Golfers, please stay out of the garden

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperhead View Post
Living on a golf course implies that one should expect golf balls on their property, not golfers.
Well said, and its in the rule book and in the paper, DO NOT RETRIEVE GOLF BALLS ON PRIVATE PROPERTY.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:13 PM
Gold member

Do all the Ambassadors on the different courses remind the players to keep out of residents yards? Maybe a reminder at the beginning of play would help.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:27 PM
Gold member
Default You are not allowed to go on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I agree.

I'm the golfer who..............if I hit it into a yard, and it's sitting there in the grass in plain sight I will retrieve it (I hate to think about the lawnmower firing a ball into a window, person, or pet). But if I don't see it, I will leave it. But, But..........if there is a sign, I will do what is wished.
else's property to retrieve a poorly hit golf shot...and a mower flinging the ball is not only unlikely, but a poor excuse for trespassing.

The village rules(as the rules for this most everywhere)state that you are not allowed to get your ball from someones lawn/property...unfortunately there are many others who have no respect for others property so you see it all the time...a shame that some adults can not obey even the simple rules...
Old 03-07-2015, 09:34 PM
Veteran member

We've lived on a course for several years and what happens never ceases to amaze. A few highlights: one afternoon a 3 foot hole of broken branches appeared in our 5 foot high azalea bushes, someone apparently fell in (but thank goodness, we were never sued for not having handrails); at least twice a year several feet of bedding flowers have been trampled or crushed by people falling over or rummaging thru trying to retrieve a ball (again no handrails); one day while sitting in the lanai a golfer came over and asked if we had a step ladder he could" quickly borrow" to retrieve a ball from the neighbor's gutter (it's true, no lie!); and the best is the guy driving his golf cart between the houses and into the front lawn looking for his ball: when confronted he stated his disability golf sticker allowed him to go anywhere. Our front yard is 75 yards from the fairway. I'd be pretty embarrassed if I missed the golf course by that much. I guess you can't fix stupid!
One thing we noticed, Winter golfers are much worse and disrespectful of property and property lines than the Summer golfers. In the winter we always have a few divots taken out of our back yard where people have played them where they lie, irrespective of where the out of bonds markers are.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
We've lived on a course for several years and what happens never ceases to amaze. A few highlights: one afternoon a 3 foot hole of broken branches appeared in our 5 foot high azalea bushes, someone apparently fell in (but thank goodness, we were never sued for not having handrails); at least twice a year several feet of bedding flowers have been trampled or crushed by people falling over or rummaging thru trying to retrieve a ball (again no handrails); one day while sitting in the lanai a golfer came over and asked if we had a step ladder he could" quickly borrow" to retrieve a ball from the neighbor's gutter (it's true, no lie!); and the best is the guy driving his golf cart between the houses and into the front lawn looking for his ball: when confronted he stated his disability golf sticker allowed him to go anywhere. Our front yard is 75 yards from the fairway. I'd be pretty embarrassed if I missed the golf course by that much. I guess you can't fix stupid!
One thing we noticed, Winter golfers are much worse and disrespectful of property and property lines than the Summer golfers. In the winter we always have a few divots taken out of our back yard where people have played them where they lie, irrespective of where the out of bonds markers are.
We lived on a TPC course prior to moving here to TV. From the leading edge of our property to the par 3 4th green was about 100 yards. Our backyard was enclosed by a fence about 48 inches high (HOA approved). I got such a kick out of watching golfers try to retrieve their ball from our yard, after they realized the gate was locked. What really was a hoot was the number of balls that landed up near our deck which was about 150 yards from the green. I'm not a particularly good golfer but I enjoy laughing at myself when I make a shot that bad.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:55 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperhead View Post
Living on a golf course implies that one should expect golf balls on their property, not golfers.
Living according to this logic would make it seem that if someone's golf ball breaks a window, they should just just take a penalty drop and move on. Surely those who don't want golfers retrieving their balls from the yard would not want them to ignore a broken window by "staying out of the yard"?

"Please, we can get along here. We all can get along. I mean, we’re all stuck here for a while. Let’s try to work it out. Let’s try to beat it." - Rodney King
Old 03-08-2015, 12:17 AM
Veteran member

I do not go on someones private property to retrieve a golf ball. If I mi**** it on your ground it is yours and I am sorry.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
Dee, I am not retreating. Asking for respect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanibel7 View Post
.... its in the rule book and in the paper, DO NOT RETRIEVE GOLF BALLS ON PRIVATE PROPERTY.
No-one should trespass on private property.
Please treat your neighbors with the respect they deserve!
Old 03-08-2015, 06:43 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

I have butterfly bushes in Virginia. I enjoy all kinds of butterflies, but none as beautiful as the monarchs. Thank you for sending some north!
Old 03-08-2015, 07:15 AM

For some reason people do not like to lose a golf ball,I think they rather lose their spouse then a damn cheap golf ball.If its out of bounds no matter what sign is their they will get that ball.That will never change with some golfers,sad but true.My rule is NEVER retrieve a out of bounds golf ball NEVER.I don`t care if its in plain site and the owners of the house are up north,that ball will stay their as far as I`am concerned.And if its in bounds and I can`t find it within 10 seconds I drop another ball and play on.I NEVER retrieve a ball out of water also.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:24 AM
Veteran member

It's not just in TV. I lived on country club courses twice back home and it happened on a daily basis during the summer.
That's why I chose not to live on a golf course here. It's going to happen. Always has, always will.
Old 03-08-2015, 07:56 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1953 View Post
For some reason people do not like to lose a golf ball,I think they rather lose their spouse then a damn cheap golf ball.If its out of bounds no matter what sign is their they will get that ball.That will never change with some golfers,sad but true.My rule is NEVER retrieve a out of bounds golf ball NEVER.I don`t care if its in plain site and the owners of the house are up north,that ball will stay their as far as I`am concerned.And if its in bounds and I can`t find it within 10 seconds I drop another ball and play on.I NEVER retrieve a ball out of water also.
So you drive up to your ball and you see it is 6 inches beyond the out of bounds stake. You are not going to retieve the ball? Just leave it?

There has to be some common sense applied here. Respect the owners property, but if a ball is retrievable without stomping on gardens, going up next to the house, do so with respect.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:08 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Living according to this logic would make it seem that if someone's golf ball breaks a window, they should just just take a penalty drop and move on. Surely those who don't want golfers retrieving their balls from the yard would not want them to ignore a broken window by "staying out of the yard"?

"Please, we can get along here. We all can get along. I mean, we’re all stuck here for a while. Let’s try to work it out. Let’s try to beat it." - Rodney King
Interesting you should bring this up. The presumption on many courses is that if your window gets broken by an errant ball, it is not the golfer's responsibility to pay for the repair. Rather it is the problem of the home owner who elected to have a house on a golf course. This is the way it was on the course at our last home. Of course a golfer could always elect to assist in paying for damages.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mleeja View Post
So you drive up to your ball and you see it is 6 inches beyond the out of bounds stake. You are not going to retieve the ball? Just leave it?

There has to be some common sense applied here. Respect the owners property, but if a ball is retrievable without stomping on gardens, going up next to the house, do so with respect.
YES...that is what the rule states...if YOUR ball passes the golf course boundry line....it is NO LONGER your ball and you forfeit it. I agree with the other poster who says we must have some real cheap golfers if you cannot afford to lose your ball, then maybe golf is a bit too expensive for you to play.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:28 AM
Platinum member

golf should be banned from TV

Chloe
&
Lulu
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.