Tri-care for retired military

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,036 Times in 2,525 Posts
Default Tri-care for retired military

Haven't been on Tri-care for 20 years other than secondary coverage with hardly never paid except when I had brain tumor removed not long after I retired form military. Getting ready to retire for good and thinking about tri-care again being I am retiring for the second time. Retired AF with 20+ years. As I understand it there are 3 options? Tri-care standard, Tri-care Prime, and Tri-care for life 65 and older? How does tri-care work in the villages for someone between the ages of 62 to 65?.

I know there is VA hospital but as far as I know I am not edible beings I am not disabled? Don't know why I would qualify for VA being I was in military service for 20 years. Can Anybody comment on how the system works at or around the villages for us retiree's and how much out of pocket expense do you paid. Figuring out budget on my retired pay and I know Medical will be big part of it. Thanks for any that take the time to respond.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:48 PM
Sage

I used Tricare Standard when I moved to TV upon retirement from my job (non-military). I had co-pays and deductibles, but I only remember them being around $35, although some were more for outpatient surgery. I've been on Tricare For Life for a few years and it works well with Medicare as the primary coverage. I think Tricare Prime has been discontinued in this area.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Veteran member

I have TriCare Prime but it will go away after 30 Sep. If you want to keep Prime, you must be willing to get your care at MacDill which is almost 2 hours away.

TriCare Standard is a good option if you are under 65. There are copays and an annual cap. Since I will be automatically switched to Standard after Prime goes away and there are no enrollment fees (yet), that will be my first choice for urgent care.

I recently enrolled in the VA for routine care. They have an excellent clinic here in The Villages and a hospital in Gainesville. I don't pay anything because I have a 10% disability. I can still get meds from TriCare mail order. As a retiree without a disability, you would pay a $15 copay for outpatient visits.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:28 PM

You have a lot of homework to do, but you will be happy about the results. In summary, between Medicare and Tri-care for Life I have not paid a cent on medical care. I have been in The Villages Regional three times and Leesburg once. Had a cancer scare and all that goes with that too. I am a 100% service connected veteran and take advantage of those benefits, some of which Medicare and Tri-Care don't cover and the local VA Clinic is absolutely fabulous and have been to Gainesville hospital too, during the cancer scare. I sort of look to them as a security blanket, should I ever need something.
You should have absolutely no problem with Medicare and Tri-Care for Life. All of the news articles refer to Tri-Care for retirees not of Medicare age being in jeopardy, but those over 65 are still safe..
Old 08-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Sage

Thanks all for your input and information: logdog if I understand you correctly I can go to the VA clinic or hospital but would have copay beings I am military retiree without disability?

I will have 3 year or less depending on when I retire and final get TOTVs. (I have to sell my house before I can buy in the villages can't afford two houses at once, that could take year or more) For what you all are informing me Tri-care standard Does pay, But I have to reach out of pocket expense cap before it kicks in?

Now my wife as dependent with tri-care standard. Questions for those in that situation under 65 but over 62. Is the out of pocket cap the same? copay would not be problem just treatments/illness that may cost thousands to get over it we get ill between 62 and 65 ? I have MHBP at my present job. But, It will take probably close to half of my retirement from that job which I really don't want to pay for it if I have my military benefits I can rely on.

Again thanks for the responses and information
Old 08-04-2013, 01:30 PM
Veteran member

Check the TriCare and VA websites for details pertaining to your specific situation. I have not had any experiences with Standard yet but my understanding is that there are nominal copays for care that are capped annually. The VA will accept anyone with honorable military service subject to means testing. My spouse qualified due to her 5 years of service post Vietnam but has the copay. The VA really relaxed the eligibility rules a few years ago. I never used to be a fan of VA medical care but the clinic here seems to be very good. Once you hit 65, TriCare For Life is the way to go.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:45 PM
Sage

thanks, Rc
Old 08-15-2013, 11:52 PM

RC, I was in very much the same position that you are in. I was retired had good insurance with the company I worked for but because I had to go on disability my premium was 800.00 a month. My wife was retired and paying a 750.00 for a separate premium for herself. One day while at NAS Great Lakes there was a table setup for Tricare. I explained my situation and both of the counselors laughed and said they wished that they had the money I was throwing away. I have many health issues and did not want to change doctors and thought that I would have to with Tricare. They suggested Tricare Standard. You see any doctor you wish. No monthly fee. You only pay a percentage for each visit until you reach a 3,000.00 limit. With all my problems I never reached that limit, mostly around 1800.00 for the year. You do the math. With Tricare for Life I have not paid anything out of pocket since I turned 65. Contact a Tricare office at a military base and they will guide you. Thanks for your service.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8tpw View Post
You have a lot of homework to do, but you will be happy about the results. In summary, between Medicare and Tri-care for Life I have not paid a cent on medical care. I have been in The Villages Regional three times and Leesburg once. Had a cancer scare and all that goes with that too. I am a 100% service connected veteran and take advantage of those benefits, some of which Medicare and Tri-Care don't cover and the local VA Clinic is absolutely fabulous and have been to Gainesville hospital too, during the cancer scare. I sort of look to them as a security blanket, should I ever need something.
You should have absolutely no problem with Medicare and Tri-Care for Life. All of the news articles refer to Tri-Care for retirees not of Medicare age being in jeopardy, but those over 65 are still safe..
Same for me- Right on

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.