Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2020, 04:56 AM
Veteran member
Default Yes we will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
Wow. No warning.
May she rest in peace.
I'm not thinking we'll see a replacement before Jan. 20. 2021.
I think we will have a nomination on Monday. President Trump was initially elected on the grounds that he will get Constitutional conservative Justices appointed to the Supreme Court and he has 112 days to get his third Justice appointed. It WILL happen.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:03 AM
Veteran member
Default That is not correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladygolfer93 View Post
Regardless, it is going to be very ugly, just when we thought it could not get more contentious ! In less than an hour and her dying words to her grand daughter are already made public.... "My greatest wish is NOT to be replaced by this president". Such an accomplished woman, honest to HER beliefs no matter if you lean liberal or conservative, she was seemingly honest and no one can deny what she has done for equal opportunities for women while obviously a devoted spouse and mother. Who in this day admits when they made a mistake in a vote like she has said publicly on some issues. No one ! But, as sharp a mind as she had to the end, she certainly knew what her dying words would bring about, no doubt of that. This is going to be ugly, our poor country, our poor people, we all suffer no matter which way you lean !
Those were not her dying words. She did say them, but it was several days before she passed.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:17 AM
Default Good

Quote:
Regardless, it is going to be very ugly, just when we thought it could not get more contentious ! In less than an hour and her dying words to her grand daughter are already made public.... "My greatest wish is NOT to be replaced by this president". Such an accomplished woman, honest to HER beliefs no matter if you lean liberal or conservative, she was seemingly honest and no one can deny what she has done for equal opportunities for women while obviously a devoted spouse and mother. Who in this day admits when they made a mistake in a vote like she has said publicly on some issues. No one ! But, as sharp a mind as she had to the end, she certainly knew what her dying words would bring about, no doubt of that. This is going to be ugly, our poor country, our poor people, we all suffer no matter which way you lean !
If those were her last words, then it shows she was biased. Thought judges were supposed to be impartial.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:26 AM

Quote:
her dying words to her grand daughter are already made public.... "My greatest wish is NOT to be replaced by this president
Saddest thing I’ve ever heard in my life. Worrying about her JOB! HER JOB!!!!

Always heard it said that “no one ever says on their deathbed that they wish they spent more time at work”. Who knew?
Old 09-19-2020, 05:27 AM

She hung on when near death's door several times to try to make sure another president would replace her with someone equally committed to unfettered access to abortion. She did as much as any to conflate women's health, equality and ability to terminate the unborn so that today, politicians routinely speak them as much the same thing.

This will take the headlines quickly and totally and Wuhan virus will move into the background. First will come the praise pieces, comparing her to saints and giants. Next, the knives will come out for the nominees to replace her. Finally, the scheming and the plotting will begin. As we started off 2020 with the spectacle of impeachment, we will end it with the warfare of a SCOTUS bloodbath alongside an election/coup plotting battle for months, violence in the streets and assorted hysteria and mayhem.

I recommend prayer.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,180 Times in 5,401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBrutyle109 View Post
If those were her last words, then it shows she was biased. Thought judges were supposed to be impartial.
Apparently the words judges and impartiality do not quite work together
Old 09-19-2020, 05:56 AM

Enough said on this issue, she is gone and we move on. RIP Ruth. to some she was a hero and to others she wasn’t
Old 09-19-2020, 06:12 AM
Default Fair’s Fair

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
Monday would be good with me.
McConnell blocked Obama’s pick.... how about he abide by his stated reason for doing that now.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:13 AM

amen
Old 09-19-2020, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslices1 View Post
I think we will have a nomination on Monday. President Trump was initially elected on the grounds that he will get Constitutional conservative Justices appointed to the Supreme Court and he has 112 days to get his third Justice appointed. It WILL happen.
If McConnell meant what he said and forced through for Obama's pick, then he’s a hypocrite if he tries to push a nomination through so close to the election.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
I knew she had a lot of issues but she certainly rallied through them all. I didn't hear her situation was grave (which was my point).
Trust me... Trump can nominate anyone. It's never going to happen. After what Kavanaugh went through.... never going to happen. Trump could nominate Mother Theresa and it wouldn't happen.
I think it will happen ... and fast. With the divisiveness in this country, and so many issues headed to the supremes, I think he will nominate and will get approved fast. Republicans still control the senate. Regardless of what Kavanaugh went through, they could do this in a day or two. Unprecedented? yes. Impossible? no.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:25 AM
Veteran member

Regardless of your political opinion she was an inspirational figure. RBG excelled at a time when being a woman and Jewish were significant barriers to success in the legal profession. Despite several personal tragedies and family demands, she eventually graduated first in her law class at Cornell University.

However, if a new conservative appointment to the Supreme Court is successful, her memory will be tarnished for many of her erstwhile admirers. She put her personal ambition ahead of the interest of the leftwing of the this country by not retiring under the President Obama's administration when her health was in serious decline.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,524 Times in 1,916 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Ruth Bader Ginsburg was small in stature but strong in her beliefs. She was a highly intelligent woman who championed women's rights and changed the legal framework of this country. Many people looked up to her and honor her now in death.

She made people listen by using her training and her power. She changed her world and ours too.

I did not agree with her often and our politics didn't mesh but she deserves to be remembered as a strong, smart woman who believed in her goals and loved this country.

May she find peace and her family solace. She was an American hero.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
"Senate Republicans have promised to try to fill the vacancy even in the waning days of his first term. The confirmation battle, in the middle of a pandemic and a presidential election, is sure to be titanic."

"In 2016, Senate Republicans refused to consider President Barack Obama’s nomination of Judge Merrick B. Garland, saying that holding hearings in the last year of a president’s term would deprive voters of a role in the process."

----------------------

"With the election less than two month away, McConnell said the Senate would act to fill the vacancy, even though he spent most of 2016 denying a confirmation hearing to President Barack Obama’s pick to fill a vacancy on the high court."

McConnell Vows Quick Vote on Trump Pick to Fill Ginsburg Seat
No end to the hypocrisy. Never ceases to amaze. Let the games begin.
Old 09-19-2020, 06:32 AM
Veteran member
Default Wrong thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruralgoddess View Post
If McConnell meant what he said and forced through for Obama's pick, then he’s a hypocrite if he tries to push a nomination through so close to the election.
McConnell didn’t put through Merrick Garland’s nomination, because the majority in the Senate was Republican with a Democrat President making the nomination. With a Republican President and a Republican Senate it will happen. The rule only applies when the parties are different.
Closed Thread

Tags
ruth, ginsburg

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.