USGA details issues facing golf course conditions

Old 05-11-2024, 11:52 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,178 Times in 781 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
The article mentions increased humidity in the air and increased clouds. I hate to say it but that is the big picture called planet warming. Increased CO2 from vehicle tailpipes cause this problem, which no one wants to talk about or about the OBVIOUS solution. I think it is almost humorous that it takes an expert to come here to talk about what scientists say is happening worldwide. And it keeps increasing for the last 5 years. They might as well have given me the MONEY for the consulting.
I know I'm going to regret this, but you deserve a forum for your ideas, like anyone else.

I'm with you on CO2 from tail pipes, especially inefficient gas golf carts in a confined environment like TV. I'm all in on Electric Golf Carts.

So how do you propose we generate the electricity, to power all those EV's and prevent them from spewing all that CO2 into the atmosphere?
Old 05-11-2024, 11:54 AM
Gold member

Quote:
If planet warming continues (which it will) the only grass that would be completely resistant would be Astro (artificial) TURF. And , at least, it would NOT require water and fertilizer. "Walking only" is probably a good idea but that won't stop the additional humidity and the increased cloudy days, which the "EXPERT" said was the major problem.
Let us all know when you want to be taken seriously.....

Synthetic Turf is HAZARDOUS — Beyond Plastics - Working To End Single-Use Plastic Pollution
Old 05-11-2024, 12:11 PM

Go nuclear!
Old 05-11-2024, 12:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,920 Times in 1,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
One has to admire your dedication to your cause.

I'd be all in on astro-turf golf courses, other than the nasty chemicals used to create that stuff are driving the earth's temperature through the roof already. I was thinking of going back up north for a while, but I just checked. The temperature at my home in NH is a sweltering 55 degrees today. Damn global warming.
I said that about Astro Turf for the greens, not the whole fairways. And maybe better for par 3s. Maybe computer golf for the fairway shots and then outside to use Astro Turf-type grass greens or real grass greens. That would definitely cut down on the wheel traffic damage while playing golf. Actually there are some studies that link baseball players playing for years on Astro Turf to brain cancer. So, it seems like there would FIRST need to be found a plastic grass carpet that did NOT give off any harmful chemicals into the air.
.....I merely tried to add to the discussion things that I am familiar with like the science of the change in climate and how it could affect even such an unlikely thing as golf course conditions. But, remember that Florida is special. It is an island surrounded by HOT water. And that affects Florida climate, which affects Florida golf course grass.
.........It seems that many golfing experts have many different solutions to the change in golf course grass. Strangely one solution that was proposed (but said to NOT be possible to implement) was to keep the golf carts off the course and only allow walking. Strangely, the reduced use of GAS golf carts would have a double advantage because of less weight on the grass AND less CO2, which HOLDS in the reflected Solar HEAT.
Old 05-11-2024, 01:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
I know I'm going to regret this, but you deserve a forum for your ideas, like anyone else.

I'm with you on CO2 from tail pipes, especially inefficient gas golf carts in a confined environment like TV. I'm all in on Electric Golf Carts.

So how do you propose we generate the electricity, to power all those EV's and prevent them from spewing all that CO2 into the atmosphere?
Easily. The idea is that it is better to control pollution at one big, STATIONARY power generating plant than to control it on the moving vehicles and golf carts. Golf Carts have no catalytic converters to reduce pollution, but at the stationary ELECTRIC power generating plants they have HUGE CAPABILITY to stop air pollution.
........I just read that now today, California can generate ALL its power through CLEAN ENERGY. So, I don't just PROPOSE something - Ca. is proving that it can WORK. And in the near future better, and better batteries will be developed. The only thing that prevents this from happening nationwide is that the DYING OIL production conglomerate will fight progress tooth and nail. Already they have succeeded in having US major automobile manufacturers cut back on production of E-vehicles. I can only HOPE that small car manufacturers step in and produce more E-vehicles and E-golf carts.
........Oh, and I expect to hear jokes and guffaws about ANYTHING positive to be said about California. so bring that good stuff on!
Old 05-11-2024, 01:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipping up to Boston View Post
True, I did catch myself in that mistake about Astro Turf. Maybe a more healthy substitute can be developed.
Old 05-11-2024, 01:26 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,178 Times in 781 Posts

Quote:

.........It seems that many golfing experts have many different solutions to the change in golf course grass. Strangely one solution that was proposed (but said to NOT be possible to implement) was to keep the golf carts off the course and only allow walking. Strangely, the reduced use of GAS golf carts would have a double advantage because of less weight on the grass AND less CO2, which HOLDS in the reflected Solar HEAT.
I'm with you! I hate to admit publicly, but I'm with you on that one.
Old 05-11-2024, 04:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,339 Posts

Quote:

The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 05-11-2024, 04:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teed_Off View Post
Go nuclear!
I'm waiting until these are available for golf carts...

The Villages Florida

-Tom Petty
Old 05-11-2024, 04:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Easily. The idea is that it is better to control pollution at one big, STATIONARY power generating plant than to control it on the moving vehicles and golf carts. Golf Carts have no catalytic converters to reduce pollution, but at the stationary ELECTRIC power generating plants they have HUGE CAPABILITY to stop air pollution.
........I just read that now today, California can generate ALL its power through CLEAN ENERGY. So, I don't just PROPOSE something - Ca. is proving that it can WORK. And in the near future better, and better batteries will be developed. The only thing that prevents this from happening nationwide is that the DYING OIL production conglomerate will fight progress tooth and nail. Already they have succeeded in having US major automobile manufacturers cut back on production of E-vehicles. I can only HOPE that small car manufacturers step in and produce more E-vehicles and E-golf carts.
........Oh, and I expect to hear jokes and guffaws about ANYTHING positive to be said about California. so bring that good stuff on!
Then why isn't CA doing it? Why the constant brown outs and instruction NOT to charge your EVs when home, in the evening?

Maybe nowhere near enough power available?

-Tom Petty
Old 05-11-2024, 04:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Too bad what he said was nonsense...

From thr Google machine" "Batteries can add weight up to 400 pounds! The final weight can depend on how many batteries the golf cart has and the weight of each battery. For instance, a gas-powered golf cart can weigh less than a battery-powered cart. It all depends on the cart; however, in general, a gas-powered golf cart tends to weigh less."

-Tom Petty
Old 05-11-2024, 06:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Thank you. I won't tell anyone that you agreed with me. It can stay a secret.
Old 05-11-2024, 08:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,240 Times in 2,819 Posts

Anything not electric is killing our planet and global warming is a disaster. I’m taking that stance because the last time I attempted to correct a moron I had to spend a month in the penalty box.
Old 05-11-2024, 09:18 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Anything not electric is killing our planet and global warming is a disaster. I’m taking that stance because the last time I attempted to correct a moron I had to spend a month in the penalty box.
Wow. And I’ve been quietly complaining that I get the ‘Otis the Drunk’ (Andy Griffith Show) treatment with my little nuggets of wisdom on here. A month?! Where are those threads?
Old 05-12-2024, 05:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,648 Times in 964 Posts

Quote:
I said that about Astro Turf for the greens, not the whole fairways. And maybe better for par 3s. Maybe computer golf for the fairway shots and then outside to use Astro Turf-type grass greens or real grass greens. That would definitely cut down on the wheel traffic damage while playing golf. Actually there are some studies that link baseball players playing for years on Astro Turf to brain cancer. So, it seems like there would FIRST need to be found a plastic grass carpet that did NOT give off any harmful chemicals into the air.
.....I merely tried to add to the discussion things that I am familiar with like the science of the change in climate and how it could affect even such an unlikely thing as golf course conditions. But, remember that Florida is special. It is an island surrounded by HOT water. And that affects Florida climate, which affects Florida golf course grass.
I’d rather have the temperatures rise 0.5 degrees than Glioblastoma (brain cancer)
Artificial turf potentially linked to cancer deaths of six Phillies ball players – report | Cancer | The Guardian

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.