Have paydays in sports gotten obnoxious?

Closed Thread
Old 08-30-2022, 02:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,140 Times in 816 Posts

My son is a VP at one of our local banks.

All of those "up-scale" mucky-mucky bean counts that sign on at banks, have an enclosure in their contracts
that when they leave the bank for any reason, their incentives pay them more to leave then they make working.

Imagine that?
Old 08-30-2022, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,303 Times in 4,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
That's probably correct for US football, baseball, and basketball. I'm not sure about soccer? But, pro tennis players and golfers probably have careers longer than 10 years on average.
And they get paid only if they win...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-30-2022, 04:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,915 Times in 1,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
However do you really think the govt would do a better job spending their money via taxes than rich people making investments and providing jobs? Rich people do not keep their money under their mattress.
Yes of course the US government would do a better job of spending money than the rich 1% does. In Miami night clubs the sons and daughters of RICH 1% ers try to outdo each other as to who has more money by throwing glasses of wine at $400/ glass over their shoulders. That was a story in the Miami Newspapers and throughout the US several years ago. Many in TV Land MAY remember that story. And Jeff Bezos needed to enlarge his ALREADY obnoxiously large yacht so his wife could land her obnoxiously expensive helicopter on that STATUS SYMBOL. Status symbols and showing off POWER and wealth are what they are ALL about now. They don't NEED that extra wealth as much as you and I need better roads, hospitals, airports (US is outdated), Police, good PUBLIC schools (like we had in the 1950s), bridges, affordable Universities, vocational education, other infrastructure, and many other improvements.

Why were all these things better in the 1950s and 1960s.....ask yourself ? There were no Bezos and Zuckerbergs then Jack Welsh was a piker in comparison to today - vampire squids sucking the middle class away. Because the tax system was progressive meaning higher rates for the higher earners - the potential vampire squids of America.

And super rich business people like Bezos and Zuckerberg are similar to OVERPAID athletes. ASk why? Same, same answer ........the tax brackets mean EVERYTHING. Now some athletes may be wonderful people and give back. And some CEOs may be wonderful people - like Warren Buffet. But, for many their richness drives them to be vampire squids - they go power and greed crazy. It's all caused by the moving of the tax system from progressive to practically FLAT from around 1975 to today! Look at what Putin's tax bracket is .....he pays ZERO and robs from his government! And you know what that US tax system change from 1950 to today is the same as a change from democracy TOWARD Dictatorship. Sports paydays are just a reflection of those changes. When Bill Russel played for the Celtics in 1960, he did not make a ton of money compared to today. The sports MONEY drifted upward from the middle-class sports players to the uber-wealthy pro sport athletes of today. Sport and society.....it is ALL the same.
Old 08-30-2022, 04:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,449 Times in 2,280 Posts

Quote:
Yes of course the US government would do a better job of spending money than the rich 1% does. In Miami night clubs the sons and daughters of RICH 1% ers try to outdo each other as to who has more money by throwing glasses of wine at $400/ glass over their shoulders. That was a story in the Miami Newspapers and throughout the US several years ago. Many in TV Land MAY remember that story. And Jeff Bezos needed to enlarge his ALREADY obnoxiously large yacht so his wife could land her obnoxiously expensive helicopter on that STATUS SYMBOL. Status symbols and showing off POWER and wealth are what they are ALL about now. They don't NEED that extra wealth as much as you and I need better roads, hospitals, airports (US is outdated), Police, good PUBLIC schools (like we had in the 1950s), bridges, affordable Universities, vocational education, other infrastructure, and many other improvements.

Why were all these things better in the 1950s and 1960s.....ask yourself ? There were no Bezos and Zuckerbergs then Jack Welsh was a piker in comparison to today - vampire squids sucking the middle class away. Because the tax system was progressive meaning higher rates for the higher earners - the potential vampire squids of America.

And super rich business people like Bezos and Zuckerberg are similar to OVERPAID athletes. ASk why? Same, same answer ........the tax brackets mean EVERYTHING. Now some athletes may be wonderful people and give back. And some CEOs may be wonderful people - like Warren Buffet. But, for many their richness drives them to be vampire squids - they go power and greed crazy. It's all caused by the moving of the tax system from progressive to practically FLAT from around 1975 to today! Look at what Putin's tax bracket is .....he pays ZERO and robs from his government! And you know what that US tax system change from 1950 to today is the same as a change from democracy TOWARD Dictatorship. Sports paydays are just a reflection of those changes. When Bill Russel played for the Celtics in 1960, he did not make a ton of money compared to today. The sports MONEY drifted upward from the middle-class sports players to the uber-wealthy pro sport athletes of today. Sport and society.....it is ALL the same.
I guess you never heard of guys like Rockefeller, DuPont, Carnegie, Vanderbilt, Morgan, etc. They defined what wealthy and powerful is.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 08-30-2022, 05:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,915 Times in 1,533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
I guess you never heard of guys like Rockefeller, DuPont, Carnegie, Vanderbilt, Morgan, etc. They defined what wealthy and powerful is.
I believe that a lot of the generosity and charity of those famous historic wealthy individuals came about because of pressure from the tax system. Carnegie, likely had a choice between paying taxes to the Federal Government or giving money to a library system and a University. It's like a choice between giving money locally or to the whole nation. He probably gave locally for many reasons - one of which would be that his name would be on many buildings in his local area. The highest tax bracket that he was in may ? have been partly responsible for his generosity. I would think that this is an example of good laws (tax laws) nudging citizens in the RIGHT direction.

I am NOT a gifted Historian and I have no way to be sure just what was the relationship of those "Captains of US Industry" and the existing tax law of that era. I would IMAGINE that there was an effect. There seems to be some high level Historians here in TV Land, so maybe they could render a further clarification of that question?

I appreciate your interesting comments on America's great "Industry Captains.
Old 08-30-2022, 06:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,303 Times in 4,313 Posts

Quote:
I believe that a lot of the generosity and charity of those famous historic wealthy individuals came about because of pressure from the tax system. Carnegie, likely had a choice between paying taxes to the Federal Government or giving money to a library system and a University. It's like a choice between giving money locally or to the whole nation. He probably gave locally for many reasons - one of which would be that his name would be on many buildings in his local area. The highest tax bracket that he was in may ? have been partly responsible for his generosity. I would think that this is an example of good laws (tax laws) nudging citizens in the RIGHT direction.

I am NOT a gifted Historian and I have no way to be sure just what was the relationship of those "Captains of US Industry" and the existing tax law of that era. I would IMAGINE that there was an effect. There seems to be some high level Historians here in TV Land, so maybe they could render a further clarification of that question?

I appreciate your interesting comments on America's great "Industry Captains.
Those "Captains of Industry" had another name... "Robber Barons"...

-Tom Petty
Old 08-30-2022, 06:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,154 Times in 5,381 Posts

Quote:

Guess I have to repeat myself. These rich people buy stuff and invest in business that provide lots of jobs. Govt brings new meaning to inefficient spending and waste.
Old 08-30-2022, 09:27 PM
Platinum member
Default Southern manners

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmintzer View Post
lord knows that the sec (south east conference) of college football has no rabid fans...

They all must be out doing other things...
southern weather didn't prevent rabid raider fans from venting their rage at opposing team fans
Old 08-30-2022, 09:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,755 Times in 1,531 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Where does it end??? A surgeon saves lives and makes peanuts compared to professional sports.... Our values are "out of whack "
Fashion models make huge money for what?
I understand the "whys" and "wherefores" of compensation, but I don't always agree when it seems over the top excessive.
Old 08-31-2022, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,154 Times in 5,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
Fashion models make huge money for what?
I understand the "whys" and "wherefores" of compensation, but I don't always agree when it seems over the top excessive.
Models make huge salaries as the companies that sell the stuff think that when the model wears their clothes or endorses them they will sell more.

Otherwise they would not get paid what they do.
Old 08-31-2022, 08:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

You’re exactly right!
Old 08-31-2022, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,755 Times in 1,531 Posts

Quote:
Models make huge salaries as the companies that sell the stuff think that when the model wears their clothes or endorses them they will sell more.

I understand that. I just think that, in some instances, compensation is excessive. One pretty woman in a dress shouldn't make the dress more attractive than if another pretty woman wore it. Just my opinion.
Old 09-04-2022, 09:53 AM
Platinum member

Sports generates $$. The highest paid public employees in 40 of the 50 states are college coaches. There is a reason for that.
Surgeons saving lives by putting saline bags in boobs probably went to a school where the football team subsidized the medical school.
Old 09-04-2022, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,169 Times in 2,787 Posts

Quote:

Yup, Gisele Bundchen, Tom Brady’s supermodel wife, has more career earnings than the greatest football player ever.
Old 09-04-2022, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
And they get paid only if they win...
Pretty sure everyone who makes the cut gets a paycheck. Some a very big paycheck.
Closed Thread

Tags
sports, values, professional, compared, peanuts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.