Do we have Ocean-friendly restaurants in the Villages?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 12-17-2018, 03:50 PM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is online now
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,616
Thanks: 1,060
Thanked 156 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
There isn't a huge effort in TV to recycle. Drive around on recycle days and notice the number of driveways that only have one garbage bag.
I assumed that every house recycles - I guess I've never driven around on garbage day.
We have one garbage can for recycling, one for actual garbage; we actually recycle more than we send out in garbage.
It is very easy to recycle. Please do it for our grandchildren.
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
  #32  
Old 12-17-2018, 04:21 PM
Henryk's Avatar
Henryk Henryk is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,307
Thanks: 45
Thanked 28 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I assumed that every house recycles - I guess I've never driven around on garbage day.
We have one garbage can for recycling, one for actual garbage; we actually recycle more than we send out in garbage.
It is very easy to recycle. Please do it for our grandchildren.
I agree. My trash is a small bag. My recycling is three 13-gallon bags.
__________________
A hammer is not a screwdriver. (My grandfather Bill.)
  #33  
Old 12-17-2018, 04:56 PM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 4,173
Thanks: 199
Thanked 1,755 Times in 689 Posts
Default

So, why do they only pick up the recycling once per week, but they pick up the trash twice per week?
  #34  
Old 12-17-2018, 05:15 PM
Aloha1 Aloha1 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 832
Thanks: 497
Thanked 321 Times in 131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Could you please supply some substantial, factual backup for your claim ? Thanks.

"The largest source of greenhouse gas emissions from human activities in the United States is from burning fossil fuels for electricity, heat, and transportation."


Sources of Greenhouse Gas Emissions | Greenhouse Gas (GHG) Emissions | US EPA
Please re read my post. I never said the US didn't produce CO2 ( that's a natural event of all living creatures). What I said is that the BIGGEST producers of CO2 emissions are other countries, NOT the US.

Aside from that, It is established fact that CO2 emissions on a global basis are currently below levels identified by paleoclimatologists . Not to side track, but historically the earth has generally been warmer than it is today.
__________________
Roseville, MI, East Lansing, MI, Okemos, MI, Kapalua, HI, Village of Pine Ridge
  #35  
Old 12-17-2018, 06:04 PM
fw102807
Guest
Posts: n/a
Default

Yes recycling should be good but yes there are problems as well. It needs to be done correctly. This is another example about how we need to learn to not just accept everything at face value and look at both sides before we jump to conclusions.

Recycling is in trouble — and it might be your fault
  #36  
Old 12-18-2018, 12:28 AM
voyageur75 voyageur75 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Bluefin in Brownwood...very good restaurant.
  #37  
Old 12-18-2018, 03:45 AM
Bay Kid's Avatar
Bay Kid Bay Kid is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Posts: 2,956
Thanks: 282
Thanked 593 Times in 281 Posts
Default

Lots of trash come from ships disposing their trash while at sea.
  #38  
Old 12-18-2018, 08:46 AM
Two Bills Two Bills is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,748
Thanks: 279
Thanked 1,332 Times in 502 Posts
Default

Every generation from the year Dot, has had to clear up the mess left behind from previous generations.

I hearby bequeath, and leave all my mess in the capable hands of my children and their children, and their cildren and..................!!
W.W.
  #39  
Old 12-18-2018, 09:12 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is online now
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 37,766
Thanks: 2,253
Thanked 1,717 Times in 660 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Science is studying Bovine defecation.

Which contains Methane, a contributor to greenhouse gases.

Methane gas from cows: The proof is in the feces -- ScienceDaily

But Disney had the answer many years ago; This animal cannot defecate.
Attached Thumbnails
pushmepullyou-jpg  
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #40  
Old 12-18-2018, 09:20 AM
Chi-Town's Avatar
Chi-Town Chi-Town is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,329
Thanks: 12
Thanked 283 Times in 156 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
So, why do they only pick up the recycling once per week, but they pick up the trash twice per week?
Let your trash and recyclables sit in your garage for a week and let us know which one smells. Do we have Ocean-friendly restaurants in the Villages?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
  #41  
Old 12-18-2018, 09:22 AM
collie1228 collie1228 is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,163
Thanks: 0
Thanked 89 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Top five CO2 emitting countries, in order, are China, USA, India, Russian Federation and Japan (from Investopedia, March 2018).
  #42  
Old 12-18-2018, 09:53 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is online now
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 37,766
Thanks: 2,253
Thanked 1,717 Times in 660 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by collie1228 View Post
Top five CO2 emitting countries, in order, are China, USA, India, Russian Federation and Japan (from Investopedia, March 2018).
The earth is warming and greenhouse gases are rising because of increased industrialization which has halved starvation and poverty since 1990. Very few people are in denial.

Some march. I say study the problem. BUT, BUT when money is involved than human greed and ugliness can sidetrack even the best efforts.

It is not as simple as being in denial or stopping the use of straws. Some people are willing to go to great efforts to do ANYTHING they can. I know a couple who uses no heat or air conditioning here in The Villages. I know someone who hangs her clothes out to dry. I know many who use rocks in their yard.

The formulas espoused to solve the problem have become like denominations in religions, do this, don't do that, and well, I will let you finish my thoughts.

Unless and until we can find out exactly what works we all will do what we think best. We are not unkind or unfeeling, most of us. I grow a little tired of the hatred.
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #43  
Old 12-18-2018, 05:00 PM
Aloha1 Aloha1 is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 832
Thanks: 497
Thanked 321 Times in 131 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The earth is warming and greenhouse gases are rising because of increased industrialization which has halved starvation and poverty since 1990. Very few people are in denial.

Some march. I say study the problem. BUT, BUT when money is involved than human greed and ugliness can sidetrack even the best efforts.

It is not as simple as being in denial or stopping the use of straws. Some people are willing to go to great efforts to do ANYTHING they can. I know a couple who uses no heat or air conditioning here in The Villages. I know someone who hangs her clothes out to dry. I know many who use rocks in their yard.

The formulas espoused to solve the problem have become like denominations in religions, do this, don't do that, and well, I will let you finish my thoughts.

Unless and until we can find out exactly what works we all will do what we think best. We are not unkind or unfeeling, most of us. I grow a little tired of the hatred.
__________________
Roseville, MI, East Lansing, MI, Okemos, MI, Kapalua, HI, Village of Pine Ridge
  #44  
Old 12-23-2018, 11:50 AM
Barefoot's Avatar
Barefoot Barefoot is online now
Sage
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winters in TV, Summers in Canada.
Posts: 17,616
Thanks: 1,060
Thanked 156 Times in 108 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Yes recycling should be good but yes there are problems as well. It needs to be done correctly. This is another example about how we need to learn to not just accept everything at face value and look at both sides before we jump to conclusions.
Recycling is in trouble — and it might be your fault
Great article, very informative, thanks fw.
__________________
Barefoot At Last
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
  #45  
Old 12-23-2018, 11:56 AM
Dick and Lin Dick and Lin is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: The Villages FL
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Dick and Lin
Default

Johnny Rockets has great haddock!
Closed Thread

Tags
abuse, ocean, courage, locally, pictures

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.