Do we have Ocean-friendly restaurants in the Villages?

Do we have Ocean-friendly restaurants in the Villages?

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 03:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I agree, it's disgusting to see pictures of our ocean abuse.
People justify the use of water bottles by saying that they are recycled.
I like to think that all recycled bottles are made into carryalls.
I'm not sure about that; a lot of plastic seems to end up in the ocean.
If water bottles aren't recycled, would discontinuing their use be a good start?
It is a people problem....too lazy to use the trash receptacles. If they ban plastic bottles, then you will have glass bottles getting broken all over the beaches, etc. No more going barefoot, Barefoot.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."

Old 12-16-2018, 03:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
It is a people problem....too lazy to use the trash receptacles. If they ban plastic bottles, then you will have glass bottles getting broken all over the beaches, etc. No more going barefoot, Barefoot.
Never underestimate the ingenuity of people to come up with some kind of solution especially if there is a huge demand for one. Ooho: The Eco-Friendly Substitute to Plastic Bottles -Prescouter - Custom Intelligence, On-Demand
Sponsored Links
The real problem is "to go" orders
Old 12-16-2018, 03:33 PM
Sage

Default The real problem is "to go" orders

Doggie bags and fast food are killers. My dog would miss his snacks for sure. Capt. D's uses a lot of paper products in their dine-in, can't think of any others. We never use straws at home, so we decline any straws when out.
Old 12-16-2018, 04:22 PM
Sage

There isn't a huge effort in TV to recycle. Drive around on recycle days and notice the number of driveways that only have one garbage bag. Sit a postal station and watch the people sort their mail in their car and throw what they don't want in the trash instead of taking home and recycling, count how many people take reusable bags to the grocery store and how many take their groceries home in plastic. While it may make us feel good to go after the popular issue of the day, it seems many can preach but not practice. For those that recycle at home, use reusable bags at the grocery and throw their junk mail in recycle bins at home thank you for your contribution. For those that don't, please consider the options.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-16-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Good one, you get 5 points for that one, giggle! Just wondering about plastic found on our shores.
Would love return to bio-degradables again!

Why the concern about restaurants in TV specifically? I would imagine the 100,000+ people living here would be a much bigger issue. We personally recycle more than we throw away every week. Perhaps you would like to start a local awareness campaign, since this is what concerns you the most?
Old 12-16-2018, 04:42 PM
Sage

Unhappy

It has a happy ending.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:23 PM
Veteran member

Since the OP didn't answer the question, I'll assume that the original post was only intended to drag up the greenie debate for the 2nd or 3rd time this week.

Last edited by spring_chicken; 12-17-2018 at 10:58 AM.
Old 12-16-2018, 07:58 PM

And let’s not forget about all the golfers hitting plastic balls into all of the ponds, when will it stop, please do it for the children
Old 12-16-2018, 11:05 PM
Veteran member

Location: The Berkshires of Western Massachusetts and the Villages

Not really sure what this thread is even about? I am about the biggest lover of the ocean you will ever find. Scuba dive, deep sea fish, swim daily, and eat a very dominant seafood diet. My friends tell me that I should have been born a fish instead of a human? How does the OP blame the restaurants in the Villages for not being Ocean friendly? The restaurants in the Villages are about 1 1/2 hour form either coast of Florida and there are very few that even serve seafood (at least decent seafood). Is this another plastic straw rant?
Ocean Friendly Restaurants
Old 12-17-2018, 04:25 AM

Default Ocean Friendly Restaurants

What you can do as a consumer is to copy down the requirements for an Ocean Friendly Restaurant, and then ask your waiter if the restaurant complies with any of the criteria. Tell them you want to support places of business who care about the environment. For yourself, do not take straws or to-go boxes. Bring your own container to restaurants for left over food. Never use a plastic water bottle. Don't ask for water at a restaurant and then not drink it. Look for ways to reduce waste. There are hundreds of things you as an individual and a person can do. The biggest thing would be to quit using pesticides on your lawn and replace turf with groundcover and plants which are native to FLorida.
Closed Thread

Tags
abuse, ocean, courage, locally, pictures