Teak wood furniture restoration

Closed Thread
Old 06-10-2020, 10:52 AM
theruizs
Default Teak wood furniture restoration

I have searched through TOTV and haven’t found anything specific regarding recommendations for restoringteak wood furniture. We have two chairs and two benches that are kept outside that we would like restored/refinished. If they pick them up and bring them back when done, even better!
Old 06-10-2020, 11:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,366 Times in 2,318 Posts

My neighbor did his own, lots of sanding, and then a protective finish. There is a firm Rael Furniture that posts on here for repairing and refinishing furniture, you can try calling them. I do not have any personal experience in this area as I typically do my own work.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:34 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,432 Times in 1,473 Posts

I used to have a boat with a lot of teak on it that would turn gray. Boat supply places have a product that will easily clean and bring it back to life and then if you wish you can follow with a sealer to prevent it from coming back. It's not a hard process, give it a try.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:40 AM
Sage

Our boat had tons of teak, i was the Admirals job to take care of the brightwork--
1) clean teak to remove old oils
2) sand to a smooth clean surface--very fine sand paper
3) we used Epifanes--marine varnish--lots of fine coats-sanding in between as needed--usually as much as 14 coats gave a deep clear picture

Warning do in a very low humidity environment to avoid future clouding
Old 06-10-2020, 12:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

I have 2 chairs teak i just re cote with teak oil
Old 06-10-2020, 01:24 PM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
My neighbor did his own, lots of sanding, and then a protective finish. There is a firm Rael Furniture that posts on here for repairing and refinishing furniture, you can try calling them. I do not have any personal experience in this area as I typically do my own work.
Thanks, I’ll look into Rael. I thought about doing it myself but when I looked at what’s involved there are some chemicals (a cleaner and a brightner) that require thorough rinsing and I am worried about the runoff getting into the pond if rinsed down the gutter, or hurting the lawn if I do it in the grass. I had a neighbor chew me out for washing my car in the driveway. If they just needed a little touching up with some oil or sealer it woulf be different, but we let them go too long.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:18 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

wait - 1 cannot wash his own car in his own driveway w/o running afoul of the n-hood wanna-be busy-bodies ? ? ? don't tell me there's a law against that.................... really ? ? ?
Old 06-11-2020, 06:21 AM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
I have searched through TOTV and haven’t found anything specific regarding recommendations for restoringteak wood furniture. We have two chairs and two benches that are kept outside that we would like restored/refinished. If they pick them up and bring them back when done, even better!
Lemon Oil which you can at Hardware store and superfine steel wool.Teak is a very hardwood and does not attract bugs. Yes it fades in the sun, however, lemon oil will restore it. Polyurethane finish should not be applied to Teak wood. (forty years as a furniture Mfg)
Old 06-11-2020, 06:27 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,295 Times in 439 Posts

The easiest, safest way to clean and refinish teak is to wash it using sudsy ammonia, let it dry and apply teak oil. The sudsy ammonia restores the color & removes the dry wood fiber with minimal effort. You can buy sudsy ammonia almost anywhere household cleaning products are sold.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:27 AM
Sage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
I used to have a boat with a lot of teak on it that would turn gray. Boat supply places have a product that will easily clean and bring it back to life and then if you wish you can follow with a sealer to prevent it from coming back. It's not a hard process, give it a try.
Agree, not much sanding with the boat cleaners, but I use oxcilac acid in a bucket, gloves stiff brush with the grain, rinse let dry.

the Semco teak oil I use gets 3 wipe or brush on coats my decks and railings look great
Old 06-11-2020, 07:07 AM

tung oil is the best solution for weathered teak. holds up very well
Old 06-11-2020, 07:18 AM

Try going on utube.
Old 06-11-2020, 07:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by theruizs View Post
Thanks, I’ll look into Rael. I thought about doing it myself but when I looked at what’s involved there are some chemicals (a cleaner and a brightner) that require thorough rinsing and I am worried about the runoff getting into the pond if rinsed down the gutter, or hurting the lawn if I do it in the grass. I had a neighbor chew me out for washing my car in the driveway. If they just needed a little touching up with some oil or sealer it woulf be different, but we let them go too long.
need to tell your neighbor buzzz off
Old 06-11-2020, 08:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,132 Times in 418 Posts

We have a lot of teak furniture on our lanai, lots more than your four pieces. Last year I refinished it all myself. Lots of sanding, cleaning, brightening, scrubbing, then finishing with teak oil.

Lots of work...LOTS!! Good luck in finding someone to do it. Don’t call me.
Old 06-11-2020, 08:52 AM
theruizs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stadry View Post
wait - 1 cannot wash his own car in his own driveway w/o running afoul of the n-hood wanna-be busy-bodies ? ? ? don't tell me there's a law against that.................... really ? ? ?
Not sure where/if it is a written rule/law. But evidently (as it was explained to me) you’re supposed to wash the car in your yard so the run off goes through the ground instead of washing directly down the street drain because those empty straight into the water retention ponds. In fact our pond is right behind our house. I would think though that with environmentally safe soap it shouldn’t matter and not harm the wildlife, but just trying to behave myself.
Closed Thread

Tags
wood, furniture, restored/refinished, back, pick

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.