Need help for my parents they have GWG L Bonds with Michael Whitaker and Associates

Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2023, 10:56 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,791 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvtheVillages View Post
From the on-line publication Investment News:

"In its bankruptcy filings, GWG Holdings reported $3.5 billion of total assets and almost $2.1 billion in total debt. While its assets reportedly outweigh its debt, GWG Holdings’ big hurdle is that many of those assets are illiquid, hard-to-value pools of life settlements, or unwanted insurance policies that consumers sell to investors like GWG Holdings, which can come with risks.

Leading up to the start of this year, GWG Holdings, a publicly traded company with the ticker GWGH, had struggled to file its audited quarterly and annual financial statements on time."

So it looks like there won't be much cash available until the people who sold their life insurance policies die.

From the same source:
"... the company’s collapse, including GWG’s defaulting on $13.6 million in payments in January to bondholders."

So they can't even make their interest payments!

Do your own research. Don't rely on what Whitaker sends you.
Do your own research on EVERYTHING, from a new floor to investing your money. Before retirement, many of our friends would urge us to go with them to a free lunch or dinner. We did attend a couple out of curiosity, but (of course) so much presented was like the old "putting lipstick on a pig", won't go into it all, most has been posted here. Decided long ago that NO ONE, not one single person no matter what they tell you, fiduciary, CFP, NO ONE cares as much about YOUR money as YOU DO. They may "care", of course, but let that sink in, no one cares as much as YOU DO about YOUR money or your welfare. That advice should always be in your mind, rather buying a golf cart, an automobile, or new windows, listen to it all, but just keep remembering the person talking is not MORE interested in your welfare that you are. When you find a person who says, "no, you don't need an whole new AC unit at all, who told you that ? Actually you just need a relatively inexpensive new --------- (fill in the blank), then you can BEGIN to trust that person...LOL ! A LOT of free lunches in the villages... it must be paying off for someone ? Mom always said, there is no "free" lunch..LOL !
Old 04-14-2023, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyB View Post
CASE DETAILS: The filed complaint alleges that defendants made false statements and/or concealed that: (i) Defendants intended to, and did, misappropriate GWG assets, (ii) GWG's life insurance investment business had failed, and (iii) GWG could only repay prior investors by issuing increasing amounts of securities to new investors. In essence, Defendants had turned GWG into a Ponzi scheme.
This is information from the Class Action Lawsuit.
Again I would like Michael, Mike1206 explain again how this is not a Ponzi Scheme
It would be interesting to know if Michael L Whitaker or any of his close family owned GWG and if they did when did they get rid of it. If they dumped it before GWG failed, while Michael L Whitaker was still telling us everything was OK and to hang on to what we had.
Old 04-15-2023, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Do your own research on EVERYTHING, from a new floor to investing your money. Before retirement, many of our friends would urge us to go with them to a free lunch or dinner. We did attend a couple out of curiosity, but (of course) so much presented was like the old "putting lipstick on a pig", won't go into it all, most has been posted here. Decided long ago that NO ONE, not one single person no matter what they tell you, fiduciary, CFP, NO ONE cares as much about YOUR money as YOU DO. They may "care", of course, but let that sink in, no one cares as much as YOU DO about YOUR money or your welfare. That advice should always be in your mind, rather buying a golf cart, an automobile, or new windows, listen to it all, but just keep remembering the person talking is not MORE interested in your welfare that you are. When you find a person who says, "no, you don't need an whole new AC unit at all, who told you that ? Actually you just need a relatively inexpensive new --------- (fill in the blank), then you can BEGIN to trust that person...LOL ! A LOT of free lunches in the villages... it must be paying off for someone ? Mom always said, there is no "free" lunch..LOL !
So very TRUE, but people have to trust others to help them in matters that they don't understand or don't understand fully. You cannot go through life being distrustful or suspicious of everyone. When it is pointed out, as with Michael L. Whitaker and Associates, they need to be singled out and made examples of. The state, college, and other agencies let the public down in this case. Inaction by these agencies cost us thousands perhaps millions of dollars. With so many fillings against Michael L. Whitaker and Associates they should have shut him down before this happened.
Old 04-15-2023, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDFlyer View Post
So very TRUE, but people have to trust others to help them in matters that they don't understand or don't understand fully. You cannot go through life being distrustful or suspicious of everyone. When it is pointed out, as with Michael L. Whitaker and Associates, they need to be singled out and made examples of. The state, college, and other agencies let the public down in this case. Inaction by these agencies cost us thousands perhaps millions of dollars. With so many fillings against Michael L. Whitaker and Associates they should have shut him down before this happened.
If an advisor placed me in a high risk product after I specifically stated I was only comfortable with low risk investments, I would have immediately fired him/her. If that investment was declared a Ponzi scheme and money was lost, I would hire an attorney and depose the individual and ask all these questions. I would consider it money well spent and potentially recoverable. A formal complaint with the SEC is a must do.
I have no doubt there are honest fiduciary advisors, plumbers, electricians, etc. that put their clients’ best interests first. Unfortunately, there are always a few turds in the punch bowl. Unknowingly hiring a self-serving salesman, regardless of what product they are selling, appears to be a recurrent theme in The Villages. There are a lot of good-hearted, trusting, elderly people here that are just looking for an honest individual to help them with their needs.
Old 04-15-2023, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinker View Post
If an advisor placed me in a high risk product after I specifically stated I was only comfortable with low risk investments, I would have immediately fired him/her. If that investment was declared a Ponzi scheme and money was lost, I would hire an attorney and depose the individual and ask all these questions. I would consider it money well spent and potentially recoverable. A formal complaint with the SEC is a must do.
I have no doubt there are honest fiduciary advisors, plumbers, electricians, etc. that put their clients’ best interests first. Unfortunately, there are always a few turds in the punch bowl. Unknowingly hiring a self-serving salesman, regardless of what product they are selling, appears to be a recurrent theme in The Villages. There are a lot of good-hearted, trusting, elderly people here that are just looking for an honest individual to help them with their needs.
I filed today...........

SEC Investor Complaint Form
Old 04-15-2023, 06:20 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,341 Times in 392 Posts

Quote:
I filed today...........

Mdflyer…how did u find Mr Whitaker to begin with? Go to one of his luncheon/dinner seminars? Or did u hear of him from recommendations?
Old 04-15-2023, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Mdflyer…how did u find Mr Whitaker to begin with? Go to one of his luncheon/dinner seminars? Or did u hear of him from recommendations?
Recommendation. As I stated earlier when I started with him he was very good. It was not until years later, when, in my opinion, his income didn't live up to his lifestyle that he changed the way he put people into more and more risky investments that carry higher and higher commissions that he went from good to bad, very bad.
Old 04-15-2023, 06:40 PM

Why should you consider FINRA arbitration individually if you invested in GWG L bonds?
The information gathered strongly suggests that GWG deceived buyers in a number of ways. It involves lying to investors about its financial status and the risks associated with the L bonds. Many had no idea of the risk or the association to life insurance policies. To recuperate their losses, the majority of buyers file individual lawsuits with FINRA arbitration.

Possibility of financial recovery: Investors who purchased the L bonds can enhance their chances of recovering their money by pursuing individual FINRA arbitration. Those who hire their attorneys can be represented to seek compensation through FINRA arbitration from the financial services firm that sold them the GWG L bond.
Potential of fast resolution: Pursuing the case through FINRA arbitration will result in a quick resolution, which will enable investors to recoup their investment. According to FINRA, its arbitrations are typically quick compared to court cases.
Bring a suit against Emerson Equity and GWG: Besides the class action against GWG Holding, you can as well file a civil suit against the company and Emerson Equity. Evidence shows that most of the L Bond purchasers have complaints against Emerson Equity LLC. Individual investors can institute cases against GWG Holdings through FINRA arbitration.
Old 04-15-2023, 08:30 PM

I filed today...........

Old 04-17-2023, 10:53 AM

'Classic Ponzi scheme': Angry creditors lambast CEO of Kansas asset-swap business in court records - Kansas Reflector

This is for all the clients that still trust Michael Whitaker
Brad Heppner is a crook and that is who Michael want you his client to trust.
Old 04-17-2023, 11:16 AM

https://www.girardsharp.com/assets/h...ies%20Laws.pdf

Another good read Texas court documents
Old 04-17-2023, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I filed today...........

Glad you were able to take a stand

Read the two articles I posted today.
Old 04-17-2023, 11:29 AM

The Beneficient Company Group Announces Separation from GWG

What does this mean for GWG bond holders. They have been told Beneficient will a big part of the pay back to L Bond holders
Old 04-17-2023, 12:44 PM

I would not hold my breath waiting to get anything back through the courts. File your complaints with the SEC and Arbitration with FINRA. FINRA has a place to ask for your filing to be expedited due to age, medical condition, or other reasons.
Old 04-17-2023, 05:14 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,365 Times in 744 Posts

It's ironic that this guy has. Google review rating of 4.9 (quite high). Yes, I know those ratings are fairly useless but it does give the guy a positive vibe when you look him up on Google. Here is the link to leave your own review: michael whitaker and associates, llc the villages reviews - Google Search
Closed Thread

Tags
gwg, michael, parents, bonds, found

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.