NYTimes article on Medicare testing

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #46  
Old 02-05-2015, 07:41 PM
dbussone's Avatar
dbussone dbussone is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,836
Thanks: 0
Thanked 84 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Wow. All I can say is wow. All the rest of us are simply extraneous.
__________________
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill
  #47  
Old 02-05-2015, 07:46 PM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,681
Thanks: 1,685
Thanked 238 Times in 180 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Bump: Great post VPL! Thank you!
Did you really just congratulate yourself?
I think you should treat yourself to a Margarita!
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
  #48  
Old 02-05-2015, 08:06 PM
dbussone's Avatar
dbussone dbussone is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,836
Thanks: 0
Thanked 84 Times in 77 Posts
Default NYTimes article on Medicare testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Did you really just congratulate yourself?
I think you should treat yourself to a Margarita!
A dose of castor oil would be preferable.
__________________
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill
  #49  
Old 02-05-2015, 08:08 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,964
Thanks: 369
Thanked 1,110 Times in 528 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
My point is: Why should you ask me to prove my statements when you were the first to make an unproved statement?
Another dodge.
__________________
It's harder to hate close up.
  #50  
Old 02-06-2015, 07:42 AM
dbussone's Avatar
dbussone dbussone is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,836
Thanks: 0
Thanked 84 Times in 77 Posts
Default

And he refers to himself in the 3rd person.
__________________
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill
  #51  
Old 02-06-2015, 03:12 PM
2BNTV's Avatar
2BNTV 2BNTV is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,696
Thanks: 1
Thanked 114 Times in 46 Posts
Default

I believe every should be their own health advocate, I would not have any unnecessary test done on me. I always ask a lot of questions and if the answers are reasonable, then I may agree to the test.

When a doctor told me that I needed a certain drug, I refused to take it. My PCP has said, "I can only advise you, I cannot make you do anything". Obviously, he is right!!!

We already have an understanding that no unnecessary test will be performed and medications will be kept to a minimum, for whatever condition, I am in.

We all should have a certain amount of respect and trust in a doctor's knowledge but they are not GOD, and medicine is still an art, not an absolute science. If one does not trust their doctor, then one should switch their doctor.

We all get statements form Medicare stating what a doctors charges were and what the insurance covered. If abuse is suspected, then one should report the suspected abuse, to Medicare.

I am the customer and if a doctor is telling me I need unnecessary tests, then I have two words for him.

Your fired!!!!
__________________
"It doesn't cost "nuttin", to be nice". MOM

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
  #52  
Old 02-06-2015, 04:07 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39,419
Thanks: 4,200
Thanked 4,699 Times in 1,611 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I believe every should be their own health advocate, I would not have any unnecessary test done on me. I always ask a lot of questions and if the answers are reasonable, then I may agree to the test.

When a doctor told me that I needed a certain drug, I refused to take it. My PCP has said, "I can only advise you, I cannot make you do anything". Obviously, he is right!!!

We already have an understanding that no unnecessary test will be performed and medications will be kept to a minimum, for whatever condition, I am in.

We all should have a certain amount of respect and trust in a doctor's knowledge but they are not GOD, and medicine is still an art, not an absolute science. If one does not trust their doctor, then one should switch their doctor.

We all get statements form Medicare stating what a doctors charges were and what the insurance covered. If abuse is suspected, then one should report the suspected abuse, to Medicare.

I am the customer and if a doctor is telling me I need unnecessary tests, then I have two words for him.

Your fired!!!!
Well said.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #53  
Old 02-06-2015, 05:16 PM
Villages PL Villages PL is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Belvedere
Posts: 5,280
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
If you question what the doctor orders, he/she will take it that you are questioning their competence. They don't like it and they will give you a quick/abrupt answer, at which time they will get up and walk to the exit. If you don't understand and you persist in questioning them, they will think of you as a trouble-maker. Many don't have time for questions and you would have to wrestle them to the ground as they run for the exit. When they start walking toward the door, that means the visit is over, period!!!

The only time it's different from what I described is when they have lots of time because they don't have enough patients. But in that case, I still don't think they welcome a lot of questions because it suggests you doubt their competence.
Average doctor visit grows -- by 32 seconds over 10 years | World News & Nursing Report. Nursing Journals : American Society of Registered Nurses

Go Moho, if you scroll down to where it says, "percentage of people...." I would say I'm probably in the 17.4 percent group. Because I don't have any health issues it's assumed I don't need much time and shouldn't ask too many questions. Other patients with multiple health issues are likely in the 36.1%, 36.8% or one of the other two groups where they get huge amounts of time. So when the doctor is running behind schedule, which is often the case, he comes to me and depends on me to help him get back on schedule.

Notice in my above (quoted) statement I said, "Many don't have the time for questions....." I didn't say all doctors. It depends on the individual's health status etc..

That pesky little word "many" makes a big difference, doesn't it?
  #54  
Old 02-06-2015, 05:28 PM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 39,419
Thanks: 4,200
Thanked 4,699 Times in 1,611 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Average doctor visit grows -- by 32 seconds over 10 years | World News & Nursing Report. Nursing Journals : American Society of Registered Nurses

Go Moho, If you scroll down to where it says, "percentage of people...." I would say I'm probably in the 17.4 percent group. Because I don't have any health issues it's assumed I don't need much time and shouldn't ask too many questions. Other patients with multiple health issues are likely in the 36.1%, 36.8% or one of the other two groups where they get huge amounts of time. So when the doctor is running behind schedule, which is often the case, he comes to me and depends on me to help him get back on schedule.

Notice in my above (quoted) statement I said, "Many don't have the time for questions....." I didn't say all doctors. It depends on the individual's health status etc..

That pesky little word "many" makes a big difference, doesn't it?
You have mentioned over time of certain problems (peeing a lot) or tests that you had that made it appear that you do have health issues, but when questioned you say they are gone or I took care of that myself by eating this or that.

All I have to say to that is hmmmm.

I don't think that it is a flaw or we need look for a reason when an older person has health issues. If you don't, you will. It isn't healthy to be in denial about health issues and it isn't wise sometimes to ignore a medical doctor's advice. There is a reason why some medications are prescribed so often, and the reason is, they WORK.

You didn't fail anything or anybody or any goal if you need to take medicine and sometimes that medicine makes you healthier.

I have said this so many times before.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #55  
Old 02-06-2015, 05:51 PM
CFrance's Avatar
CFrance CFrance is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Tamarind Grove/Monpazier, France
Posts: 13,964
Thanks: 369
Thanked 1,110 Times in 528 Posts
Default

I don't have any health issues and yet my doctors have always taken a lot of time with me. The one in MI and the one here. A couple of times we have even discussed non personal health issues--politics, raising children, what's happening in general with medical insurance.

Recently the FL one took twenty minutes extra time to wade through an article I read about suggested vaccinations for an upcoming trip to North Africa--which ones were most important and why, and where to go get them. He also explained where and why we would possibly incur problems eating and washing, which places we would not be able to control the sanitation of our surroundings.

I have never had a ten-minute doctor visit, and it has nothing to do with having health issues. If I did, that doctor would become my former doctor.
__________________
It's harder to hate close up.
  #56  
Old 02-06-2015, 06:19 PM
dbussone's Avatar
dbussone dbussone is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,836
Thanks: 0
Thanked 84 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I don't have any health issues and yet my doctors have always taken a lot of time with me. The one in MI and the one here. A couple of times we have even discussed non personal health issues--politics, raising children, what's happening in general with medical insurance.

Recently the FL one took twenty minutes extra time to wade through an article I read about suggested vaccinations for an upcoming trip to North Africa--which ones were most important and why, and where to go get them. He also explained where and why we would possibly incur problems eating and washing, which places we would not be able to control the sanitation of our surroundings.

I have never had a ten-minute doctor visit, and it has nothing to do with having health issues. If I did, that doctor would become my former doctor.
You are your own advocate and select appropriate physicians. I had a routine visit this morning and my physician spent 25 minutes asking me questions to make sure it WAS just routine. He didn't waste time, he was thorough. I am also my own advocate. Congratulations to both of us!
__________________
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill
  #57  
Old 02-06-2015, 08:51 PM
dbussone's Avatar
dbussone dbussone is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,836
Thanks: 0
Thanked 84 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
You are your own advocate and select appropriate physicians. I had a routine visit this morning and my physician spent 25 minutes asking me questions to make sure it WAS just routine. He didn't waste time, he was thorough. I am also my own advocate. Congratulations to both of us!
Wow. That sounded too much like VPL. Please forgive me.
__________________
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill
  #58  
Old 02-06-2015, 08:53 PM
dbussone's Avatar
dbussone dbussone is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,836
Thanks: 0
Thanked 84 Times in 77 Posts
Default NYTimes article on Medicare testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
You have mentioned over time of certain problems (peeing a lot) or tests that you had that made it appear that you do have health issues, but when questioned you say they are gone or I took care of that myself by eating this or that.

All I have to say to that is hmmmm.

I don't think that it is a flaw or we need look for a reason when an older person has health issues. If you don't, you will. It isn't healthy to be in denial about health issues and it isn't wise sometimes to ignore a medical doctor's advice. There is a reason why some medications are prescribed so often, and the reason is, they WORK.

You didn't fail anything or anybody or any goal if you need to take medicine and sometimes that medicine makes you healthier.

I have said this so many times before.
I'd have to say much more than Hmmmm. We're talking borderline hypochondria.
__________________
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:45 AM.