Police are human beings

Closed Thread
Old 09-05-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Given your ridiculous scenario, I totally blame the cop. Here is a law abiding citizen who is mistreated by someone who is sworn to protect him because he can't see beyond skin color. Then give up your badge and become a commenter on TOTV. The cop is given special rights and special protection and special treatment and special honors and is still a racist in your scenario.

All of you who say this is just fine, it is human nature are exactly the same people who claim there is not such thing as white privilege. Yet you are presented a simple clear example of white privilege and defend it, even think it is completely reasonable. After all, those blacks are criminals and thugs and rapists and murderers and druggies and so they and anyone who shares their skin color deserves what they get.

Even if the driver in your little thought experiment is a former convicted felon he deserves to be treated with respect and exactly the same as any lily white driver unless he is at the time he is stopped committing a crime. Period.
You are, of course, exactly right, but this is the villages, home to 100k+ white privileged (don’t read rich or hard working) elders. I was taught to respect authority, although the 60s did influence that. Police, like most, are very fine individuals. Unfortunately, most now come from brief stints in the military with combat training. Many have a desire to wear a uniform, shoot a gun and feel more superior than their position warrants. This attitude is encouraged by training and culture (the blue line).

We are racists. Some more than others, but racist nonetheless. Just a few days ago, a mentor at the charter school was walking around the school waiting for her student to be let out. Sure enough, the police showed up demanding to know her reason for being there.

A few years ago, my Johns Hopkins educated son-in-law, a world class triathlete, was training in our village. A neighbor warned me noting that he had called the SCSO asking for increased patrols. Oh yes, my son-in-law’s family hails from Barbados and thus is dark skinned.

If all you watched were Fox News, you would believe there is only rioting and looting. The truth is almost all local demonstrators are peaceful. Those few agitators should obviously be the subject of police action, but repeatedly the law and order mentality, with all the training and firepower takes over.

Finally, the tragic death of a black man just released from the hospital naked on the streets was not treated like the mentally disturbed person he was but like some wild, vicious animal. Despite having been subdued and handcuffed, he was hooded, his head pressed against the pavement. It is exactly for these interactions that the poorly named Defund Police movement is designed to address. Trained social workers rather than trained police would have gandered this encounter differently.

Let’s support law enforcement while not tolerating police abuse of power. We can do both.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:26 AM

Has anyone ever been killed for NOT resisting the police? Asking for a friend
Old 09-05-2020, 08:38 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,140 Times in 1,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alk1939 View Post
Has anyone ever been killed for NOT resisting the police? Asking for a friend
None known, but I'm sure somebody can create this hate.
Old 09-05-2020, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Suppose a black man grows up in a good family, gets a good education, gets a good job, gets married, and has a few children. He never breaks the law, never gets arrested, and is a good family man. One day, he is pulled over by a white police officer and is not treated in the same way that the police officer would normally treat a white man. But, the black man obeys the police, shows his valid license and registration, and is eventually released, even though he feels like he should have been treated with more respect. Who should he blame? The police officer because he is obviously a racist? Maybe. But, how about placing at least some of the blame on the disproportionate number of black men who did not follow the same law abiding course in life, and had some influence on the police officer's perception about life. Police officers are supposed to follow a standard procedure, but they are only human.
Why was he pulled over? Was his crime "driving while Black." NO ONE should be pulled over and stopped by the police without a valid reason. I will not accept that he should be pulled over because of the number of crimes committed by Black people. Whites probably commit as many crimes, they just get away with it. Whites can afford more expensive lawyers; commit white collar crimes, about which we don't always hear; and people don't call the police because a white person walks past their house after dark, as they might if that same person were Black. There are many dedicated wonderful police officers; however, there seems to be a lack of sensitivity, and there appears to be actin of racism by some officers.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:04 AM
Default Thugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get real View Post
Suppose a white man grows up in a good family, gets a good education, gets a good job, gets married, and has a few children. He never breaks the law, never gets arrested, and is a good family man. One day, he is beaten by black thugs, just for fun, while they use racial slurs. They all have extensive criminal histories. The police track down the thugs but the animals are never charged with a hate crime. Who should he blame? The police officer because they are obviously racist? The thug animals because they are just misunderstood and expressing their first amendment rights and peacefully protesting "something"? The racist "system" because blacks are given a pass from hate crimes? But, how about placing at least some of the blame on the disproportionate number of dirty politicians who pander to criminals and are hypocrites. Sorry liberals...it is true,
Please stop using the FoxNews dog whistle terms like "thugs" and "animals", it doesn't help make your case it only makes the reader understand that you're a Tucker Carlton viewer and probably hold racist beliefs. Do some research on "sundown" and Jim crow laws. Sundown laws were enacted in small cities/towns throughout the country to keep African American out, it you were black and caught in the city or town you where either lynched or arrested and then forced to work city projects until your debt was paid off, which typically included additional costs for your room and board and meals in jail, which only extended your forced labor. These African Americans where killed or forced to work only because they were caught in city/town limits after sundown. While I'm sure that many of "Nice" people in the Villages are thinking, "well maybe we should go back to them laws, and Make America Great Again!" I can assure you we are not!

Get your head out of Fox News and watch a movie like Hidden Figures.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Negro2.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	86126   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Negro1.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	86127  
Old 09-05-2020, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcooper70 View Post
Your headline is perfect ... and then you explain why the police are justified in their treating blacks and whites differently.

My friend's dark skinned son drives his Mercedes through Washington DC and gets pulled over every two to three blocks ... and you are saying "understandable"?

You excuse the actions .... and explain the actions .... how do you feel about it?
So glad you brought this point up. This happens every day in cities throughout the U.S.. My adopted mix raced son, who attended the best private schools and a well known private University was continually pulled over in his teens, and when they could find nothing, was given tickets for not having a bag for trash in his vehicle. This was always thrown out in court, but we could add up over 32 tickets for this, this was after he was asked to get out of the car, the car searched and nothing found. He was pulled over for being a minority driving a BMW, no other reason. He was always respectful, but also always felt humiliated. He is now a CFO of a tech company and continues to be pulled over a few times a month, nothing found and "let go". Really, this needs to end.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:24 AM
Send a message via AIM to newgirl

Wow, this thread shows just how white this area is. Sad.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,740 Times in 3,199 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaguey48 View Post
If you are stopped by the police for a traffic violation, do this:

1- Don't admit to anything.
2- Keep Your mouth shut. Don't argue. Obey his/her instructions and be respectful
3- Keep your hands on the wheel
4- Turn off the engine
5- If at night, turn the cabin lights on.
Go to court if you don't agree with the officer. It's better than going to jail.

How hard is that?
1: Cop asks "do you know how fast you were going?"
2: Keep your mouth shut.
2: Cop says "Answer me!" obey the orders of the police.
2: Keep your mouth shut.
You are about to turn the cabin light on when the cop says "put your hands on the wheel!" So you can just forget about #5.

If you say "I don't know how fast I was going, officer." you will be accused of distracted driving (since you should've been paying attention). If you admit to speeding, you will be admitting that you violated the law, and that you knew you were violating it. If you say you were going under the speed limit (or at it) you will be arguing with the police, who pulled you over for speeding.

Since when do the rules have to be different for black people than it is for white people? Answer: since black people are held to different standards. As a white person I know I can say "I don't know how fast I was going Officer, but I definitely wasn't going faster than the guy ahead of me in the white volvo." And I won't get arrested, or threatened for being argumentative, or anything of the sort. I also know if I'm black and say the same thing, they're more likely to look for something wrong with the car so they can tack on more violations.

That is how it is.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:32 AM

Sorry can't believe he gets pulled over every two or three blocks
Old 09-05-2020, 09:43 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,229 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
Those who cry "discrimination" promote being discriminated!!

May I extrapolate from this statement that the same thing would have been said to and about the suffragettes, 100 years ago?

Sincerely,
Susan B. Boomer
Old 09-05-2020, 10:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,075 Times in 1,039 Posts

BTW, re: several posts here: Has anyone here ever seen 'Wag the Dog'?
Old 09-05-2020, 10:15 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Your headline is perfect ... and then you explain why the police are justified in their treating blacks and whites differently.

My friend's dark skinned son drives his Mercedes through Washington DC and gets pulled over every two to three blocks ... and you are saying "understandable"?

You excuse the actions .... and explain the actions .... how do you feel about it?
His getting pulled over is based on probabilities and I don't blame the police.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,683 Times in 1,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgirl View Post
Wow, this thread shows just how white this area is. Sad.
"Sad" because folks are white? Is that supposed to make folks feel guilty? Why? What is wrong with being white, black, red or yellow?
NO! One should only feel guilty for how they treat someone, not what they look like and how someone else perceives them. One is not guilty of being a racist, based only on their color.
Old 09-05-2020, 10:34 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,234 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:

Gets stopped every two or three blocks? There aren't that many cops in DC. Your credibility just went to zero.
Old 09-05-2020, 11:05 AM

Some white cops are pricks has nothing to do with race
Being a cops a tough job a life and death job very high stress and generally they deal with the dregs of society criminals.
Blacks also been conditioned to believe their victims by media and politicians, this doesn’t help.
Believing you’re a victim means nothing is ever your fault for your poor decisions.
It allows everything to be blamed on racism, when it’s not.
Blaming everything on racism Is very addictive like a drug.
Closed Thread

Tags
police, good, man, black, officer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.