Cost Of Driving Electric Vehicle Equal To Paying $17.33 Per Gallon Of Gasoline, Study

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2023, 09:01 AM

A U.S. Department of Energy report found that, when factoring in the long-term ownership expenses, a small electric SUV costs $0.4508 per mile compared to $0.4727 per mile for a comparable gas car. That’s a difference of just $0.0219 per mile. The report concludes that it would take 15 years for the average EV to make up for its higher purchase price.
Old 10-30-2023, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robnlaura View Post
A U.S. Department of Energy report found that, when factoring in the long-term ownership expenses, a small electric SUV costs $0.4508 per mile compared to $0.4727 per mile for a comparable gas car. That’s a difference of just $0.0219 per mile. The report concludes that it would take 15 years for the average EV to make up for its higher purchase price.
It would be nice to know if they took everything into account....costs for raw materials, healthy costs due to pollution, etc. etc. etc. I have not seen an exhaustive, non biased report yet (but would love to see one!)

However, assuming it's true, it's only going to get better over time and the electric car is so much better for almost every use case that it's an obvious choice for the consumer. IMO of course

Joe
Old 10-30-2023, 09:10 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,233 Times in 341 Posts

Quote:
The 2024 Tesla Model 3, which we plan to order when avail in USA, net actual cost before tax and delivery will be about $36,500. This includes special paint and interior colors. Also the US tax credit which in ‘24 will be taken right off the vehicle price.

A Toyota Camry would be much more based on standard equipment of the Tesla. And NO dealing with markups and hassling of a selling Dealer. Tesla order takes 5 minutes on their web site. No haggling etc etc.
Old 10-30-2023, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
The 2024 Tesla Model 3, which we plan to order when avail in USA, net actual cost before tax and delivery will be about $36,500. This includes special paint and interior colors. Also the US tax credit which in ‘24 will be taken right off the vehicle price.

A Toyota Camry would be much more based on standard equipment of the Tesla. And NO dealing with markups and hassling of a selling Dealer. Tesla order takes 5 minutes on their web site. No haggling etc etc.
Isn't it pleasant....just order from you phone. No getting worked over for hours at the dealership!

Joe
Old 10-30-2023, 09:16 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,018 Times in 773 Posts

It must be true “because I read it on the internet”
Have spoken to many Tesla EV owners I have come across in the Villages. Haven’t come across any disgruntled owners yet. Charging is done at home with no issues. One I talked to drove from Tulsa Ok two day drive with no charging issues on way to The Villages.
Old 10-30-2023, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
It must be true “because I read it on the internet”
Have spoken to many Tesla EV owners I have come across in the Villages. Haven’t come across any disgruntled owners yet. Charging is done at home with no issues. One I talked to drove from Tulsa Ok two day drive with no charging issues on way to The Villages.
Just a single data point but we've done 1,700 miles in the last 2 weeks and it's been great! The car drives itself most of the way so long trips are easier due to less cognitive load.

Given the driving I've witnessed here in Florida....I wish all cars drove themselves LOL!

Joe
Old 10-30-2023, 09:31 AM
Default Batteries

How much do replacement batteries cost in a few years?
Old 10-30-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heytubes View Post
How much do replacement batteries cost in a few years?
After 300,000 miles....who cares? It's like asking how much does it cost to replace and engine and transmission in a super old car, it's not really "a thing" for 99% of people.

How Long Does a Tesla Car Battery Last? | EnergySage

Joe
Old 10-30-2023, 10:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,000 Times in 5,366 Posts

Quote:
Huh? Do the math. If you drive 12,000 miles per year for 15 years, that is 180,000 miles. So, 180,000 x $0.0219 = $3,942. I thought that an EV is $20k to $30k more expensive than an ICE.
Old 10-30-2023, 10:18 AM

There are some basic things being forgotten on both sides of the discussion. Think about our golf cart EV vs ICE discussions. There are maintenance costs with ICE that don't exist with EV (tune-up, breaks, oil, belts, etc.). Our EV cart batteries will need replacement every 5-7 years at a cost of about $4k for my 210Ah. Tesla battery replacement is $5-$20k. The current cost of a battery is around $160/kWh, which puts a Model Y @ $12k and Models X&S around $16k. I think current car EV battery warranty still around 8 years & 100k miles. I don't know if there is or will be disposal costs for old batteries since they are hazmat. So, basic math, $16k/100,000 miles is 16 cents per mile just for the battery and not including charging. Per Energysage.com "Across all models, Tesla's cost slightly less than 5 cents per mile to charge". Per policygenius.com "On average, insurance for an electric car is $44 per month more expensive than the cost of insuring a gas-powered car." So, $44x12months/12,000 miles per year = ~4 cents/mile. Now we're up to 25 cents per mile. Average gas price today in FL is $3.67 and if you can get 25mpg, that translates to about 15 cents per mile. Per Consumeraffairs.com my Chevy annual maintenance and repairs is $649 > $649/12,000 miles = ~5 cents/mile. So, for ICE, we're at 20 cents/mile. So, EV seems to cost more per mile to drive. Next, range ICE is the clear winner. Hot and cold climates, towing, and mountains, ICE is the clear winner. Both climate extremes significantly impact battery performance and hotter climates impact the life expectancy of batteries, even if just sitting out in summer sun. Additionally, the use of Fast Chargers reduces battery life. Per energy5.com "Degradation- Fast charging can cause the battery to degrade faster over time. This means you will have to replace your battery more often. Heat- Fast charging can cause the battery to heat up quickly. This can be a problem if your car is not equipped to handle it." Tesla Super Chargers are Class 3. Lastly, at the end of the EV's battery life, will there even be a replacement for your model? See this story: Florida Family Discovers That Used Electric Vehicles Are a Risk Not Worth Assuming - autoevolution . Bottom line, ICE cars can run for as long as gas fuel exists in the world. EVs, when the battery dies, you risk having one REALLY expensive hazmat boat anchor.
Old 10-30-2023, 10:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
I knew it was very expensive to own and operate an EV, but this is way more than what I thought.

Cost of Driving Electric Vehicle Equal to Paying $17.33 Per Gallon of Gasoline, Study Finds - Truth Press
Seems your 150 page pseudoscience article does not hold muster.
Electric Cars vs Gas Cars Cost in Each State | Self Financial.

Anyone else do a history check on the OP and notice a tendency of throwing out these posts and then never responding to what others have to say? We call these "drive-bys"
Old 10-30-2023, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
I knew it was very expensive to own and operate an EV, but this is way more than what I thought.

Cost of Driving Electric Vehicle Equal to Paying $17.33 Per Gallon of Gasoline, Study Finds - Truth Press
From mediabiasfactcheck.com

Overall, we rate Truth Press Far-Right Biased and Questionable based on promoting propaganda, conspiracy theories, and pseudoscience. We also rate them Low for factual reporting due to the use of poor sources who frequently fail fact checks, blatant copyright infringement, and a total lack of transparency.
Old 10-30-2023, 10:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellmack View Post
It depends on what amperage you're using. At my house I have a 50 Amp breaker, at my office I on a 100 Amp service. At a Tesla Super Charger they use a very high powered service. I don't know what size, sorry. But it's very fast. At Tesla's fastest charging station it will go from 15% to 80% in the time it takes to use the bathroom and get a sandwich (15 minutes).
I don't pay attention to how long it takes at home because I plug it in every day when I get home and it's fully charged in the morning. Kinda nice having a full charge (or the equivalent of a full tank of gas every morning).
Old 10-30-2023, 10:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justputt View Post
There are some basic things being forgotten on both sides of the discussion. Think about our golf cart EV vs ICE discussions. There are maintenance costs with ICE that don't exist with EV (tune-up, breaks, oil, belts, etc.). Our EV cart batteries will need replacement every 5-7 years at a cost of about $4k for my 210Ah. The manager of the golf carts of the villages says they have NEVER replaced a battery in a golf cart in the seven years they've been selling them. Tesla battery replacement is $5-$20k. Elon Musk explained that Tesla car batteries should last for 300,000 to 500,000 miles or 1,500 battery charge cycles. That's between 22 and 37 years for the average car driver, who, according to the Department of Transportation (DOT), drives 13,476 miles per year.The current cost of a battery is around $160/kWh, which puts a Model Y @ $12k and Models X&S around $16k. I think current car EV battery warranty still around 8 years & 100k miles. I don't know if there is or will be disposal costs for old batteries since they are hazmat. So, basic math, $16k/100,000 miles is 16 cents per mile just for the battery and not including charging. AGAIN Elon Musk explained that Tesla car batteries should last for 300,000 to 500,000 miles Per Energysage.com "Across all models, Tesla's cost slightly less than 5 cents per mile to charge". Per policygenius.com "On average, insurance for an electric car is $44 per month more expensive than the cost of insuring a gas-powered car." So, $44x12months/12,000 miles per year = ~4 cents/mile. Now we're up to 25 cents per mile. Average gas price today in FL is $3.67 and if you can get 25mpg, that translates to about 15 cents per mile. Per Consumeraffairs.com my Chevy annual maintenance and repairs is $649 > $649/12,000 miles = ~5 cents/mile. So, for ICE, we're at 20 cents/mile. So, EV seems to cost more per mile to drive. Next, range ICE is the clear winner. Hot and cold climates, towing, and mountains, ICE is the clear winner. Both climate extremes significantly impact battery performance and hotter climates impact the life expectancy of batteries, even if just sitting out in summer sun. Additionally, the use of Fast Chargers reduces battery life. Per energy5.com "Degradation- Fast charging can cause the battery to degrade faster over time. I did a word search for "degradation" on this website and surprise surprise nothing showed up! This means you will have to replace your battery more often. Heat- Fast charging can cause the battery to heat up quickly. This can be a problem if your car is not equipped to handle it." Tesla Super Chargers are Class 3. Lastly, at the end of the EV's battery life, will there even be a replacement for your model? See this story: Florida Family Discovers That Used Electric Vehicles Are a Risk Not Worth Assuming - autoevolution . Bottom line, ICE cars can run for as long as gas fuel exists in the world. EVs, when the battery dies, you risk having one REALLY expensive hazmat boat anchor.
There's an old saying… Liars figure and figures lie.
Old 10-30-2023, 11:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Please show us this report......
Closed Thread

Tags
operate, cost, thought, expensive, knew

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.