Cardiac Bypass surgery advice/experiences??

Closed Thread
Old 08-16-2013, 03:50 PM
Sage
Default Cardiac Bypass surgery advice/experiences??

A dear friend is expecting to be told that bypass surgery is the next step after the heart attack of a few weeks ago.
Can some of you help with info on your experiences...how scary is it, where to go for surgery, not to go, what's rehab like, feelings waking up, how much help you need at home...how long til you can be independent?
Old 08-16-2013, 04:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,595 Times in 1,334 Posts

this is not an easy subject...it depends on what the bypass is...sometimes you still have a tube to breath thru for a few days after sometimes not... where the incision is the cutting of the chest and bone is very painfull...the surgery it self you will most likely not even remember going to the surgery room and introduced to the staff in the room...or recovery...thats why you get a signed thank you card from the staff who took care of you cause you will have no clue...
Old 08-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,322 Times in 548 Posts

Your friend had a heart attack. I assume it was mild and didn't damage the heart. By-pass surgery is done to prevent the big heart attack that many times is fatal. I had by-pass surgery done almost 5 years ago. It's pretty routine today with thousands done every year. Not anything to fear at all---just thankful it can be done and it could very well extend a life 20 or more years. The recovery time differs with each individual and depends much on your physical condition prior to surgery. I was playing lite golf in about 3 months. Do all the extended Rehab allowed by Medicare----it's not difficult but very important for a quicker recovery. Pain? I don't remember really all that much pain. Don't worry---your friend will be fine. I had my surgery in Illinois because that's where I had the problem but I know Leesburg has a fine program as I had a friend who had bypass surgery there and did great. Good luck and prayers for your friend.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:43 PM
Sage

Mine was done 10 years ago in S. Fla. After surgery my week or so in the hospital was the worst part, not because of pain, just wanting to go home. Strict instructions to not lift anything heavier than a qt. of milk for about 8 weeks so as not to disturb the split in your breastbone that was wired back together. Walking was required every day but the temps were too hot in S. Fla. so my wife drove me to a mall which was cool and I could walk. Best to follow the doctors orders. I was told I wouldn't feel back to normal for a year, but I don't think it was quite that long.
While recuperating it's a good time to read up on your condition that caused the need for this bypass surgery.
I changed my diet and included exercising at least 4 days a week. I feel great. I also had Cardiod artery surgery to open up that artery several years before and know I have a propensity for clogged arteries.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:17 PM
Default Bypass Surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
A dear friend is expecting to be told that bypass surgery is the next step after the heart attack of a few weeks ago.
Can some of you help with info on your experiences...how scary is it, where to go for surgery, not to go, what's rehab like, feelings waking up, how much help you need at home...how long til you can be independent?
I
Kitty
First of all, I would tell your friend that the most scary thing is what their condition is now. The anticipation of surgery is always a concern. After accepting the necessity of surgery, you just want to get it done. Recovery time will vary depending on age and the type of bypass surgery; cutting the chest wide open or a minimally invasive type whereby they go through a rib. When you wake up in the recovery room you will be groggy and sleepy for quite a few hours. tubes will likely be coming from every orfice you have. most will be removed in a day or so. The most important thing to recovery is following Drs. directives 100%. This includes excercising the lungs, walking often, eating properly etc. they try to get the patient up and walking as soon as possible. Take the pain meds as prescribed, even though you may not think you need them. Use the pillow against your chest when you cough. You will have drainage tubes for a day or so, but when they are removed, you must cough up the fluid that the tubes were handling earlier. Over time, a week or two you will feel stronger and stronger. Because this is major surgery, some people have a period of depression. Always accept rehab and attend as scheduled. From that time on, your cardiologist will become your most trusted advisor. There is also a club called "The Mended Hearts Club" for which you are automatically a member. They spend time in the hospitals providing bypass patients advice and comfort. The lead-up to the surgery is the worst. Once they give you the "joy juice", nothing matters any more.
I am a former bypass patient with NO restrictions. I play pickleball every day, golf ocassionally and softball ocassionally. Oh yes, sex was not affected!
Old 08-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Sage

My friend said your posts are very helpful and have alleviated anxiety. if there are more folks with something to say...please do.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
My friend said your posts are very helpful and have alleviated anxiety. if there are more folks with something to say...please do.
Bypass operations, for the most part, can be avoided by improving ones diet, but cardiologists almost never offer this choice($$$). When people improve their diets, their arteries respond almost immediately. When people do get a bypass, they are told to improve their diet so that their arteries won't get clogged up again. So it's not as though they don't have to change their diet anyway. That being the case, why not try a change of diet now and avoid surgery altogether?

Am I in trouble yet? Right about now someone is ready to tell me that I'm not a doctor. That's true, but at least I'm not biased by the fact of making money on bypass operations. I won't make any money whether he gets a bypass or not. I just want to pass on some information that was given to me by cardiologists.

Book: "The Cardiovascular Cure" by John P. Cooke, MD. PhD.

I recommend this book because most people like to eat some meat and this book allows for it. There are other excellent books that call for vegetarianism, and some call for veganism. Dr. Dean Ornish has a few books on this subject and there are many others by other doctors.

Is there a risk to trying this approach? Yes, there is, but no more than the risk of going for a bypass operation, in my opinion. Surgery is never without risk.

Last edited by Villages PL; 08-18-2013 at 05:52 PM.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:31 PM
Veteran member
Send a message via ICQ to mikeandnancy1112 Send a message via AIM to mikeandnancy1112

My husband had heart by-pass surgery 19 years ago, had a staph infection, and kept him out of work for 8 months. He was operated on by a doctor, supposedly one of the best in Florida. We both worked for the State of Florida. When Mike was home recuperating from surgery, a co-worker who had heard who Mike's doctor had been, brought a newspaper clipping to me concerning this doctor. The article said he had left a sponge in a woman years ago and had been cited for another mistake. We also found out there was a department for Doctor's Discipline. Your friend needs to contact Doctor's Discipline for the Department of Health and find out the history of this doctor. Honestly, everyone who is going to have major surgery needs to do this. I wish we had. Live and learn.

Good luck to your friend, Kitty.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:24 PM
Sage

that's great advice. I agree always know how many of this type surgery the doc has done and what his success rate is..or hers. as you say myflorida.com has a complaint list for licensed practitioners.
After losing use of my right arm due to disk degeneration, I had a cervical fusion by a doc who had all those facts ready for me, and he was a well experienced highly successful wizard. I recovered with no problems very fast...
Old 08-18-2013, 06:26 PM
Sage

my late significant other had a five bypass surgery a couple of years before i met him...he could dance all night, bench press 340 lbs, and was as strong as an ox...his heart was fine but he died in a terrible fall....now the methods are even better..he had the full cracking of the chest type but he told me he went dancing two weeks after the surgery. that might have been a bit too macho the point is, try not to let fear get in the way and have faith that when God wants you He will come and get you, and if it is not your time, you will be around for us to pamper for the forseeable future.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:38 PM
Sage

Depending on his actual condition surgery ie: a knife may not be necessary a plant based diet can start to change plaque in as little as three weeks, that is a fact.

Ask him to pick up a copy of the book "your last heart attack" and a documentary "Forks over Knives"

he will see a group of heart patient's in deep trouble turn their condition around and stay healthy for years after.

It may be the best $20 he ever spent.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Sage

Jimbo, I think I need that book...thanks for the suggestion. I'm still heart healthy (just got a cardio eval), but I could eat healthier.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:56 AM
Sage
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachacha View Post
....the point is, try not to let fear get in the way and have faith that when God wants you He will come and get you, and if it is not your time, you will be around for us to pamper for the forseeable future.
It seems that invoking "God" is acceptable in certain situations and it's not considered to be "too personal". But when I brought up this subject on another board it was said to be too personal. Is there a double standard?
Old 08-21-2013, 12:57 PM

I had triple bypass in 1990 and still going. Strongly recommend as others have that you do all of the rehab offered and then keep on doing it on your own.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.