New Computer, or Upgrade Existing Tower?

Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2023, 01:07 PM
Default Windows 11 requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I love my 27" monitor and really don't want an "all in one" computer. My current computer works fine, but for a bad fan that needs replacing. The other two fans are in perfect shape.

Problem is, my computer is -not- upgradable to Win11, and Win10 will no longer be supported this coming year - and some of the "apps" already don't work on it anymore.

I'm thinking - maybe I could get a new hard drive? Or even an SSD? I'd have to buy Win11 but that's cheap enough, I can get the license and download for less than $50. A new SSD I think can run under $200.

That seems a lot more useful to me than spending $600+ for a new tower.

My current computer comes with an older generation Intel i7, and at 2.8ghz is fast enough for my needs.

The computer itself is not a "true" component computer, but it's also not fully integrated. So I can swap out the hard drive, I'm pretty sure the motherboard is easily removable, I've already reseated the heat sink with new thermal paste so I know that's doable (thanks to villagetinker for the smear of paste).

It's been SOOOO long since I've worked on a computer other than the heat sink, and my CompTIA A+ certification was from back in the days when DOS was still included with Windows so - I'm really not up to speed on technology anymore.

Does adding an SSD or swapping out for an updated hard drive sound like the right move here? Or should I get rid of my beautiful Acer 27" monitor that's only 2 years old and works great, and go for an all-in-one that's cheaper than $500?

My budget is limited. I can go UP TO $500, no matter which way I go. I'd even consider an "out of box" or certified refurbished tower from Best Buy, but it needs to be a new(er) model computer if I go that route instead.

I -will not- buy a Dell. I wouldn't even take on if someone gave it to me. I prefer HP, but I'm not opposed to Acer, Asu, MSI, or even Lenovo.

I prefer a computer that comes with a dvd r/w and it must have a card reader.

Suggestions, things to watch out for, things to avoid, can my idea of keeping my tower and upgrading it work?
Windows 11 has 2 specific requirements that relate to the motherboard/firmware:
1. Unified Extensible Firmware Interface - This is required to enable secure boot
2. Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0. You must be able to run TPM v2.0.

TPM 2.0 became standard in 2016. If your motherboard doesn't support these, you need a newer motherboard. If you're getting a new motherboard, you'll also need to get new RAM (memory). You can get a motherboard for <$100 as well as memory for <$100. You'll also need a new processor. It all depends on much money you want to spend. You can certainly use your existing case. You'd probably want to get a SSD that would fit into an M.2 slot. If you have windows 10, you can install windows 11 on the new motherboard/SSD and move your license to the new computer, i.e., it will not cost you anything. I've done this multiple times.

You should be able to hookup your existing hard drive to the new motherboard and as such all of your files will be there.

It's not difficult, just time consuming. Good luck.
Old 04-30-2023, 01:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,899 Times in 5,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Windows 11 has 2 specific requirements that relate to the motherboard/firmware:
1. Unified Extensible Firmware Interface - This is required to enable secure boot
2. Trusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0. You must be able to run TPM v2.0.

TPM 2.0 became standard in 2016. If your motherboard doesn't support these, you need a newer motherboard. If you're getting a new motherboard, you'll also need to get new RAM (memory). You can get a motherboard for <$100 as well as memory for <$100. You'll also need a new processor. It all depends on much money you want to spend. You can certainly use your existing case. You'd probably want to get a SSD that would fit into an M.2 slot. If you have windows 10, you can install windows 11 on the new motherboard/SSD and move your license to the new computer, i.e., it will not cost you anything. I've done this multiple times.

You should be able to hookup your existing hard drive to the new motherboard and as such all of your files will be there.

Question. Doesn't the Windows 10 license need to be a Retail license to move it to another computer? If it is an OEM license that came pre-installed, I thought that it cannot be moved to another computer.
Old 04-30-2023, 05:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,936 Times in 927 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
You are correct. My bad. The 2022 version of TurboTax will work on Windows 10. As I recall, I had difficulty installing the 2021 version, and the TurboTax screen warned me and highly recommended upgrading my computer to Windows 11. That is when I purchased a new desktop. So, I didn't need to attempt a Windows 10 installation for 2022. So, apparently, TurboTax has delayed their mandatory moved to Windows 11.
No big deal, I was wondering why mine worked as a different version being biz oriented.
Old 04-30-2023, 05:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Question. Doesn't the Windows 10 license need to be a Retail license to move it to another computer? If it is an OEM license that came pre-installed, I thought that it cannot be moved to another computer.
Technically true but are there really hard drive police at MS?
Old 04-30-2023, 05:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
If you're getting a new motherboard, you'll also need to get new RAM (memory). You can get a motherboard for <$100 as well as memory for <$100. You'll also need a new processor. It all depends on much money you want to spend. You can certainly use your existing case. You'd probably want to get a SSD that would fit into an M.2 slot.

I second this solution
Old 04-30-2023, 05:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,660 Times in 3,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Technically true but are there really hard drive police at MS?
It simply won't work if you try, it's nothing to do with being allowed or not allowed.
Old 04-30-2023, 08:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,884 Posts

You ruled out my answer sorta like when you were moving into town and had some very specific requirements for your internet service. You are a smart one there OBB. I'll bet you have decided already about the route you will take. I just disassembled two computers that could have saved the day and dismembered an old 27-inch iMac.

I switched over to a Mac Mini several years ago and it was the best computer move I ever made. Wish it could help you but you did say it's a no-go. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2023, 08:43 AM

I have a MiniMac for sale for $100. I use two others to track investments. Not exactly true..I sometimes use one as a TV.
Old 05-01-2023, 10:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
It simply won't work if you try, it's nothing to do with being allowed or not allowed.
somehow i remember doing it after a build with an OEM license, I think I had to deactivate the license and then reactivate it on the new build. . but since that tower is about 10 years old,

your honor, i do not recall

some random internet guy
Old 05-01-2023, 10:34 AM
Gold member

Quote:
I love my 27" monitor and really don't want an "all in one" computer. My current computer works fine, but for a bad fan that needs replacing. The other two fans are in perfect shape.

Problem is, my computer is -not- upgradable to Win11, and Win10 will no longer be supported this coming year - and some of the "apps" already don't work on it anymore.

I'm thinking - maybe I could get a new hard drive? Or even an SSD? I'd have to buy Win11 but that's cheap enough, I can get the license and download for less than $50. A new SSD I think can run under $200.

That seems a lot more useful to me than spending $600+ for a new tower.

My current computer comes with an older generation Intel i7, and at 2.8ghz is fast enough for my needs.

The computer itself is not a "true" component computer, but it's also not fully integrated. So I can swap out the hard drive, I'm pretty sure the motherboard is easily removable, I've already reseated the heat sink with new thermal paste so I know that's doable (thanks to villagetinker for the smear of paste).

It's been SOOOO long since I've worked on a computer other than the heat sink, and my CompTIA A+ certification was from back in the days when DOS was still included with Windows so - I'm really not up to speed on technology anymore.

Does adding an SSD or swapping out for an updated hard drive sound like the right move here? Or should I get rid of my beautiful Acer 27" monitor that's only 2 years old and works great, and go for an all-in-one that's cheaper than $500?

My budget is limited. I can go UP TO $500, no matter which way I go. I'd even consider an "out of box" or certified refurbished tower from Best Buy, but it needs to be a new(er) model computer if I go that route instead.

I -will not- buy a Dell. I wouldn't even take on if someone gave it to me. I prefer HP, but I'm not opposed to Acer, Asu, MSI, or even Lenovo.

I prefer a computer that comes with a dvd r/w and it must have a card reader.

Suggestions, things to watch out for, things to avoid, can my idea of keeping my tower and upgrading it work?
Don't get hungup on it having a card reader. As long as you have a spare USB, a card reader will cost as little as 20.00
Old 05-01-2023, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,899 Times in 5,321 Posts

Quote:
somehow i remember doing it after a build with an OEM license, I think I had to deactivate the license and then reactivate it on the new build. . but since that tower is about 10 years old,

your honor, i do not recall

some random internet guy
As I understand it, The Windows license restrictions were changed several years ago. In the past, you were allowed to move an OEM Windows software program from an old computer to a new computer. But, today, the pre-installed Windows software is only licensed for one computer and it cannot be moved. Microsoft controls this by recording specific metrics on every computer. These are things, such as the hard drive size and model, the motherboard model and serial number, the type of graphics card, etc. So, when you try to reinstall a Windows program on a different computer, Microsoft knows that you are trying to violate the license, and rejects the installation. At least that is the way I think it works.
Old 05-01-2023, 10:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
As I understand it, The Windows license restrictions were changed several years ago. In the past, you were allowed to move an OEM Windows software program from an old computer to a new computer. But, today, the pre-installed Windows software is only licensed for one computer and it cannot be moved. Microsoft controls this by recording specific metrics on every computer. These are things, such as the hard drive size and model, the motherboard model and serial number, the type of graphics card, etc. So, when you try to reinstall a Windows program on a different computer, Microsoft knows that you are trying to violate the license, and rejects the installation. At least that is the way I think it works.
And that I understand and that has changed since I last built a tower. .
Thanks! the technical name for the specific data is telemetry i believe

but i still go for a Dell Laptop over any other laptop, having used Dell since 1993
my current 7 year old laptop does more than my current work laptop, and only Windows
11 is sinking it. . but the new laptop will be linux so minimize the virus attack surface

some other random internet guy
Old 05-01-2023, 03:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,660 Times in 3,167 Posts

Quote:
And that I understand and that has changed since I last built a tower. .
Thanks! the technical name for the specific data is telemetry i believe

but i still go for a Dell Laptop over any other laptop, having used Dell since 1993
my current 7 year old laptop does more than my current work laptop, and only Windows
11 is sinking it. . but the new laptop will be linux so minimize the virus attack surface

some other random internet guy
We used to repair Dell computers at the university. That was the brand they contracted with, so every department, every office, had a Dell. They were the worst with customer service, the worst with IT, the worst with parts and peripherals. If you ordered memory, it'd come cracked and unusable. If you called to tell them you needed it replaced, they'd stick you on hold for an hour, then disconnect you. The parts themselves were inferior. They used AMD instead of Intel, which at the time was vastly inferior to Intel but also less expensive. They always took the cheapest way out of everything, including the really crappy quality plastic shells of their monitors.

Macs were just as bad, but in the opposite direction. If something went wrong, well it was all integrated. That means - permanently attached to the rest. If you had a problem with part of your computer, you had to replace the whole computer. At the time, a Mac was more expensive than an IBM clone, so Apple made a lovely fortune replacing bad computers the year after the warranty ran out.

If I won a brand new Dell, delivered to my home and set up by a professional, I'd tell them to skip the setup and I'd donate it to a battered womens' shelter. And then I'd buy an HP and set it up myself.
Old 05-02-2023, 01:08 AM

Bought my wife one of these about 5 months ago for $225 from Amazon. She loves it. Was able to use her monitor and keyboard with it. You can get a faster processor including Intels for less than $500.

Beelink U59 Pro Mini PC with Processor N5105,16G DDR4 500G SSD Mini Desktop Computer, Support 2.4G/5G Dual WiFi, Dual NIC LAN, BT4.0, Dual HDMI Business Mini Computer.
Old 05-02-2023, 06:26 AM

Use Rufus to create a Windows 11 ISO and you can remove the TPM requirements, which will allow you to install W11 on almost any PC.

Hike naked, it adds color to your cheeks!
Closed Thread

Tags
computer, tower, drive, ssd, buy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.