Floor Outlets

Closed Thread
Old 12-30-2016, 10:09 AM
Question Floor Outlets

Can anyone provide advise on which companies can move electrical outlets in the floor. We bought a house here that was expanded about three feet, i can only guess but it appears they left the electrical outlet positioned relative to the center of the room instead of the kitchen. This eliminates 3 feet of useful area. Called one well known electrical contractor but they were not what I would call full service. Any ideas or references would be appreciated
Old 12-30-2016, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,743 Times in 704 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomterrif View Post
Can anyone provide advise on which companies can move electrical outlets in the floor. We bought a house here that was expanded about three feet, i can only guess but it appears they left the electrical outlet positioned relative to the center of the room instead of the kitchen. This eliminates 3 feet of useful area. Called one well known electrical contractor but they were not what I would call full service. Any ideas or references would be appreciated
Lenhart or Pikes, both of which are electrical contractors, can do this for you. You are going to have to find a tile contractor to do the finish work, however.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:06 AM
Veteran member

that's a big job,you have to cut the floor 2 inches wide ,6 in. deep to how ever far you want it. oh, and dusty/messy job.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,359 Times in 2,317 Posts

Good advice above, first make sure you can get matching tile, then figure on a concrete saw inside the house, this is really dirty work!!! Even if they use a water spray, there will be a lot of dirt, etc. I would be very interested in what you find, and the estimated costs. I have friend that has an island that was wired for electric, but never connected, and they would need the same type of project.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:35 PM

I called Lenharts before the request, they said they do not do it. I will try Pikes. Sad The builders do not take more time positioning this. I do not have to worry about tile since I am having hardwood put in where we currently have carpet. I find it hard to believe others have not done this. I do realize it is messy
Old 12-30-2016, 09:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,359 Times in 2,317 Posts

To be legal, the existing wire (cable) would need to be removed and a new one installed, or it would need to be spliced, and if spliced, then you must have access to the splice, so you will still have a cover plate at the current location in the floor. I point this out since it mat not be possible to pull out the existing cable, depending on the number of bends in the conduit. I do recall some people just abandoning these floor mounted receptacles, but having the cable disconnected at the breaker box, and in your case, the new flooring installed over the filled in hole. This may be your best and cheapest solution, if you can live without the floor receptacle.

I have some experience with cable in conduit, and if the original construction used wide sweeps, then to may be possible to replace the cable, if they used 90 degree fittings or very tight sweeps, you are probably out of luck. I think this is why the electrical contractors are backing away.

Also, I am guessing the expansion may have been after the fact, so the original location may have been fine.

Hope this helps, and feel free to send me a PM if you would like to discuss further.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:45 AM
Default Floor Outlet

Give Galaxy Home Solutions a call @ 352-748-4868. We have a "stretched" CYV and had them install a floor outlet. Talked to Lenhart and while they would take the job they really stressed the mess it would make. Talked to Galaxy and they said there would be little to no mess. We were skeptical, but they were true to their word. We were taking up carpet and installing laminate, so it's pretty close to what you're doing.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:47 PM

Thanks that is helpful, I will call them
Closed Thread

Tags
electrical, outlets, floor, feet, called

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.