Ryder Cup

Closed Thread
Old 09-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Ah well.....congratulations Europe.....well played!!
Old 09-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,534 Times in 1,921 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Dang.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:51 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Old saying replaced. It's no longer "folded like a cheap suit", now it's "folded like the 2012 Ryder Cup team"
Old 09-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

What a shocker. At least in '99 you could say that the Americans are generally better at singles but this is inexplicable.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Sage

I'm surprised Dotty Pepper didn't reprise her "choking dogs" comment from the Solheim Cup a few years ago.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:19 AM
Bosoxfan

Phil Mickelson...CHOKE!!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2012, 05:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeod View Post
I'm surprised Dotty Pepper didn't reprise her "choking dogs" comment from the Solheim Cup a few years ago.
That was my thought too. In this case, probably appropriate, unfortunately.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:28 AM

I must say this is the first time I watched and enjoyed golf as a spectator. Our son got us tickets to the practice/celebrity rounds on Tuesday. It was an amazing experience.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:02 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
What was expected to be a closely contested Ryder Cup is turning into a route for the U.S. Right now we are up 10-4. The best the Europeans can do is 10-6 today. Of course, that's not a lock because that's the same score we were losing by at Brookline when we made that great comeback.Great golf by our guys so far!!
It aint over until the fat lady sings----thank you for the hourly updates ----poor - poor tiger - I just love him
Old 10-01-2012, 07:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

It's funny everyone using the word choke to describe what happened on Sunday. It's hard for me to think that eight out of ten players "choked".

Friday afternoon Tiger and Steve Stricker had clawed their way back from four or five down to get their match to the 18 hole. Tiger missed a seven foot putt to win that hole and take a half a point. When he missed that putt, I thought to myself, "If they lose this by 1/2 point, that's the half point right there."

It's easy to see all those missed putts on the final day or the final few holes, but not many people think about all the missed shots over the previous four rounds.

Also, give the Europeans credit. They are all great players and played very well.

A side note; Tiger and Stricker did not win 1/2 point between them. Mickelson/Bradley won three points on Saturday and Sunday.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosoxfan View Post
Phil Mickelson...CHOKE!!!!!!!
Phil Michelson did not choke!!???? That was just a great putt by Rose on 16, then maybe the most crucial putt on 17. The word "choke' was definetly not there, by Michelson. Now if you mention Tiger or Stricker, then yes they did choke.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Gold member

Calling Michelson's performance a choke is unfair and isn't justifiable. His opponent simply made some magnificent shots when it counted the most. Michelson played well enough to win but was beaten by a great performance by Justin Rose. Furyk, on the other hand, choked big time, just like he did in several other PGA tournaments in 2012. I couldn't believe how much time Furyk took on a couple of putts at the end, and after he relined one putt up FOR THE FIFTH TIME, I was pulling for him to miss it. Stricker was simply bad, and while he really didn't choke, he played horribly for all three days. It's hard to say what Tiger's performance was overall. He did have seven birdies in his match on the second day and still lost. And in singles his opponent came from nowhere and played great. All in all a very forgettable Ryder Cup for the U.S. squad. Sad. But it was great to see Rory play so well - he's fearless.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:39 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
Calling Michelson's performance a choke is unfair and isn't justifiable. His opponent simply made some magnificent shots when it counted the most. Michelson played well enough to win but was beaten by a great performance by Justin Rose. Furyk, on the other hand, choked big time, just like he did in several other PGA tournaments in 2012. I couldn't believe how much time Furyk took on a couple of putts at the end, and after he relined one putt up FOR THE FIFTH TIME, I was pulling for him to miss it. Stricker was simply bad, and while he really didn't choke, he played horribly for all three days. It's hard to say what Tiger's performance was overall. He did have seven birdies in his match on the second day and still lost. And in singles his opponent came from nowhere and played great. All in all a very forgettable Ryder Cup for the U.S. squad. Sad. But it was great to see Rory play so well - he's fearless.
I agree. Phil almost made that great chip shot that just missed going in only to watch Rose drop in an unbelievable putt. Losing and choking are not the same thing. Although Phil did miss the 18th green from the middle of the fairway. But speaking of choking, I don't think Furyk will ever get over his recent failures. I predicted that he would not find the fairway on the last two holes. It was agonizing to watch him take so much time over those last two putts. In the best of circumstances his pre-putt routine is terrible to watch. It became even worse under pressure. As for Tiger, I never saw the spark in his eyes. His eyes looked dead throughout all of it. Even Jason Duffner showed more emotion than Tiger.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,321 Times in 548 Posts

Best way to describe this Ryder Cup is----Europe wanted to win it more than team USA. Now, this was at the unconscious level of play and this happens when you can make those impossible putts (like Rose) and just miss them like the USA did time after time. I don't think team USA thought they could lose on Sunday----they found out they could! Michelson/Bradley should have played Saturday afternoon while they were "hot" instead of sitting around with their wives watching. Woods/Streaker should have stayed on the bench Saturday afternoon. Of course, this is Monday morning "quarterbacking"----but bad decisions are still bad decisions. Lastly, Hunter Mahon should have been one of the captain picks instead of Furyk or Streaker.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:25 PM

justjim,

I agree with you completely!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.