The Villages/ USF Partnership

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Sage
Post The Villages/ USF Partnership

Interesting article on the front page of today's Tampa Bay Times about the partnership between The Villages and USF.

In the Villages, USF Health partnership fills missing piece | Tampa Bay Times
Old 08-04-2013, 11:19 AM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Interesting article on the front page of today's Tampa Bay Times about the partnership between The Villages and USF.

Thanks for providing the link. It certainly was a flattering article. It couldn't have been any more flattering than if it had been written by the developer/U.S.F. partnership. It practically had all the (PR) elements that we have been getting weekly from The Daily Sun. Perfect!

One statement that got my attention was the following, by Dr. Donna Peterson, dean of U.S.F.'s College of Public Health: She said, "The level of cohesion in this community is through the roof." Well, that's wonderful! But she didn't state in what regard. At this point you can fill in your own questions. For example, if the level of cohesion is through the roof, why did only about 1/3 of residents participate in the survey? Why, if I start asking more questions, will other residents attack me personally?
Old 08-04-2013, 12:28 PM

I will not attack you personally but say that 30 percent response to a survey is truly great. Most surveys get 3 or 4 percent participation.
Old 08-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach View Post
I will not attack you personally but say that 30 percent response to a survey is truly great. Most surveys get 3 or 4 percent participation.
Does that include lots of unimportant surveys that nobody cares about? Surveys where they want personal information in exchange for a "free" gift (cupon) of some sort? When it comes to telephone surveys, for example, I have a blanket policy not to participate, no matter what it's about. And I suppose many others do the same. So I kind of doubt the value of the 3 to 4% statistic.

When it comes to the health of our community, I don't think 30 percent is "through the roof". It's only good when compared to many other less valuable, intrusive surveys. Well, that's my opinion.

We could also ask the question, "of the 30 percent who took the survey, what percentage of them will be willing and able to take an active role in making The Villages America's healthiest hometown?" I would guess about half or 15% of Villagers. So how do we get to become America's healthiest hometown on the strength of only a small percentage of the population?

It seems to me that only a very small fraction of Villagers will be willing to make any significant lifestyle change or sacrifice. That's my opinion again, based on what I see and hear of what goes on in The Villages and on this Health Board.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
It seems to me that only a very small fraction of Villagers will be willing to make any significant lifestyle change or sacrifice. That's my opinion again, based on what I see and hear of what goes on in The Villages and on this Health Board.
First of all I thought the article was also very flattering - but what would expect them to say. "Can you believe a place as horrible as The Villages would be involved in healthcare".

Second - there is a cohesiveness here that you don't find much anymore in neighborhoods. People outside the bubble are too involved with work and kids and technology to even recognize their neighbor if they ran into them in a store. People do look out for each other and have great pride in their Village.

Third - I'm not sure how much sacrifice or lifestyle change you think they are looking for? I am quite confident there are more seniors involved in activities here then anywhere else in this country. Sure we probably eat too much and drink too much, but hopefully that is balanced by activity and most important preventative care. I think that more than anything is what The Villages Health is looking at. Be pro-active in your health care and if a problem arises tackle it early on or even better communicate with your doctor so you can continue to live this lifestyle.

I don't believe they are trying to present a bubble full of people that don't have disease or illness, but rather a bubble where these don't become debilitating and people are involved in their own destiny.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomoho View Post
First of all I thought the article was also very flattering - but what would expect them to say. "Can you believe a place as horrible as The Villages would be involved in healthcare".
I didn't expect the article to say anything different than what it said. But I can wonder if the reporter/writer may have been a U.S.F graduate, and therefore very upbeat about anything U.S.F. is involved in. She most likely contacted U.S.F. and The Villages to get the story. So she got all the usual PR stuff that we get here in The Villages. I didn't say that I wish for a story that's critical of The Villages. You assumed it. The writer obviously only had one source of information, so what else would one expect?

Quote:
Second - there is a cohesiveness here that you don't find much anymore in neighborhoods. People outside the bubble are too involved with work and kids and technology to even recognize their neighbor if they ran into them in a store. People do look out for each other and have great pride in their Village.
Do you know all 100,000 residents well enough to speak for them? I think you are reporting your particular experiences or observations. I have had both good and bad experiences, not unlike other communities. Florida is full of "nice" retirement communities, so we are not that unique. But we are bigger of course.

Quote:
Third - I'm not sure how much sacrifice or lifestyle change you think they are looking for? I am quite confident there are more seniors involved in activities here then anywhere else in this country. Sure we probably eat too much and drink too much, but hopefully that is balanced by activity and most important preventative care. I think that more than anything is what The Villages Health is looking at. Be pro-active in your health care and if a problem arises tackle it early on or even better communicate with your doctor so you can continue to live this lifestyle.
On what do you base your confidence that more seniors are active here? Out of 100,000 residents, how many show up to participate or observe the senior olympic games? Only about 1% of the residents participate and those who show up to watch are close friends or relatives. More often than not the "eating and drinking too much" is not balanced with sufficient physical activity.

Quote:
I don't believe they are trying to present a bubble full of people that don't have disease or illness, but rather a bubble where these don't become debilitating and people are involved in their own destiny.
So how will we know if it's working? There's a turnover of people moving in and moving out. New people come in and some die, some go to nursing homes, some go to assisted living, and there are those who go back north to live with their children.

Last edited by Villages PL; 08-05-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,533 Times in 1,920 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
I didn't expect the article to say anything different than what it said. But I can wonder if the reporter/writer may have been a U.S.F graduate, and therefore very upbeat about anything U.S.F. is involved in. She most likely contacted U.S.F. and The Villages to get the story. So she got all the usual PR stuff that we get here in The Villages. I didn't say that I wish for a story that's critical of The Villages. You assumed it. The writer obviously only had once source of information, so what else would one expect?

Do you know all 100,000 residents well enough to speak for them? I think you are reporting your particular experiences or observations. I have had both good and bad experiences, not unlike other communities. Florida is full of "nice" retirement communities, so we are not that unique. But we are bigger of course.

On what do you base your confidence that more seniors are active here? Out of 100,000 residents, how many show up to participate or observe the senior olympic games? Only about 1% of the residents participate and those who show up to watch are close friends or relatives. More often than not the "eating and drinking too much" is not balanced with sufficient physical activity.

So how will we know if it's working? There's a turnover of people moving in and moving out. New people come in and some die, some go to nursing homes, some go to assisted living, and there are those who go back north to live with their children.

I have said it before, and I will say it again on this issue. Boy Howdy.
There isn't any way to know why the person wrote the article. It was probably of minimum interest to people who don't live here and are young.

There isn't any way that we can tell what percentage of villagers is interested in improving the health of this place. There isn't any way we can change the minds of people who have bad health habits. We are all allowed to do as we wish, either choose healthy things to do or suffer for our wrong choices. It doesn't seem to change anyone's mind to lecture, suggest, harangue and nag, repeat.. It will get the attention of those who agree and aggravate those who don't. (IN MY OPINION)

I think most people really don't strive for living without medicine or for living the longest and I can't agree that they should. Most people have other problems and can't or don't want to concentrate on the perfect diet. They want to live healthily but may not have the oomph or the interest for running or bicycling or working out , and eating what most of us consider an extreme diet, even if someone could guarantee that it would add years to our lives.

Most of us do the best we can considering who we are and how we feel and what we have experienced. Some people are on the path of perfection all of the time. Yep. And some are trying pretty much and some aren't trying.

We are lucky to influence the people we know well.

I have NO idea how many people I speak for. Maybe just me. Yes. Just me.

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-04-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

again - starting argumentative posting! all over a complimentary newspaper article! sheesh!

a 30% participation rate seems pretty god to me - especially given the fact that so many of the 100% population are snowbirds and might not have felt the need to participate in the survey since the villages does not provide their primary healthcare and year round activities.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:08 PM
Sage

Gomoho and Gracie...both well stated! Do not know why some folks are always thinking there's a 'grand conspiracy' going on. I read the article even shared it with friends as I'm excited that we'll perhaps get some quality health-care here. Before USF and T.V. brought this new idea here, we had to forge on our own to try to find someone to treat us and it was a crap-shoot to be sure. I remember the posts on TOTV pillaging certain practices here and maybe it was rightfully so...or not. Boy Howdy isn't a term we said where I came from BUT that about sums it up with the "sour grapes" extended on this thread. I can only imagine how many "pages" this post will bring about!
Old 08-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
There isn't any way that we can tell what percentage of villagers is interested in improving the health of this place.
They could ask that question on the next survey: Does anyone really care?

Quote:
There isn't any way we can change the minds of people who have bad health habits.
And yet, according to the Daily Sun (weekly articles) they are going to try. They claim they are going to teach people how to take care of themselves. Good luck with that.

Quote:
We are all allowed to do as we wish, either choose healthy things to do or suffer for our wrong choices.
Isn't that a defeatest attitude? Where is the cohesion, or desire, for the Villages to become America's healthiest hometown?

Quote:
It doesn't help to lecture, suggest, harangue and nag. You will get the attention of those who agree with you and aggravate those who don't.
Am I being lectured, harangued and nagged? Is this an example of it?

Quote:
The best way to get a point across is to live your life in such a way as to make people want to be more like you are. (IN MY OPINION)
If only they could have seen me eating my breakfast this morning.

Quote:
I think most people really don't strive for living without medicine or for living the longest and I can't agree that they should.
Living the longest is optional.

Quote:
Most people have other problems and can't or don't want to concentrate on the perfect diet.
But they have time to concentrate on a poor diet? They don't have to eat a perfect diet because there's no such thing as a perfect diet.

Quote:
They want to live healthily but may not have the oomph or the interest for running or bicycling or working out , and eating what most of us consider an extreme diet, even if someone could guarantee that it would add years to their lives.
I think I get it. You are speaking for all of them, and you're saying they want to live healthily but they don't want to do anything to earn earn it? That's really sad.

Quote:
I have NO idea how many people I speak for. It is just a gut feeling I have. Maybe just me.
Well, you just answered my question....ending on an honest note is much appreciated.

Last edited by Villages PL; 08-05-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:23 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
again - starting argumentative posting! all over a complimentary newspaper article! sheesh!
I predicted in my first post that I would eventually be attacked for raising questions. So much for cohesivness. It doesn't exist and you proved my point.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Gomoho and Gracie...both well stated! Do not know why some folks are always thinking there's a 'grand conspiracy' going on.
Just as I suggested in my first post: If you ask questions, expect to be attacked personally.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:32 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
I predicted in my first post that I would eventually be attacked for raising questions. So much for cohesivness. It doesn't exist and you proved my point.
sorry if you took that as an attack - certainly not meant to be! simply a statement of my frustration over argumentative posting. and you seem to be on a roll with same today. ciao!

Old 08-04-2013, 05:42 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbchbum View Post
sorry if you took that as an attack - certainly not meant to be! simply a statement of my frustration over argumentative posting. and you seem to be on a roll with same today. ciao!
As if once wasn't enough, you had to take a second bite of the apple. Good lord, I don't believe it.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post

Thanks for posting this great article!

I forwarded it to people

I will not get into the arguments that followed your post, though.

THANKS FOR THE ARTICLE. PERIOD.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.