What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic.

Closed Thread
Old 03-04-2020, 07:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlcooper70 View Post
If you want to believe that the president knows more than the CDC then that's your choice. However, it is more likely that the professor (above) is more knowledgeable.
The president's job is NOT to be an expert virologist. His job is to provide leadership in a crisis. Whether or not he is doing this is up to each individual to decide. We all know the media has already decided, but we all will get a vote in November.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:03 AM

Good stuff... Thanks
Old 03-04-2020, 08:11 AM

Thanks for the info!
Old 03-04-2020, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
Seems a lot of trouble for what both our President and Vice President says is very low risk.
They are hoping it kills more Dems 😉😆
Old 03-04-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I switched to Coors
Budweiser 'The King of Beers'
Old 03-04-2020, 08:19 AM

there is a wise ass in every crowd!
Old 03-04-2020, 08:29 AM

Good recommendations. For personal protection.
We will soon know how important these precautions are and I would add that our exposure in public gatherings will also be tested.
Old 03-04-2020, 08:54 AM
Send a message via AIM to HelenLCSW

Thank you, Jim💛
Old 03-04-2020, 09:39 AM

Is your 'president' or 'vice president' medical professionals? You might want to listen to what that epidemiologist has to say.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:52 AM

Ok kiddies ….. let's watch out for that political rancor. Keep it nice my friends. We have enough other sources to vent our anger.
Old 03-04-2020, 09:57 AM

Thank you, Jacksonbrown for sharing this COVID 19 important information. There were several things mentioned that I would not have thought of. Good info for all!
Old 03-04-2020, 10:33 AM
Exclamation This is FALSE INFORMATION.

THIS IS FALSE INFORMATION! The surgeon general says - to not stock up on masks AND Zince Lozenges have proven not to do anything re: cold viruses. People should check validity of information before posting!

See SNOPES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonbrown View Post
Date: February 26, 2020 at 2:35:50 PM EST
Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic.

Dear Colleagues, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.

The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.

Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

1) NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.
2) Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.
3) Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.
4) Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.
5) Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.
6) Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.
7) If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:

1) Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.

Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.

3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.

I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to all of us!

Jim

James Robb, MD FCAP
Old 03-04-2020, 11:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Am I worried. NO, it’s a big deal, until the next virus comes along. But if you have stock in medical supplies bonus
Old 03-04-2020, 11:28 AM

Dr. Drew: Media-driven panic over coronavirus is a bigger problem than the virus | Fox News
Old 03-04-2020, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

I 100% agree.
Very likely an agenda item aimed at disrupting the economy toward some hopeful political advantage/leverage.
Closed Thread

Tags
virus, mouth, pandemic, nose, hand

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.