to buy an electric now, I would have to also purchase one of those small generators (like the vendors use on Market Nights) to use in case I ran out of juice.
EZ Go announced a "150 mile" electric cart. It is a standard electric with a gas generator strapped on the back. No room for golf clubs or anything else.
As my pappy always says, "using a sledge hammer is a mighty fine way of driving in a screw.!!"
Web page reference is www.ezgo.com/Exceed.html
Old 07-23-2011, 09:26 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
EZ Go announced a "150 mile" electric cart. It is a standard electric with a gas generator strapped on the back. No room for golf clubs or anything else.
As my pappy always says, "using a sledge hammer is a mighty fine way of driving in a screw.!!"
Web page reference is www.ezgo.com/Exceed.html
Cool!!! Now that's getting somewhere.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.