Country Club Restaurants

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2022, 10:17 AM

Your best may not be someone else's best. Your list is your opinion. Not mine.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:19 AM
Default Palmer is the best we have found

[QUOTE=Garywt;2160305]I was just going by the ratings of Village restaurants based on reviews. Red Sauce is #1 and Glenview is #2. As for your list:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
The best restaurants in TV in alphabetical order:
Blue Fin never been, don’t like the menu
Bone Fish never been
Coastal Del Mar new so have not been yet
Chop House do not like, will not return
Harvest never been, don’t like the menu
Havana been once, it was fine
Lopez never been, will try at some point
Mezza Luna been once and it was good
Palmer never been, not sure if I’ll try, heard there is a dress code
Prima never been, will try at some point
Glenview and Red Sauce are average at best, maybe but we like them and as said ranked 1 and 2.
Agree with your list, basically. many restaurants are good. Good service, nice presentation, nice atmosphere, higher prices. A "Best" restaurant involves all of these items, but if you are judging strictly by the food/presentation itself, we have found nothing as good as Palmer. Not cheap. I think that cost is why Lopez constantly comes up in front of Palmer. I don't understand that. You will definitely pay more at Palmer, but the food is never less than an "A" rating in my judgement.

The lobster bisque is the best we have had anywhere. Usually big chunks of lobster in it and a taste that you will remember months and years after having it (all visiting friends anticipate it when they return). My favorite steak is the Filet Oscar. I get the small size with a cup of lobster bisque and a Cabernet Sauvignon. If you want to have the best atmosphere, ask for table 43 near the patio window (4 persons). They have 5 chefs there and I have spoken with a couple of them after eating. There is also a special happy hour menu with about 5-7 items or so at the bar (again, I am talking FOOD here and not other things) that are always plated-up nicely (you eat with your eyes first!) and have ALWAYS been delicious to my wife and I after more than a year of going there.

IMHO, Palmer is very under-rated. I would love it if OP tried Palmer Legends and then reported back on what they think!
Old 11-24-2022, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

[QUOTE=flsteve;2160481]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
I was just going by the ratings of Village restaurants based on reviews. Red Sauce is #1 and Glenview is #2. As for your list:

Agree with your list, basically. many restaurants are good. Good service, nice presentation, nice atmosphere, higher prices. A "Best" restaurant involves all of these items, but if you are judging strictly by the food/presentation itself, we have found nothing as good as Palmer. Not cheap. I think that cost is why Lopez constantly comes up in front of Palmer. I don't understand that. You will definitely pay more at Palmer, but the food is never less than an "A" rating in my judgement.

The lobster bisque is the best we have had anywhere. Usually big chunks of lobster in it and a taste that you will remember months and years after having it (all visiting friends anticipate it when they return). My favorite steak is the Filet Oscar. I get the small size with a cup of lobster bisque and a Cabernet Sauvignon. If you want to have the best atmosphere, ask for table 43 near the patio window (4 persons). They have 5 chefs there and I have spoken with a couple of them after eating. There is also a special happy hour menu with about 5-7 items or so at the bar (again, I am talking FOOD here and not other things) that are always plated-up nicely (you eat with your eyes first!) and have ALWAYS been delicious to my wife and I after more than a year of going there.

IMHO, Palmer is very under-rated. I would love it if OP tried Palmer Legends and then reported back on what they think!
I think Palmer is better than Lopez. Their meat entrees are great. I feel their prices are worth the quality.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:55 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,106 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomPerry View Post
Seems a lot of people are comparing Country Clubs and their restaurants in The Villages with their Country Club up North. In my opinion, that’s an unrealistic comparison!

There are 13 country clubs in TV (11 with restaurants), all owned by the TV with restaurants operated as concessions. These country clubs are servicing 140,000 people in one community. Up North, communities may have a few golf courses and one or maybe two Country Clubs. Usually northern Country Clubs are considered “exclusive “ as they charge an initiation fee and fairly high annual dues and require a minimum monthly restaurant charge (one person here said his club had a monthly minimum of $600 - $800).

In my opinion, to expect the TV Country Clubs and their restaurants to compare to an Exclusive Country Club up North is unrealistic! Get Real!
A community of 140,000 people, a huge percentage of whom play golf, could certainly support a Country Club or two, that provided a reasonable country club atmosphere and associated services.

I understand that the "country clubs" in The Villages are nothing more than public golf courses with restaurants. That doesn't mean that at least a couple of them, shouldn't consider raising their standards a little and provide a modicum of service, quality and environment, consistent with what most country club members expect. Many residents here, would gladly pay added freight charges.
Old 11-24-2022, 11:02 AM

I’ve been to several and they are top notch food and atmosphere.
Old 11-24-2022, 11:03 AM

Great description from the OP - totally agree. If Lopez is the best, I'm glad I haven't gone to any others - just plain awful. To each his own just like what folks say is the best pizza. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder or eater in this case.

Last edited by maistocars; 11-24-2022 at 11:05 AM. Reason: added word
Old 11-24-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Can anyone explain why the country club restaurants are so inferior to chop house in bluefin with the same ownership?
Same ownership, however catering to a different clientele. The Country Clubs focused on those that have limited interest in creative meals, but focused on cost, as compared to discriminating clients who are willing to pay more for quality and inspiration in their dining experience. Just compare the menus and you can see for your self.
Old 11-24-2022, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,568 Times in 3,129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
I tried the golf course once, that was enough for me. That was my first and last visit to the "Historic Section". Great euphemism they've installed in the hearts and minds of all Villagers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Nice cheap shot.
Y'know what? As long as it's "good enough" to keep them in business, I'm happy to see most people stay far away. Less crowds, more chairs available at the pool, less having to wait to sit in the hot tub, and less waiting for a table in the restaurant or waiting for your food to come out, or the bartender to make you another drink.

It's not a 4-star restaurant. It's better than mediocre and it's consistent. So anyone who wants to snob up about it being in the Historic Section or be upset that the golf course isn't pristine, enjoy the waiting list at Legacy. While you're waiting to sit, I'll be enjoying my "better than mediocre, consistent" lemon-basil butterfish.
Old 11-24-2022, 11:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,303 Times in 4,313 Posts

Quote:
After being in The Villages for almost a year, I had my first dinner at a Country Club, last night.

It sort of reminded me of Howard Johnson's, in the 70's. Dated decor, old silverware, wrapped in a paper napkin ... mashed potatoes, served with an "ice cream scooper". The food was ok, but was more like the kind of food you would find at a casual Mom & Pop restaurant, on a back road somewhere.

Without mentioning the name of which country club I was at, is it reasonable to assume all the country clubs all fairly similar?
No, they are quite different... A few are owned by the FMK group (the same people who own Blue Fin, Harvest, the Chop House and the new Costal del Mar). They own Belle Glade, Bonifay, and Evans Prarie. Palmer and Lopez are more "high end"..

Several of them are older (hence the decor) and could use a face lift...

-Tom Petty
Old 11-24-2022, 12:20 PM
Platinum member

If you think restaurants in TV are mediocre today let me say from personal experience, they’re better today than they were 5-10 years ago. There’s still a few who’ve managed to stay in business without any improvement, i.e. The Lighthouse, and Cody’s, but I’m sure they also have a following.
Old 11-24-2022, 01:32 PM

Totally agree with your ranking!
Old 11-24-2022, 02:48 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,106 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpalladino View Post
Same ownership, however catering to a different clientele. The Country Clubs focused on those that have limited interest in creative meals, but focused on cost, as compared to discriminating clients who are willing to pay more for quality and inspiration in their dining experience. Just compare the menus and you can see for your self.
If the Chop House & Blue Fin are "quality & inspiration", I'm definitely in the wrong place to find a decent restaurant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDCART View Post
If you think restaurants in TV are mediocre today let me say from personal experience, they’re better today than they were 5-10 years ago. There’s still a few who’ve managed to stay in business without any improvement, i.e. The Lighthouse, and Cody’s, but I’m sure they also have a following.
I had the unfortunate experience of eating at Lighthouse last week. It was not a very pleasant experience. Oh well, now I at least know better.
Old 11-24-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:
After being in The Villages for almost a year, I had my first dinner at a Country Club, last night.

It sort of reminded me of Howard Johnson's, in the 70's. Dated decor, old silverware, wrapped in a paper napkin ... mashed potatoes, served with an "ice cream scooper". The food was ok, but was more like the kind of food you would find at a casual Mom & Pop restaurant, on a back road somewhere.

Without mentioning the name of which country club I was at, is it reasonable to assume all the country clubs all fairly similar?
Thanks for the warning…😳
Old 11-24-2022, 03:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,394 Times in 2,405 Posts

Quote:
If the Chop House & Blue Fin are "quality & inspiration", I'm definitely in the wrong place to find a decent restaurant.

I had the unfortunate experience of eating at Lighthouse last week. It was not a very pleasant experience. Oh well, now I at least know better.
One could conclude that The Villages was a poor choice for you.
Old 11-24-2022, 05:25 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

In our fifteen years in TV, Lopez Legacy has consistently been our pick as the best country club restaurant. That said, we will be first to admit that we have limited experience with “fine dining” restaurants. We did belong to a private country club during my working years that was considered the best in a 300,000 population area. BTW, the restaurant was not profitable and was subsidized by the membership.

Tags
country, club, food, mom, fairly

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.