Do you think that truth can ever be the new trend.

Closed Thread
Old 09-08-2023, 03:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,341 Times in 4,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
And how do you express "free thinking" except through written or spoken words!

Critical thinking is very much alive on our college campuses. And it comes from asking questions especially during class discussions.
If you dare question the "authority" ie Professors, you risk failing the class...

Student Slams Prof Who Gave Her Zero For Using 'Biological Women

College student kicked out of class for telling professor there are only two genders | Fox News

Williams College student government rejects pro-Israel group

You can keep repeating the same false narrative, it doesn't make your assertion true...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-08-2023, 03:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbomaybe View Post
I do not understand how In the atmosphere of a college/university where a guest speaker in allowed to be shouted down if allowed to speak at all a student would not feel more than a little concerned if not intimidated. That voicing any like or similar opinions they would receive the same treatment. That they would be targeted, castigated. This in a situation where they live and work day to day and not just a visiting speaker.Please help me understand you logic and reasoning.
Oh, and it was a Law School class...

Stanford Law School Student Hooligans Shout Down Federal Judge – California Globe

An administrator was called to help quiet things down, and she egged on the protestors...

"The shouting became so loud that Duncan asked for an administrator to keep order, according to the video. Tirien Steinbach, the law school’s associate dean for diversity, equity and inclusion, took to the microphone and gave a speech that accused Duncan of causing “harm.”

“Do you have something so incredibly important to say,” she asked him, that it is worth the “division of these people?”

Anyone care to explain to me how this is an "exchange of ideas that is very much alive on campus"?

-Tom Petty
Old 09-08-2023, 03:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
You have an anti gay rights speaker at a University. The students are going to use their FREE SPEECH to express their disapproval.

How Princeton Students Responded to an Anti-Gay Speaker on Campus | Teen Vogue

Pitt students petition university to cancel "transphobic" speaker events | LGBTQ | Pittsburgh | Pittsburgh City Paper
Oh, NOW it's a FREE SPEECH issue, when before you claimed it was something different...

"The First Amendment is about the government not being allowed to censor speech not about a private institution doing that."

So much for that "Honest Debate" you claim is so prevalent on campus...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-09-2023, 01:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post

Stanford Law School Student Hooligans Shout Down Federal Judge – California Globe

An administrator was called to help quiet things down, and she egged on the protestors...

"The shouting became so loud that Duncan asked for an administrator to keep order, according to the video. Tirien Steinbach, the law school’s associate dean for diversity, equity and inclusion, took to the microphone and gave a speech that accused Duncan of causing “harm.”

“Do you have something so incredibly important to say,” she asked him, that it is worth the “division of these people?”

Anyone care to explain to me how this is an "exchange of ideas that is very much alive on campus"?
The new way of teaching is "don't make anyone upset." I read my nephew's college term paper. He has to take extraordinary measures to make certain a pronoun is not used incorrectly. Colleges take the meaning of harm to a whole new level. He is very much restricted in what he can say and write.

Example: I just wrote: He is very much restricted in what he can say and write. Fail! This statement would imply that he alone is being restricted.

He has to write something like. The college holds each of their students accountable for their speech and written word. Nope! Fail! This would imply the college does not hold its staff and administrators accountable only the students.

He says it gets easier with more and more practice but has to reread what he wrote over and over to make certain a pronoun harms no one.

Maybe a silly slip-up caused the uproar on that campus?

Last edited by margaretmattson; 09-09-2023 at 02:52 AM.
Old 09-09-2023, 04:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,477 Times in 2,556 Posts

Talking of pronouns, up to the age of twelve, I though my name was "Oi you."
Old 09-09-2023, 04:03 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

Phantasies have to be very well protected as they fall apart under little examination, certainly any discussion has to be curtailed , the words and language used have to be such as to not allow or suggest any question lest the phantasies start to unravel, likewise if you question basic assumptions you must have some sort of phobia and are so described and characterized , there by discredited
Old 09-09-2023, 04:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Talking of pronouns, up to the age of twelve, I though my name was "Oi you."
A supervisor of mine always called me"Hey, you!" And my coworker's name was " And, you too!" Never once did he use our names.
Old 09-09-2023, 04:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
A supervisor of mine always called me"Hey, you!" And my coworker's name was " And, you too!" Never once did he use our names.
When I worked for a custom home builder for a few summers while in college, my boss called me "TDWBA" when I didn't know what he was talking about or if I screwed up (which thankfully became less and less often...)

Oh, what did the acronym mean? "The Dumbest White Boy Alive"...

When I finally quit to go to Med School, he told me if it didn't work out, I'd always have a job with him... I guess I got smarter...

-Tom Petty
Old 09-10-2023, 12:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
When I worked for a custom home builder for a few summers while in college, my boss called me "TDWBA" when I didn't know what he was talking about or if I screwed up (which thankfully became less and less often...)

Oh, what did the acronym mean? "The Dumbest White Boy Alive"...

When I finally quit to go to Med School, he told me if it didn't work out, I'd always have a job with him... I guess I got smarter...
Sometimes, acting dumb is the smartest thing one can do.

Last edited by margaretmattson; 09-10-2023 at 01:29 AM.
Old 09-10-2023, 06:59 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by margaretmattson View Post
Sometimes, acting dumb is the smartest thing one can do.
Sadly, it wasn't an act. I knew NOTHING about construction when I started (I was a gopher...). But, I'm a fast learner and by Summer's end, I was installing door knobs and locks, helping with finish trim, pretty much everything but electric... They didn't trust me THAT much!

I was the "punch list" guy. I went around the "almost finished" homes, looking for problems. I could tell, just by looking if some molding was 1/8" off, or if the drywall wasn't right, or if something was crooked... It tapped into my OCD perfectly!

It got to the point where they told be to stop looking so hard! The subs weren't very happy with me...

To this day, I'll walk around the house, straightening pictures...

-Tom Petty
Closed Thread

Tags
google, check, doubt, friend, trend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.