Hilltop snd Chula Vista

Closed Thread
Old 09-16-2021, 09:08 PM
Default Hilltop snd Chula Vista

I have been golfing for almost 50 years. I have played golf on three continents and I love the game, respect the course and the architect and I was at one time an assistant superintendent.
I can safely say that putting at these two courses in the past two weeks is similar to putting on a giant waffle iron.
They are awe full and perhaps leaving them long from the heat, but my goodness, they are long, super slow, have mixed plants on them and just overall not qualified as golf greens.
Old 09-17-2021, 05:36 AM

Agreed
I understand they get a little different type of play. People who are learning and don’t realize they have to fill divots, fix ball marks and pick up their feet on the greens. That doesn’t mean the course shouldn’t be at least in decent condition. While we are at it..........there’s a few championship courses that could be better. Played OBH Tuesday, it had been over a month since.the greens were done....they were terrible. Who the hell does the work?
Old 09-17-2021, 08:29 AM

Comments are so true!
Old 09-17-2021, 08:29 AM

comments are so true!
Old 09-17-2021, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts

People need to have realistic expectations for executive golf. It is what it is, free golf on 9 hole courses that are mostly par 3’s. It is not real golf played on Championship courses, it is for fun, practice, and casual golfing. My wife and I enjoy playing the various executive courses and are never dissatisfied because our expectations are reasonable. The only thing I dislike about the executives is that it takes a couple of holes to get the putting touch back when playing a Championship course after playing the executives, but that’s why the Championship courses have practice greens. Golf on : )
Old 09-17-2021, 09:35 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
People need to have realistic expectations for executive golf. It is what it is, free golf on 9 hole courses that are mostly par 3’s. It is not real golf played on Championship courses, it is for fun, practice, and casual golfing. My wife and I enjoy playing the various executive courses and are never dissatisfied because our expectations are reasonable. The only thing I dislike about the executives is that it takes a couple of holes to get the putting touch back when playing a Championship course after playing the executives, but that’s why the Championship courses have practice greens. Golf on : )
I would submit that the executive courses are not free. We pay for their use in our amenity fee and trail fee. I do agree that I don't expect them to be top quality courses and because I am a casual golfer they usually suit me.

Occasionally they get in poor shape and that should demand attention from the staff. The poor conditions I do see are the result of poor maintenance or overuse - not the golfers.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 09-17-2021, 10:05 AM

Leave The Villages and try to find a golf course that’s free as good as all around quality as here. Even out of The Villages golf courses ( our Championship) don’t even come close to what The Villages courses offer. If you are that good, maybe The Villages isn’t for you!!!!!!!!
Old 09-17-2021, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,349 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNET View Post
Leave The Villages and try to find a golf course that’s free as good as all around quality as here. Even out of The Villages golf courses ( our Championship) don’t even come close to what The Villages courses offer. If you are that good, maybe The Villages isn’t for you!!!!!!!!

The executive courses are without doubt value for money, but free they are not.
Even non golfers pay towards their upkeep.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:44 AM
Veteran member

We played Amberwood exec course last week the cups on every green had been gouged edges seemingly from golfers using their putters to retrieve their ball. If one cannot bend over to retrieve their ball , buy a hoop for the end of your putter. The gouging caused several putts to rim out, and then there are ball marks and unraked sand a little golf courtesy is needed.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:01 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
We played Amberwood exec course last week the cups on every green had been gouged edges seemingly from golfers using their putters to retrieve their ball. If one cannot bend over to retrieve their ball , buy a hoop for the end of your putter. The gouging caused several putts to rim out, and then there are ball marks and unraked sand a little golf courtesy is needed.
I've noticed the same on cups in many of the courses. Putters gouge the hell out of the lining of the holes.
Old 09-18-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-2-56 View Post
I have been golfing for almost 50 years. I have played golf on three continents and I love the game, respect the course and the architect and I was at one time an assistant superintendent.
I can safely say that putting at these two courses in the past two weeks is similar to putting on a giant waffle iron.
They are awe full and perhaps leaving them long from the heat, but my goodness, they are long, super slow, have mixed plants on them and just overall not qualified as golf greens.
I hear so much complaining about the courses here, and I don’t quite understand. I think some forget that Mother Nature has a lot to do with golf. Yes, greens keepers, too, but Mother Nature is the biggest factor of the game…. Distressed greens or tees, tree branches, tree roots, a gopher hole, roughs not mowed, moisture or no, it’s all part of the game!

I’ve played Pinehurst, NC Country Club courses in worst shape (of course not #2, but green fees for that course are $495 this month!). You want to play on that level of a course? You gotta pay for it.

We had another course in NC called Tobacco Road, a course made out of a sand quarry. Basically a turkey shoot, redneck course, but people came from all over and would pay $80 green fees to play it. That’s half a months amenity fee, here. We have some great courses in The Villages, both executive and championship (some better on some days, some not).

Swing, or go home.
Old 09-18-2021, 05:30 PM

Again, maybe your too good to golf there
Old 09-18-2021, 06:10 PM
Platinum member

Biggesst problem on these two coursses and others is that greens need to be re done and made bigger. Bigger greens will create less wear and tear on the greens. We play Walnut Grove and Briarwood a lot and their greens are in very good shape and large. Look at 1st hole on Hilltop. Green is very small and from back tees it is 150 yards long.

TV needs to close them down for 1 summer and re work the greens.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNET View Post
It’s not free and never has been. Paid for with amenity fee and maintenance.
Go somewhere else comment not needed.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:39 AM

Thanks for all the comments. A week or two ago, TV asked for specific comments, good or bad about the golf courses. I had one and I gave it. I want to also add that I am one of those obnoxious individuals who compliments employees and businesses on a regular basis. It is easy to complain, more difficult to find benefit!
I did not want to appear to be complaining, though I guess that it came off that way, apologies for that. What I was offering was constructive criticism which was solicited.
Closed Thread

Tags
long, putting, golf, full, hilltop

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.