Being Informed on Being a Medicare Enrollee

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2022, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca9800 View Post
Your wrath is misdirected. So you think nurses/physicians, the ones who tell you that you're going to be 'admitted', are out to screw you? You think they have something to gain? Having been personally involved in this exact situation on many, many occasions, I made certain my patient understood the difference. If you want to be angry at someone please go after the government department that introduced 'Observation'. These 'Observation' cases are people that don't meet 'Admission' criteria but the attending physician doesn't feel it's safe to send them home. Be angry w those who developed 'admission criteria'. Be angry with those who took the physician's decision-making powers away. You know, the suits that sit behind a desk and haven't a clue.
Cool down Kiddo. Your response wins the angry test, not the commenter who attempted to help. A reminder that we are responsible for healthcare decisions down here is appreciated.
Old 06-08-2022, 09:03 AM

You’re right! VA Healthcare is now tops, as years ago it was terrible. I wonder why the change?
Old 06-08-2022, 09:12 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heytubes View Post
You’re right! VA Healthcare is now tops, as years ago it was terrible. I wonder why the change?
I agree. I don't know why the change is happening.

My brother is friends with a person that was put in charge of finding out what the problems were and how to fix them by some administration some years ago, I don't recall which right now, and that isn't important. What is important is that they are changing and in the right way. Until someone experiences it, no amount of explaining will help.

But, seeing all the complaints here, it makes me cringe to think I used to deal with all those things too.
Old 06-08-2022, 10:03 AM

This is NOT the patient's choice or even the MD. To qualify for Inpatient status you must have an illness that qualifies as serious enough and you have a 2 night stay expectation. If you are inpatient, your Medicare Part A pays. If you are Observation, Part B pays.
Old 06-08-2022, 01:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj_woody View Post
the biggest problem in health care today is bean counters and politicians being in charge of care instead of doctors and patients.
you make a great point. Also consider the thousands if hospital closings throughout the last few decades. A balance needs to be struck
Old 06-08-2022, 01:02 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca9800 View Post
your wrath is misdirected. So you think nurses/physicians, the ones who tell you that you're going to be 'admitted', are out to screw you? You think they have something to gain? Having been personally involved in this exact situation on many, many occasions, i made certain my patient understood the difference. If you want to be angry at someone please go after the government department that introduced 'observation'. These 'observation' cases are people that don't meet 'admission' criteria but the attending physician doesn't feel it's safe to send them home. Be angry w those who developed 'admission criteria'. Be angry with those who took the physician's decision-making powers away. You know, the suits that sit behind a desk and haven't a clue.
you are obviously a veteran of these wars. Thanks for the insight
Old 06-08-2022, 02:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,928 Times in 1,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_Woody View Post
The biggest problem in health care today is bean counters and politicians being in charge of care instead of doctors and patients.
Insurance companies control US healthcare. The Doctors have lost out and are "owned" by the insurance companies.
Old 06-08-2022, 02:34 PM

Good advice. Great observation. My rule of thumb is to always carry your drivers license, Medicare card, insurance card(s) and Social Security in your wallet or purse.

The person asking you a question about Medicare is usually a billing clerk who is determining who to charge for the services rendered.
Old 06-08-2022, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
I agree. I don't know why the change is happening.

My brother is friends with a person that was put in charge of finding out what the problems were and how to fix them by some administration some years ago, I don't recall which right now, and that isn't important. What is important is that they are changing and in the right way. Until someone experiences it, no amount of explaining will help.

But, seeing all the complaints here, it makes me cringe to think I used to deal with all those things too.
I hate to disagree. VA hampered by bureaucratic rules. I’m 64 and 2 years ago VA refused to give me Shingles vaccine because I was under 65 (even tho CDC recommends it for all over 50).

3 weeks ago tried to get appt with VA PCP for sore elbow. Nothing available for next two months so was advised by VISN line to go to Urgent Care (VA will pay for certain ones). UC sent me for X-ray. (Both UC and X-ray paid by VA). Back to UC for diagnosis- medial epicondylitis (golfer’s elbow). Now 3 weeks later again try to see VA PCP to discuss cortisone shot. Again no appts available for next 2 months. Appt clerk sends message to PCP with my request for cortisone shot. PCP says I have to get another X-ray and need to go to Gainesville for it. I ask why I can’t get X-ray at TV OPC and am told they can’t X-ray an elbow there! So even tho I have an X-ray paid for by VA, PCP says I have to get an X-ray done by VA and I have to drive to Gainesville for it!! That is just illogical.
Old 06-08-2022, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlsondm View Post
Cool down Kiddo. Your response wins the angry test, not the commenter who attempted to help. A reminder that we are responsible for healthcare decisions down here is appreciated.
Please allow me to correct your mischaracterization. Disgusted would be a more accurate description of how I was feeling vs. angered. There was too much slop-slinging that I just couldn't let it ride. Perhaps you might re-read and have a better understanding. I'm going to assume you'd prefer factual reminders that you're responsible for your healthcare decisions.
Closed Thread

Tags
question, medicare, enrollee, sad, dollars

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.