Help with internet speed

Old 05-25-2024, 04:04 PM

This is dumb… no one really knows what their issue is. As far as I can tell they have an Xfinity 5G internet service and not cable. If you are not in a strong signal area you are going to get slow reception. They will also slow your service if there is a lot of phone traffic because that take priority. Those 5G home internet services by Xfinity and TMobile should be a last choice option. They are not cheap at $50 month
Old 05-25-2024, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
My internet is so slow that is almost worthless. This morning I used 5g on my phone.

I live in Delmar and think the only provider is Xfinity. Can anyone suggest a solution to slow internet? Xfinity claims I have a fast speed.

Thank you.
I suggest getting the 1 gigabyte speed. It isn't slow.
Old 05-26-2024, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,737 Times in 3,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRcorvette View Post
This is dumb… no one really knows what their issue is. As far as I can tell they have an Xfinity 5G internet service and not cable. If you are not in a strong signal area you are going to get slow reception. They will also slow your service if there is a lot of phone traffic because that take priority. Those 5G home internet services by Xfinity and TMobile should be a last choice option. They are not cheap at $50 month
Xfinity is the /only/ high-speed option in my area. But I had Xfinity internet up north and it was fine, so we were happy to get it again in The Villages.

5G internet service, YouTubeTV and Netflix and Amazon Prime Video for our television options, AT&T for our cell phones. I bought our router and modem myself at Best Buy, everything works perfectly most of the time. Hubby watches golf on TV while I'm streaming movies on my computer. Photo-jet printer, tablet, laptop, two cell phones, my hearing aid streaming device, all hooked up and never worry about buffering or slow connections.
Old 05-26-2024, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,561 Times in 2,150 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Xfinity is the /only/ high-speed option in my area. But I had Xfinity internet up north and it was fine, so we were happy to get it again in The Villages.

5G internet service,
YouTubeTV and Netflix and Amazon Prime Video for our television options, AT&T for our cell phones. I bought our router and modem myself at Best Buy, everything works perfectly most of the time. Hubby watches golf on TV while I'm streaming movies on my computer. Photo-jet printer, tablet, laptop, two cell phones, my hearing aid streaming device, all hooked up and never worry about buffering or slow connections.
I don't believe Xfinity offers 5G home internet. All the Xfinity information I can find concerning 5G internet downplays it in favor of wired/cable service. Xfinity has a 5G offering for mobile service away from home but doesn't appear to offer 5G service for day-to-day use in the home. (and your mention of purchasing your own modem makes it seem even more likely that you connected that modem to the cable in your home rather than using the 5G signal from a nearby cell tower)

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 05-26-2024, 12:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,737 Times in 3,198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I don't believe Xfinity offers 5G home internet. All the Xfinity information I can find concerning 5G internet downplays it in favor of wired/cable service. Xfinity has a 5G offering for mobile service away from home but doesn't appear to offer 5G service for day-to-day use in the home. (and your mention of purchasing your own modem makes it seem even more likely that you connected that modem to the cable in your home rather than using the 5G signal from a nearby cell tower)
Yes you're right. I was reading and typing at the same time and got the terms confused. Our internet is 200mbps. Our cell phone service from AT&T is 5G.
Old 05-27-2024, 04:19 AM

I would do a search online about the effects of 5G on peoples health.
Old 05-27-2024, 11:49 AM

There are terms that can mead two different things, which leads to confusion.
Internet connectivity can happen in 2 ways.
1. Signal is delivered to house by a physical wire transmission line from a cable TV supplier, or by fiber optic cable. Both attach to a modem which converts the transmission line into an standard ethernet wire. Some modems can also incorporate a router.
2. Signal is delivered to house using wireless cell phone radio towers. There is a device that receives these radio signals and converts them to standard ethernet. Some of these devices also include a router. The radio signal transmission can be several modulation types, the older LTE, newer 4G, and latest 5G. These do not mean anything related to their actual frequency. It is just a name.

A router typically also includes a WiFi radio. These operate on 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz (often shortened to 5G). This 5G is completely different than the cellular 5G signal.

To further confuse things, the modulation and frequency usage for wireless ethernet (coming from a WiFi radio) has several versions of how the data is transmitted. Terms like WiFi 5, WiFi 6, WiFi 6a, WiFi 7 describe the name of data transmission signal formatting. Selecting different frequency combinations, modulation formats, have allowed the data transmission rate to increase in each version.

The speed of data transmission is measured in mbbp. That is mega bits per second. Not mega BYTES per second (mBps).
The maximum speed capability is limited in software by the provider. It is also limited by parallel use causing congestion.
Fiber optic delivery is rarely impacted by congestion. It also offers upload speed equal to download speed. Common max speeds are 100's to 1000 mbps.
CATV delivery is occasionally slightly impacted by congestion. It also offers upload speed usually 10 to 50mbbp max, far less than download speed. Common max download speeds are 100's to 1000 mbps.
Cellular system delivery is impacted by congestion. It is similar to CATV speed, but often max is 100 to 300mbps. However, some newer systems can be higher.

For TV streaming, the connection needs to be only about 25mbps. However, it needs to be stable and uninterrupted. With a browser, go to speedtest by ookla and run a test. They will measure your actual speed, and ping times. The normal test locates a hist near by to where you live. The "ping" time says how long of a delay happens between asking for data, and receiving it. 30ms is reasonable. Run again and watch the numbers at the blue arrow. They should be steady. Now change the destination target to something far away, try Toronto. Run test. Watch blue arrow and notice how it really bounces around. When seeing numbers well above 1000, that can indicate that IPTV streaming might start stuttering.

So when asking for help, please include ... Who your service provider is. What speed tier is specified in your plan. What method is the link to the provider (CATV, fiber, cellular). Results from speedtest. Specific details about the problem. "not working well" is far too generic. Include how your computer is connected (ethernet wire or WiFi), what exactly is happening, what makes it worse or better, what has been tried so far, is it one device or all.
Old 05-27-2024, 03:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,771 Times in 976 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabella View Post
I would do a search online about the effects of 5G on peoples health.
And then what? Don't let it into your house?

Tags
internet, speed, slow, xfinity, provider

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.