I really need help now... I really need help now... - Page 5 - Talk of The Villages Florida

I really need help now...

Reply
Thread Tools
  #61  
Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM
bark4me bark4me is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Nov 2021
Posts: 408
Thanks: 336
Thanked 187 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miboater View Post
ProVista is the original St Augustine grass developed by Scott's to be glyphosate tolerant. I've had it for 5 years and can attest to that fact or my sod would have been killed a few times.

Viridian is a newer version that is also called Texas ProVista and is a deeper green color and more cold tolerant.
Actually Floratam. Pour glyphosate throughout your lawn and see what happens. Have fun with that
  #62  
Old Today, 06:29 AM
Miboater Miboater is offline
Silver Member
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Village of Hawkins
Posts: 315
Thanks: 14
Thanked 176 Times in 118 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bark4me View Post
Actually Floratam. Pour glyphosate throughout your lawn and see what happens. Have fun with that
I have used glyphosate a numerous times on my ProVista and the only thing it killed was the weeds. Floratam was developed by the University of Florida and Texas A&M University hence the name. Scott's developed ProVista to be resistant to the Scott's/Ortho product Roundup which at the time contained glyphosate.

A quick Google search will show you these facts.
  #63  
Old Today, 09:15 AM
DAVES DAVES is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 3,757
Thanks: 206
Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,011 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tvflguy View Post
In the Spring I noticed that we had 'torpedo grass' coming into our front lawn. Slowly it grew into more areas. It's primarily located in the lawn in front of our home - which is zoysia grass. The sides and back and not impacted too badly.

I did a lot of research and found the best killer of torpedo grass is 'Quniclorac' or Drive XLR8. I bought both online months ago along with a substance to allow the mixture to stick to the leaves. And a nice powered sprayer. Did about 3 applications over the last 10 weeks or so (2 week intervals). Was out of town the last couple weeks, and, the torpedo grass is back with a vengence. I know that it takes time and more applications, but...I think I'll now give up the DIY. I really don't trust 'lawn care companies' a lot, but now I guess I'm in search for the best. We have used Dean's before for our lawncare, fert and cutting. But it's been years now.

Perhaps I will get a lot of generic feedback - but I would like to get names of a few VERY REPUTABLE firms around The Villages to help me eradicate this stuff. Only getting worse.
OR - at the proper time, take out all the affected zoysia in front and put in new zoysia sod.

Please help... TIA
We are fighting nature. Nature always wins. One type of grass neatly edged is not natural.

Accepting that. Torpedo grass is tough. If, you pull it, it grows from any root you leave be- hind. Solution is applying one of the kills all weedkillers to the torpedo grass with a paint brush.
Reply

Tags
grass, lawn, lot, zoysia, front

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 PM.