Authority Nutrition on Myths about Nutrition

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 03-24-2013, 09:46 AM
gustavo gustavo is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 304
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
You may want to check that writers credentials??????

And the age of the basis for his unprofessional opinion.

It appears the article is written with well documented references to legitimate sources, regardless of the writer's credentials.
  #17  
Old 03-24-2013, 09:57 AM
jimbo2012's Avatar
jimbo2012 jimbo2012 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LI, NY >Fernandina South
Posts: 7,158
Thanks: 54
Thanked 92 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Iyo
__________________
Nova Water filters | Solar Lithium golf cart upgrades
  #18  
Old 03-24-2013, 10:20 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,798
Thanks: 3,616
Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,240 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Iyo
What does IYO mean?

I THINK I know what UYA means.

Sorry. I can't be good for tooooo long.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #19  
Old 03-24-2013, 10:28 AM
jimbo2012's Avatar
jimbo2012 jimbo2012 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LI, NY >Fernandina South
Posts: 7,158
Thanks: 54
Thanked 92 Times in 52 Posts
Default

IYO = in your opinion
__________________
Nova Water filters | Solar Lithium golf cart upgrades
  #20  
Old 03-24-2013, 11:12 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,798
Thanks: 3,616
Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,240 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
IYO = in your opinion
oh. where's the fun in that?
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #21  
Old 03-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Cantwaittoarrive Cantwaittoarrive is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 895
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I agree 100% this is basically the way I eat and I will compare my body fat, blood pressure and blood work with anyone. I eat a ton of healthy fats, grass fed butter, grass fed beef, coconut oil, olive oil , fresh / frozen berries, broccoli, cauliflower, avocadoes. I get less than 50 grams of carbs on a daily basis. I start each day with a cup of coffee that contains 2 tbs of coconut oil and 2 tbs of grass fed butter and then follow an intermittent fasting protocol. I've done this for years and it happens to follow the protocol for a med study I'm part of and have been part of for many years. My doctor told me on my last visit with numbers like mine I will live forever.
  #22  
Old 03-24-2013, 01:24 PM
Cantwaittoarrive Cantwaittoarrive is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 895
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
I think if folks saw the way the animals feed, housed, slaughtered and processed many would place any part of them in their mouth.

Do some reading on what constitutes free range, it's a big joke.
I grew up on a farm and I eat animals on a daily basis
  #23  
Old 03-24-2013, 08:51 PM
gustavo gustavo is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 304
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
We take NO meds at all (for three years), we certainly don't miss the side effects of those drugs and feel great works for us.

Understand I'm not trying to convert anyone to becoming a vegan, make your own informed decision.

.
Never taken any meds (forever), always have eaten meat. Your mileage may vary.
  #24  
Old 03-24-2013, 09:03 PM
skyc6 skyc6 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 517
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
I think if folks saw the way the animals feed, housed, slaughtered and processed many would place any part of them in their mouth.

Do some reading on what constitutes free range, it's a big joke.
This post doesn't read clearly.
  #25  
Old 03-25-2013, 06:27 AM
jimbo2012's Avatar
jimbo2012 jimbo2012 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LI, NY >Fernandina South
Posts: 7,158
Thanks: 54
Thanked 92 Times in 52 Posts
Default

I didn't type that

I think if folks saw the way the animals were fed, housed then slaughtered and processed many people wouldn't eat meat.

Do some reading on what constitutes free range, it's a big joke.

“Free-range chickens conjure up in some consumers’ minds pictures of contented fowl strolling around the barnyard, but the truth is, all a chicken grower needs to do is give the birds some access to the outdoors whether the chickens decide to take a gambol or stay inside with hundreds or thousands of other birds, under government rules growers are free to label them free-range.

“As all free-range animals are still viewed as objects to be killed for food, they are subject to abusive handling, transport, and slaughter [see, for example, this footage of slaughter]. Free-range animals, like all animals used for their milk and eggs, are still slaughtered at a fraction of their normal life expectancy.”


---

The free-range label applies only to birds raised for meat, not eggs. There is a cage-free label for eggs; but it is not regulated by the USDA, nor does it guarantee that the hens were provided access to the outdoors. Neither label requires third-party certification. Even for USDA Organic, the most extensively regulated label, minimum levels of outdoor access have not been set and specific rules do not apply to stocking density or flock size

“Steve Mahrt, self-proclaimed ‘head chicken farmer’ and owner of Petaluma Farms, has been selling fertile, cage-free and organic eggs to West Coast consumers for 20 years.… ‘We’re the original, free-ranging chicken people,’ says Mahrt, a former California Egg Commission chairman.”

his farm

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
__________________
Nova Water filters | Solar Lithium golf cart upgrades
  #26  
Old 03-25-2013, 06:47 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,798
Thanks: 3,616
Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,240 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

It doens't help to personalize our food. As each of our grandchildren went through that process I tried to divert them from it.

You are a vegan. Most of us aren't.

What if we showed a picture of a piece of manure stuck to lettuce or folks from other countries peeing near the pea patch?.

We have to eat. Lots of little bacteria are screaming ouch as they fall into our stomach acid.

Do unto others..don't cha know?
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #27  
Old 03-25-2013, 06:59 AM
senior citizen senior citizen is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,814
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
I didn't type that

I think if folks saw the way the animals were fed, housed then slaughtered and processed many people wouldn't eat meat.

Do some reading on what constitutes free range, it's a big joke.

“Free-range chickens conjure up in some consumers’ minds pictures of contented fowl strolling around the barnyard, but the truth is, all a chicken grower needs to do is give the birds some access to the outdoors whether the chickens decide to take a gambol or stay inside with hundreds or thousands of other birds, under government rules growers are free to label them free-range.

“As all free-range animals are still viewed as objects to be killed for food, they are subject to abusive handling, transport, and slaughter [see, for example, this footage of slaughter]. Free-range animals, like all animals used for their milk and eggs, are still slaughtered at a fraction of their normal life expectancy.”


---

The free-range label applies only to birds raised for meat, not eggs. There is a cage-free label for eggs; but it is not regulated by the USDA, nor does it guarantee that the hens were provided access to the outdoors. Neither label requires third-party certification. Even for USDA Organic, the most extensively regulated label, minimum levels of outdoor access have not been set and specific rules do not apply to stocking density or flock size

“Steve Mahrt, self-proclaimed ‘head chicken farmer’ and owner of Petaluma Farms, has been selling fertile, cage-free and organic eggs to West Coast consumers for 20 years.… ‘We’re the original, free-ranging chicken people,’ says Mahrt, a former California Egg Commission chairman.”

his farm

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

We've seen much beloved chickens for meat and laying hens, for eggs, when we attended a joint birthday party for our young grandson and his best buddy at the friend's home . The chicken coops were on the back acreage near a babbling brook.........beautiful forest out back.......all of the chickens were "friendly" and allowed the various assorted aged children to "hold them"........we have pics of our 5 year old grandaughter (age at the time) holding each beautifully colored chicken..........

The chickens were allowed to roam free when the family was outside with them. Obviously, there are critters up here that could attack them, thus the complex chicken housing..........

The dad (host of the party) and his wife showed us their freezers in the house which were filled with their organic chicken meat........they also had the "laying hens" like our kids have, ditto for our friends' kids.....it's all the rage up here and elsewhere...........to raise chickens....for eggs, and sometimes for the meat.........I guess the "hobby" evolves.

They don't sell it. They use it for themselves.

Oh, and our few year older grand daughter now has chickens of her own.......for eggs. She LOVES THEM. She even brings her favorites into the house.
I know, I wouldn't do it either..........but they do it.

Our littlest grandbabies also love their chickens (again being raised for eggs).........I guess they all feel they know what goes into the chickens and what comes out is a pure egg.....NOT from a poultry farm, mass produced. We were at our son's wedding in Colorado three years ago when the news was all over about the IOWA chicken scandal..............you should have heard all the people eating at the resort restaurant.
EVERYONE was afraid to eat the eggs from that Iowa farm..........

No one eats healthier than our adult son and his wife, or our daughter and her husband............yet they all eat their eggs. All are slender and healthy.

Eggs used to be considered the perfect food. Egg and bananas, another perfect food which God put on the earth.

Eggs are so very versatile.......
  #28  
Old 03-25-2013, 07:06 AM
senior citizen senior citizen is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,814
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It doens't help to personalize our food. As each of our grandchildren went through that process I tried to divert them from it.

You are a vegan. Most of us aren't.

What if we showed a picture of a piece of manure stuck to lettuce or folks from other countries peeing near the pea patch?.

We have to eat. Lots of little bacteria are screaming ouch as they fall into our stomach acid.

Do unto others..don't cha know?

E coli is very dangerous. The book I'm reading now (just in the beginning so i don't have a clue where he got the e coli bacteria that attacked his brain, apparently........) will find out soon enough.

It is found on vegetables and who knows what people are doing when the boss isn't looking (as mentioned above)..........

It's also in hamburger meat, granted that. We can grill our burgers or broil them to make sure to kill the bacteria..........but we can't cook our lettuce.........or our cantalupe.
  #29  
Old 03-25-2013, 07:30 AM
Parker's Avatar
Parker Parker is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 846
Thanks: 1
Thanked 32 Times in 14 Posts
Default

"I start each day with a cup of coffee that contains 2 tbs of coconut oil and 2 tbs of grass fed butter and then follow an intermittent fasting protocol." by Cantwaittoarrive, above.

If I started my day with this, believe I'd opt to stay in bed. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
  #30  
Old 03-25-2013, 07:40 AM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,694
Thanks: 269
Thanked 832 Times in 397 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
What does IYO mean?

I THINK I know what UYA means.

Sorry. I can't be good for tooooo long.
Okay, so what does UYA mean?
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 PM.